Learn from my Mistakes Mule Deer thread!!

Ok guys so I've been bowhunting for 20+ years and for some reason i have never hunted Mule Deer?? Im not sure why or how that has happened but its about to change. I thought it would be fun to do a live thread keeping up with my preparation and things i do both wrong and right with this hunt. I also have a podcast called hook and arrow that I will post links to as well as youtube videos because i plan to film a ton both before and during the hunt.

This is the moose I killed last year. (No real need for this picture other than I like to show it to people)
5a6933d92c5a7f78bc34a2a88746e7d2.jpg

I drew a Colorado archery deer tag.
I have hunted this area once 6 years ago for elk. It is gorgeous country with the bottoms being around 10K feet and where the deer are around 12k+ When i hunted it 6 years ago i never actually saw an elk but there was tons of elk sign and I saw lots of deer. That and the fact that the fishing is awesome is what led me to burn 3 points on this tag.

FIRST MISTAKE!!! My first mistake on this hunt is not scouting. I live in Texas so it is around a 14 hour drive to where i am hunting. Couple that with the fact that I have 2 year old twins that are in the middle of potty training, If i ever want to hunt again i better not try to take a scouting trip. I completely understand that scouting is important. And if i draw my Wyoming Region G tag next year I will be making a scouting trip or at least going up for a extended period of time.

We will be leaving Texas on September 2 and hunting September 3-9. I will be joined by my best friend Brian and his dad Clay on this hunt. Brian and Clay will be getting Elk tags and possibly a bear tag. I will also be purchasing a elk tag with hopes of making a second trip late September if i don't punch my tag. As far as expectations go, I plan on killing a deer. That said it may not be a big deer. From the time I've spent in the mountains it won't be hard to kill a forky. I plan on being pretty selective the first 4-5 days and looking for a good solid 4 point. If I see a few decent deer i may even be more picky and see if I can't get on a 150" + buck. But as you can tell I know going into it I'm not hunting a 200" deer.

I have two areas that I plan on hunting. Both are 2000+ft elevation gain and 2.5 miles plus from the truck.

If the animals aren't there where i think they will be we will keep going. This will be a backpack hunt. The way the mountains set up we will have to hike out in order to change locations. SO the plan is to hike into the first area with enough food for 4 days and nights. At that point we can either hike out and reload on food and hike back in or we can come out and change mountains. Its kind of imbarassing to say but this will be my first true backpack hunt. My moose hunt last year we had a cabin and cook :D we weren't roughing it. Although the 60 mile horseback ride out of camp was pretty rough. That said I'm not worried about it and i am really looking forward to it.

I am going to go fairly light even tho I could cut more with a few different pieces of gear. Here is most of my gear list. I will add exact pieces and numbers when i pack.

Gear List:
Sleeveless first Lite Merino
1/4 Zip First Lite Merino
First Lite Puffy
Yukon Rain Jacket
Attack Pants
Merino Socks
1 Extra Pair Socks
Merino Underwear
Lowa boots
Gloves
Billed Beanie

Elite Impulse 34 29"70#
Easton Axis 432 grains finished
Rage P+ broadhead with 1 wacem 4 blade in the quiver for elk
tight spot quiver
Carter target 4 release

Kifaru Duplex Highcamp bag w organizer pocket and Lid
Big Agnes 15 degree bag w/ TI Goat Bivi for Bugs
Mountain Smith Mountain Shelter LT
Sea to summit Pillow
Big Agnes Insulated Pad
Squeeze Water Filter w 2 64 oz pouches
Nalgene
Easton Carbon Poles
Garmin Oregon GPS
Delorme In Reach(to check in with Wife)
Kill kit with bomb bags
Primus Stove w 1 fuel Canister
Razor HD 10x42
Leupold 50mm gold ring spotter
Tripod
G3x camera

I havent gotten my food completely sorted out other than a mountain house for dinner each night.

So this is what I have so far guys. I have been busting my ass at the guy and I am currently doing a workout program from one of my buddies in Austin called the Ultimate Predator. It is a lot of pack work and long heavy tire drags. Still hoping to drop 10-15# in these last 7 weeks but I am getting pumped.

Last edited:

mdfanatic1980

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck - I look forward to seeing how you do. I completely understand about the scouting trip. I'm in a very similar situation and on the fence as to if I should scout it or not. Mine is a 2nd season deer hunt - so a little different scenario in that aspect.

DRUSS

WKR
looks like i did this opposite of you, i am going to G this year and was thinking colorado next season....

OP
Jtelarkin08
looks like i did this opposite of you, i am going to G this year and was thinking colorado next season....

I figured it would be good to get a little practice glassing and stuff before I draw a good tag like that. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Jtelarkin08
Deleted my pics because someone already msg me and said they could tell exactly where it was haha

Chris

FNG
Don't worry too much about scouting ahead of time. I'm in the same boat as you as far as distance but have done well in the past with 7 days of hunting.

I'm following along to see how you do.

This year I've decided to get serious about mule deer too. I live in VA so there will be no scouting for me. I drew deer archery tags in NV and CO. I've never been to either unit but I absolutely love seeing and hunting new country. I've spot and stalked elk a few times but never committed like this. NV starts in just over two weeks. My preparations have been: shooting longer ranges, working out, lots of time on Google Earth, and tweaking all of my gear. I took the rubber feet off of my Vortex tripod and epoxied field tips to make it more stable. My gear is well refined from backpack hunting elk for the last fifteen years or so. I'm expecting this hunt to be a little less physical because so much time will be spent glassing from ridges. But I've been wrong before. We'll see how this works out.

Good luck!!!

rhendrix

WKR
Just saw this, good luck my man, use GE to your advantage. Especially the sunrise and sunset features, it really helps you find those cliffs and rock out cropping that have shade that your likely to find a buck bedded in mid day.

OP
Jtelarkin08
Got my sight tape tweaked and dialed in today. This was after I put my tape on. One from 50,60,70 &80

c079ec29f31e557797afdee5b11ee663.jpg

rhendrix

WKR
Nice work man! I need to dial in my yardage marks more over the next couple of weeks. What program did you use to make your tapes?

OP
Jtelarkin08
Nice work man! I need to dial in my yardage marks more over the next couple of weeks. What program did you use to make your tapes?

I use archers advantage online

LJ Buck

WKR
One mistake you can make is by NOT buying Robby Denning's book. Personally best mule deer hunting book i have laid eyes on. I almost hate recommending it, i am a bit selfish.

Last edited:
OP
Jtelarkin08
So I'll go into a lot more detail about this later. But I just received these pics from the guy scouting my area for me. I'm getting pumped now :)
afb095938ad4967ae3ce70cb1a661dea.jpg

3a443810875aba17cc8f6381a9b0b741.png

7a11d339498b7d7f321f3cde8dfe20dd.jpg

99ac833a94f2cb2c0507665abb25ed06.jpg

ea4ad9b5876e3a94bd75a2636bb11b84.jpg

Chris

FNG
Awesome pics. Hope you get to run an arrow through at least one of those critters.

rhendrix

WKR
Targets acquired...those bucks all have good deep forks man. And those bulls are good to go!

Mmcan

WKR
My only additions are to shoot longer than you're used to, and possibly decrease your weight a bit w a lighter sleeping bag since you could wear warm clothes inside it to stay warm.

And no doubt, even if you think you're in good shape, run more and do more leg/glute work. Theres no way to train for altitude in Texas ( I live in Dallas and deal w this all the time) unless you're running around the Davis Mountains and Big Bend (I highly recommend it!)

Felix40

WKR
Having someone out there scouting for you is going to help a ton. The deer seem to disappear when the season opens in some areas but it looks like he has you squared away.