Learn how to read hunting book??

bbell

WKR
Ok, I have been searching but can't find what I have in mind. My boy is 7 and is obsessed with hunting. He is learning how to read and I thought it would be great to get a book he could read that is hunting related. I checked Sportsmans Warehouse and Cabelas and didn't find anything. You guys have any ideas on beginner level reading material that is hunting or at least outdoor related? Thanks for any idea!

Brandon

When I was a kid I read Where the Red Fern Grows. Also all the dog books from Jim Kjelgaard (Big Red, Snow Dog, Stormy, etc), Kjelgaard wrote books on hunting (forest patrol & furious moose) as well not just dog related but usually kid related writing.

I have bought several Kjelgaard books and the Red Fern books for nephews who are interested in the outdoors. They make good Christmas gifts...

Your son may too old for these but for anyone looking for some hunting kids books I highly recommend these. My son loves them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

bbell

WKR
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I had forgot about Jim Kjelgaard. Will have to get some of his books. I read different books to him like hatchet and was hoping to find a more beginner reader that he can read to keep himself motivated. He hasn't picked up on it super well but is trying. He can hike forever but sitting to read for 5 min about kills him. :)
Throwin Darts- Those books look awesome. Those would have been favorites for sure in our house.

I've been looking for the exact same thing for my little ones. I love Kjelgaard when I was a kid, but I remember reading them when I was more like 9-11. I recently found my old copy of "irish Red" and have been reading it to my kids, but it is a little (maybe quite a bit) beyond what I would expect for them (just started reading well at 6).

I picked up "the deer hunting book" on amazon which he will get for christmas, and it looks like it it written at a pretty low/starter level. I also got "summer of the woods" which is apparently outdoor, but I haven't read it.

The best 'outdoor' really early starting books were seem books about a dog called "charlie the ranch dog" they are very basic but have a lot better story line than a lot of the stupid stuff our there for kids (robots stories and Dr. guess crap).

I got "Hatchet" earlier but I don't think he's ready for it.

Keep 'em coming! I need something to keep my kids stimulated. Doing all I can to keep them away from the computer...

Johnboy

WKR
... Also all the dog books from Jim Kjelgaard (Big Red, Snow Dog, Stormy, etc), Kjelgaard wrote books on hunting (forest patrol & furious moose) as well not just dog related but usually kid related writing.
Definitely this right here.

I was at Sportsmans Warehouse and they had a line of "my first" books like My first BB Gun, My First Bow, My first rifle, etc. They were near the pop guns and coyote fur hats. Might be worth double checking there at your local store.

Vids

WKR
I found a book on Amazon last year called "Deer Hunting with Daddy". My little guy hasn't been too crazy about it yet, but it's a good starter book.

Last edited:

Ucsdryder

WKR
Not hunting related but close. When I was a kid I couldn’t get enough of Louis L’amour. About the only thing I would read. He’s probably a little young but they’re easy reads and will keep his focus.

OP
B

bbell

WKR
Awesome! I will check into these as well. We do audiobooks during road trips and will have to add some of these to that list as well. I grew up traveling listening cassettes of Louis L’amour👍

Robster

Lil-Rokslider
Not hunting related but close. When I was a kid I couldn’t get enough of Louis L’amour. About the only thing I would read. He’s probably a little young but they’re easy reads and will keep his focus.
Same here, I must have read every L.L. book at least three to four times.

Robster

Lil-Rokslider
How about Rascal by Sterling North. I enjoyed that as a kid

Also look into My Side of the Mountain by Jean George