Learned something new today

bohntr

WKR
I presumed your “podium” comment to be in reference to tournament winners. My point was that not many average shooters win tournaments, so making a comment about the best in an attempt to negate a comment about the average is a nonsequitur.

The poorer the form, the more likely there is to be a benefit for the lesser surface area generally provided by MBH’s.
I’ve been lucky and won a few over the years……I am definitely an average Joe shooter. My hunting partner has won several broadhead tournaments over the years….he is also an average archer (Joe) as well. He just shoots a lot and understands form.

So what you’re saying is exactly what my tests concluded, the broadhead itself is not more accurate just more tolerant for those with poor shooting form? What my latest tests showed (with a shooting machine) is the newer shorter heads shot exactly and often more consistent than mechanicals. One such head that performed very high was the original Wac’em Triton 100 grain head.

Just trying to answer the OP’s question with real life data and tests…..and not something regurgitated or heard from some ‘pro’ flat brimmer on a pod cast. 😁

MattB

WKR
What broadhead shoot allows mechanical?

Everything I see always has a 7/8" minimum.
Interesting question as I have never shot a BH tournament.

As stated above I have seen that a number of top target archers hunt with MBH’s. Your question might help explain why they may shoot a different BH in competition than in the field.

From what I remember hearing/reading, most of the pros (Tim Gillingham, specifically) prefer mechanical over fixed past a certain yardage, usually 60+ yards. The smaller profile has less wind drag over time and causes less float. Seems to make sense to me, but I’m also not shooting anything at that yardage

MattB

WKR
I’ve been lucky and won a few over the years……I am definitely an average Joe shooter. My hunting partner has won several broadhead tournaments over the years….he is also an average archer (Joe) as well. He just shoots a lot and understands form.

So what you’re saying is exactly what my tests concluded, the broadhead itself is not more accurate just more tolerant for those with poor shooting form? What my latest tests showed (with a shooting machine) is the newer shorter heads shot exactly and often more consistent than mechanicals. One such head that performed very high was the original Wac’em Triton 100 grain head.

Just trying to answer the OP’s question with real life data and tests…..and not something regurgitated or heard from some ‘pro’ flat brimmer on a pod cast. 😁
Comparing the result of tournament winners (by definition not average) to the expected results of 100 average shooter still misses the point. Your comment on some BH’s being more tolerant of poor form than other hits on it however.

No one hunts with a Hooter Shooter so, while results derived from that sort of testing addresses the accuracy potential of a given broadhead, it doesn’t translate to hunting conditions for the vast majority of bowhunters.

bohntr

WKR
Comparing the result of tournament winners (by definition not average) to the expected results of 100 average shooter still misses the point. Your comment on some BH’s being more tolerant of poor form than other hits on it however.

No one hunts with a Hooter Shooter so, while results derived from that sort of testing addresses the accuracy potential of a given broadhead, it doesn’t translate to hunting conditions for the vast majority of bowhunters.
So if the most accurate and consistent broadhead tested, out to 100 yards, was not a mechanical head then that doesn’t apply to the vast majority of Bowhunters in the field?

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
Neither of you is technically wrong. Mechanicals tend to be without having a tuned bow, if your bow is tuned correctly, fixed should be as accurate as mechanical.

So if the most accurate and consistent broadhead tested, out to 100 yards, was not a mechanical head then that doesn’t apply to the vast majority of Bowhunters in the field?

I don't think it necessarily does.

I have a HS as well, I have played with it a bunch with broadheads, I have also tuned bows in it for people only to give them the bow and it be way out of wack with them shooting.

Forgiving is what ultimately makes for an accurate arrow for most shooters.

There's a lot of excellent fixed heads available now, but not all are that forgiving in actual use, especially if you are getting up around 300 fps.

Just take the difference in the Exodus heads. Exactly same head, nice and compact, but still a good cut diameter, with full and swept blades. The full is way more susceptible to a breakdown in form at the shot. Out of the HS you won't find a difference in their accuracy, assuming everything is tuned correctly. I haven't found an actual shooter who will be as accurate with the Full as the Swept blades. The "Fliers" become way more pronounced.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
One such head that performed very high was the original Wac’em Triton 100 grain head.
I once said years ago, that if I had to choose any fixed BH to shoot at long range "with my money on the line", it would be the original Wac'em Triton.

As for average Joe's.....I consider those to be average "guys" that don't get paid to shoot or hunt. I've known several of those average Joe's that were outstanding well-above average "shooters".

I'd say fixed heads are actually more accurate. if they weren't then why would we fine tune our bows with fixed heads aka broadhead tuning. a fixed blade goes exactly where it points. something that has equal steering both front and back should theoretically be more accurate than something with only rear steering. at least that's my theory but what is our baseline for the term accuracy? using the average joe as an example isn't a good one because the av. joe has a hard enough time putting field points in the same spot so then in that respect neither are accurate or both are equally as accurate, whichever you choose.
I tend to agree with BG that forgiveness is what make the difference. fixed blades do not leave much room for personal or environmental variables.

Pramo

WKR
Perfect world I can always get both fixed and expendables to shoot fine to 80+, throw some wind in the mix and 60+ yards I'd rather shoot a Sevr 1.5 low profile mechanical. With all that said normal hunting ranges 10-40 yards I'd prefer fixed exodus or ironwill's but I always carry an expandable or two in the quiver for windy days

rclouse79

WKR
I will say I was not able to get my broadheads to group worth a crap when I was shooting the underspined arrows the bow shop set me up with. Although I was able to fix my broadhead groups after getting proper arrows, I still have more confidence in a Sevr hitting closer to my point of aim if I have a form breakdown.

something that has equal steering both front and back should theoretically be more accurate than something with only rear steering.
From an aerodynamic perspective, steering elements on the front end of an arrow are never a good thing. To achieve stable arrow flight, center of pressure must lie behind center of gravity, and stability improves the further apart CoP and CoG are. Better stability means the arrow is better able to stay on its original course when subjected to disturbances such as crosswind. Any increase in surface area on the front end (e.g., the greater exposed blade area of a fixed head vs. a mechanical) pushes CoP forward (closer to CoG) and thus decreases arrow stability. Depending on the magnitude of the CoP shift, the effect on stability (and accuracy) may or may not be noticeable in practice, but the aerodynamics of the matter are clear: rear steering elements = good, front steering elements = bad.

If a fixed blade broadhead hits where you are aiming, how much more accurate can you get?

Easy to get one or two heads to do. Harder with multiple heads. I've done all the bare shaft paper tuning stuff, bow is tuned well, form is consistent, and I can get different heads to hit different spots by moving them from shaft to shaft. Maybe I should try different heads? Or different shafts? Or I can spin on a Sevr and kill everything I shoot at.

mighty, I see what you're saying but COG isn't determined by the fact there are fins on the front. as far as archery is concerned, I agree with you simply because an arrow never actually leaves straight so it becomes easier for rear steer to have an effect on trajectory by way of leverage. but if both are launched straight then aerodynamically the broadhead is more stable. this is why there are front fins on alot of things that fly. we see it as less stable but really its the opposite because it simply maintains its course resisting the counter effects of the fletching. again, I agree this is not ideal in archery but its because arrows never truly leave straight so its all a balancing act between components and enviro. variables. even through all of that, some of us still manage to send broadheads and FP's out to 100 yds with no problem so I honestly don't believe any one is more accurate than the other, I think its more that we don't want to spend the time perfecting our setup and that's OK.