Learning Animal Behavior

edevans

FNG
Being a new hunter to the west, I still have a lot to learn. There is a lot of information and resources to learn about new gear or various hunting techniques. I can find that online and through other outlets (like rokslide). One of my struggles has been learning animal behavior. I assume that comes with more time in the field. But I thought it would be possible to cut down on that learning curve by utilizing online resources or books. Does anyone have any recommendations on resources to learn animal behavior (elk or mule deer)? Even resources for learning more about wildlife migrations would be helpful.

Thanks for the help!

mlob1one

WKR
Being a new hunter to the west, I still have a lot to learn. There is a lot of information and resources to learn about new gear or various hunting techniques. I can find that online and through other outlets (like rokslide). One of my struggles has been learning animal behavior. I assume that comes with more time in the field. But I thought it would be possible to cut down on that learning curve by utilizing online resources or books. Does anyone have any recommendations on resources to learn animal behavior (elk or mule deer)? Even resources for learning more about wildlife migrations would be helpful.

Thanks for the help!
Www.Roehuntingresources.com

He breaks down the behavior better than anyone else I've seen.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

OXN939

WKR
You can watch videos and research online, but there is no substitute for being in the same sensory environment as animals while you observe them. Treat every opportunity you have to watch game animals, including ones you're not hunting for, as a valuable learning experience.

Kudos for asking a question that is much more important than the "new hunter max range of my Creedmoor" threads.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Resources are helpful, but nothing takes the place of on the job training. Go out into the field and watch animals and try to understand their behavior. Then just when you think you might have it, they do something different.

Plainsman79

Lil-Rokslider
As mentioned, being in deer country and observing them as much as possible is the best teacher. But if your looking for some reading material specifically about behaviors. The book “mule deer” by Dennis Austin is pretty good. He’s a biologist in Utah and talks a lot about deer behavior. I just got “precision bow hunting” by John and Chris Eberhart. Although it’s a whitetail book, it’s specifically breaks down deer behavior by all 12 months. I haven’t read it yet, so I can’t say if it’s any good. There’s also a few more books out there, that are good. Do a search on the this site, I believe this topic came up last year.

Rich M

WKR
Im assuming that you want to be able to tell if an animal is about to run?

Or are you more concerned about the biology stuff like food, bedding, etc.?

Tmac

WKR
Anything by Valerius Geist. For example, his book on mule deer will teach you quite a bit. Will help make sense out of what you see in the field. Books about hunting, by Long, Eastman etc. are geared more towards the hunting. The combo gives you a solid base and helps accelerate your learning for the limited time most have in the field.

Last edited:

dtrkyman

WKR
I could read until the cows came home, I gotta figure it out myself, not everything works for everyone!

Rich M

WKR
I dont know about elk but can tell you when a deer is gonna bolt and that you had better shoot.