Learning Back tension

Hey Guys
I am looking to learn to shoot with a back tension release instead of my trigger. I got a couple questions about the actual release aid.
Looks like there are basically 2 kinds, a hinge style and one such as the carter evolution. What do you prefer and why? Are all hinge's created equal, meaning are some brands better than others mechanically? I know they will fit my hand different.
Thanks

CaseyU

WKR
Hey there. Just fyi back tension is just the act of using your back muscles to squeeze together putting pressure on both your grip and the trigger. You can shoot a trigger release using back tension. Hinge are very good to learn on but do not be intimidated to jump to a thumb style release. No matter what you go with keep practicing and it will become second nature. And like with most things. You get what you for. Have fun guy you wont go back

Last edited:
OP
Jake Leibke
Casey- thanks. I do know you can shoot a trigger with back tension but I am having a hard time with it.... thats why I am looking at a hand held back tension instead of a wrist strap....

vcb

WKR
Jake I also had a hard time shooting bt consistent with a trigger. I went to a thumb and have never commanded a shot since. I love my thumb...I don't have any experience with a hinge or true bt release though

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
For those looking or wanting more info, I would sen Darin Cooper a PM. He has written several articles regarding this topic that are great for the beginner or the advanced archer. I would think he could summarize them quickly or post a link to the article or information. There is a lot of misinformation about how to shoot back tension, and truthfully the term back tension is not even the best way to describe what is happening. It is just not the firing of the release, "shot sequence" is as important, which is the total process from the begging of the shot to the follow through.

We have talked about this in old thread which you can search or hopefully Darin will chime in. He is a wealth of information for this and many other technical issues related to archery.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another good source is John Dudley. He has a couple of articles on back tension, actually one article which has two parts. You can read them at www.dudleyarchery.com/info. Once on the webpage, go to the Article tab and then go to page four for the two part article.

Elc1973

FNG
I got the carter evolution just because it had a safety on it so I wouldn't punch myself in the nose! But did any way you have to remember to use the safety I guess! Anyway it's a good aid for learning back tension but be prepared to be frustrated. There was several nights I was happy to fire one shot but after repetition it is second nature.

Lawnboi

WKR
lots and lots of blank bailing is a good start.

Cant speak for a release. I used a backtension release when I first started out. Now I shoot a thumb trigger, same basic principals

vcb

WKR
Thanks rosinbag, I read DC's article and it was a great read. I didn't know about Dudley. I will check it out

One tip to shoot back tension with a traditional trigger release is to crank the trigger pull up as high as it will go.

I always thought I was shooting back tension until I got back into traditional archery a couple years ago. That showed me what TRUE back tension shooting felt like and I have since applied it to my compound shooting. I haven't shot this well since I was in high school shooting competitively.

vcb

WKR
You can shoot a trigger with back tension. If u want I think the best thing u can do is shorten that release. I mean short and get the trigger to lay in the first crease of your index finger. "Hook" your finger over the trigger then use back tension to unconsciously release the arrow. Like Rossinbag said there are other threads that have been dedicated to this topic

You can also cinch the strap down higher and tighter on your wrist to suck it in even closer to the hand.

Jake,

Check out the Carter Squeeze Me. Its a true tension activated index release. It will help train you to pull through your shot while still hunting with your index trigger! Helped me a ton.

rodney482

WKR
1st thing that is a must ehen shooting BT is proper DL. 1/4" too long/short can make a difference.

I also recommend dropping your lbs by 10.

Start at 5 yds and blank bale with it.

I would go to a proshop who has a nice selection of BT releases and find one you like.