Learning to Bugle

King68

FNG
Any info/tips/video resources you can recommend on learning to bugle? Just picked up the Rocky Mountain Bully Bull Black Ovis Exclusive Elk Grunt Tube from CamoFire. Thanks!

Maverick1

WKR
There are quite a few good resources out there, a couple are mentioned above.

One thing to also consider is that you don't have to have a "perfect" sounding bugle: making the right sound at the right time is just as important!

Last edited:

TBHasler

WKR
2nd the elk nut app. If you want to practice and actually hear (recording) what you actually sound like compared to the real thing - this app is a worthwhile investment.

Sammymusi

WKR
I'm in thr same boat and I've been watching alot of thr elknut stuff and the app that man is an animal!!

All above is good stuff....my only advice would be to really practice in the car. When you're in the truck alone, you can just let 'er rip without annoying anyone. As you're experimenting with making sounds, the last thing you want to have to worry about is how much noise you will make. You learn by making all sorts of noises and then refining them back into something....especially at first.

OP
King68

King68

FNG
Thanks for all the information folks. Any suggestions on preference of diaphragm?

DavePwns

WKR
Get 1 on 1 lessons from Elk Calling Academy, best elk calling resource in my opinion

Thanks for all the information folks. Any suggestions on preference of diaphragm?

There are a few threads on this but the biggest response you will get (which is my recommendation as well) are to buy a few different ones and see what fits your mouth the best. What one person says is the best may not fit your mouth at all. The Phelps Grey and Pink Amp frames seem to get a lot of first timer response on here and Phelps makes great calls. I use the Maverick often. I've used a lot of different brands over the years...some sound better than others. Lots of good options right now. Great time to be an elk hunter.

Whip

WKR
Best tip I have is to put the diaphragm in your mouth and leave it there while you work, drive, mow lawn - whatever. Move it around with your tongue to get comfortable with it. Make small sounds and vary the note and tone. Use it to play little songs to give you a feel for all the variations in sound and how to control them. When you really start to get control of what comes out, then start trying to make bugle sounds.
Practice, practice, practice! If you're learning to play a musical instrument it takes a lot of practice to sound reasonably good. A mouth diaphragm is no different. That being said, elk can be gullible, and you don't need to be perfect.

Last edited:

Sportsman

Lil-Rokslider
I use Rocky Mountain Elk calls. After buying a couple singles I found a good deal on a variety pack at Sportsman's Warehouse and found one that works best for me (white). I carried other colors as backup but in the future will stock up on what worked best.

Another thing is I had way more success with using a locator and then switching to cow calling. I know that was likely that I'm better at cow calling with the diaphragm than I am at bugling but don't underestimate cow calling. You also don't need the tube for cow calling so it's hands free although I found the tube helpful to get the sound to carry if a bugle was in the distance and the bull wasn't moving.

SonnyDay

WKR
Best tip I have is to put the diaphragm in your mouth and leave it there while you work, drive, mow lawn - whatever.

☝ One of the advantages of COVID-19 mandatory work from home. Getting lots of practice with the diaphragm during endless meetings... (and trying to always check that I'm on mute before I let her rip!)

Hey_Bear

FNG
In my opinion Cory Jacobsen and Dirk Durham are the two best sounding callers in the world and any guy learning to call would be wise to watch as many of their hunts and tutorials as they can find.

If you actually want go make sense of the language ( if you believe they have one, I do) then Elknut Paul Medel has the best resources for that.

IMO Phelps makes the easiest to use calls that last the longest, their unleashed tubes offer more control for beginners learning and the staircase notes are easier to accomplish.
Not to say Rocky doesn't make a fine tube as well, it definitely has a more appealing shape and I like the big mouth piece/opening...but in my experience the Phelps tube offers more note control.