Learning to call

puunjob1

FNG
Classified Approved
I am planning on doing my first turkey hunt next year and wanted to get some resources to learn how to call and the progression I should consider when learning to use different calls. My understanding is that box calls are the easiest to learn but are limited in the sounds they make and highly pressured birds will not respond as well. Would you start there or go straight to mouth calls? What are the key sounds I should master? Do you have any good youtube channels or sites that teach technique?

zach12321

FNG
I would get a good diaphram as soon as possible and start practicing it takes a lot practice to get confident in making the sound you want to make. I love woodhaven calls. Start off by learning a basic yelp and progress from there. I personally run a slate call and diaphrams rarely use a box. But there are lots of options out there for calls i would recommend watching a lot of videos and do some research to determine what will fit your hunting style and terrain you'll be hunting. I like the knight and hale youtube videos for starting out. And "The Hunting Public" makes a great channel for watching real hunting situations.

kloppy

FNG
Calling All Turkeys has a good compilation of hen vocalizations that I find to be a good resource for mimicking real hens. Depending on the hen they can sound wildly different so you do not have to sound perfect, as long as you have the right cadence/rhythm.

If you go mouth call (which I think everyone should), dont get discouraged if you suck at the beginning. We all did. Just get one to start with until you get the hang of it, then you can branch out to other brands/cuts and fine tune your sound. I certainly think some calls are easier to learn on than others, and for the beginner I would suggest something like a 2.5 reed ghost cut. Bottom line is you have to practice a bunch and try a lot of calls until you find what works. Good luck - there is nothing like turkey hunting.

Zdub02

WKR
Check out Scott Ellis and Preston Pitman on Youtube. Mossberg offers some helpful "how to" videos as well. Best thing to do is to pick a call then keep it with you all the time. Practice will be what improves your calling, regardless of call type. Also listen to real turkey vocalizations and pay attention. Nothing better to learn from than the real thing.

Jimss

WKR
Mouth calls all the way. They only cost a few bucks and you can make so many different types of sounds/calls with one mouth call. Your hands are also available to shoot a bird rather than setting down a box or pot call. Turkeys have great eye=sight! Youtube has great videos.

Although I love mouth calls I wouldn’t give up on a good box call. Probably the best turkey hunter I ever hunted with was a guy from Georgia and the only call he carries is a lynch box call . That guy could kill a turkey anywhere!

dtrkyman

WKR
Shane Simpson has some great calling demo vids.

Watch Pinhoti project with Dave Owens, disclaimer, he may make your calling seem pathetic after listening to him! Good to hear what a guy can do with a turkey call though!

Other than a mouth call I use a pot and peg, slate and crystal are my favorite, David Halloran builds some fine calls, listen to that dude run a box call!!!

MJB

WKR
Listen to live turkeys only. Don't listen to humans calling like a turkey for that I use tree top turkeys on Spotify.

Box call for locating & windy days. I use knight and Hale switch blade.
Slate is my favorite with the largest range to cover most turkey talk. I use the crystal cherry from woodhaven.
Mouth calls I use Hooks call the executioner.

As for calling my rule of thumb, I want to sound like two hens mucking it up.
Once he's coming stop calling unless he's not coming.
Calling aggressive works just don't over call over and over again less is more.