Learning to setup and tune.

RyanM

Lil-Rokslider
So, I’ve been shooting most of my life and now I’m wanting to start learning how to actually tune and setup on my own. Does anybody know any good informational videos or any books? I’ve tried asking techs at shops and some say shops have said it’s a liability and some techs just don’t like people looking over their shoulders (which is understandable). Any info helps, just trying Learn.

OP
RyanM

RyanM

Lil-Rokslider
Read the Easton tuning guide that was posted on here by another member.

Then keep a notebook with your tuning adjustments. The changes you made and the results. Helps to keep things straight.
Perfect, I’ll look it up. Thanks!

Look up the "nock on" YouTube channel and search for the "nocked and ready to rock" series.

Also just look up John Dudley and Nock on. Tons of tuning and setup info available.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

OP
RyanM

RyanM

Lil-Rokslider
Look up the "nock on" YouTube channel and search for the "nocked and ready to rock" series.

Also just look up John Dudley and Nock on. Tons of tuning and setup info available.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
Will do, thanks!

MT257

WKR
I’m in the same boat I just read as much as I could about my bow and tuning. I went over and search archery talk. They even have brand specific forums over there. Lots of info. Just be prepared there are multiple thoughts and ideas over there. I ended up buying a portable press a cheaper vise a couple leaves some serving and set my bow up. Take your time and make notes on what your bow was before you do anything that way you have a reference to go off of.

NYSKIER

WKR
I know it has been mentioned already but taking notes is imperative. Also don't make changes to quickly. I'd look up the nuts and bolts archery pdf it's a nice thing to look through. On top of that there are tons of instructional videos online and you can always come here when you have an issue you need a worktrough for

OP
RyanM

RyanM

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in the same boat I just read as much as I could about my bow and tuning. I went over and search archery talk. They even have brand specific forums over there. Lots of info. Just be prepared there are multiple thoughts and ideas over there. I ended up buying a portable press a cheaper vise a couple leaves some serving and set my bow up. Take your time and make notes on what your bow was before you do anything that way you have a reference to go off of.
I’ll give it a look. Thanks

OP
RyanM

RyanM

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with both of the above references. This is also a great write up that goes way in depth of different tuning techniques. I also like youtube as a reference but not all the info you can find is accurate. I personally do tuning on both my boys, wife and my bow with a bow master cable press.

http://archeryhistory.com/archerytalk/The_Nuts&Bolts_of_Archery.pdf
I’ll give it a read, I’m looking for things like this to be more self sufficient when it comes to tuning and working on my bow if need be. I travel for work and depending on where I’m at, sometimes have to drive 60-90 miles to find a bow shop. Thank you!

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
I recently moved and don't have any shops close...which is the price you pay for having elk in your back yard ;-)

I bought a little press, changed my strings and did my d-loop, peep, etc.

The John Dudley stuff has really helped me. And Lancaster chat.

There’s a very good hands-on class offered a few times a year by Fulcrum Archery (www.fulcrumarchery.com). It’s usually held in the Dallas, TX area. People attend from various parts of the country. All tools, supplies, and bows are supplied. O experience necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
RyanM

RyanM

Lil-Rokslider
There’s a very good hands-on class offered a few times a year by Fulcrum Archery (www.fulcrumarchery.com). It’s usually held in the Dallas, TX area. People attend from various parts of the country. All tools, supplies, and bows are supplied. O experience necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, definitely going to look into that.

Beendare

WKR
Good on you OP...its a worthy exercise to learn how to tune.

I can tell you some of it is just doing it; trial and error. Anytime you make an adjustment; note it...so you can go back if necessary.

Lots of good tuning guides; Easton, Nuts and Bolts, many threads on Archery Talk if you search there you will find them. Many of the pros provide tuning instruction.

Hers the skinny; there are many techniques...and they all work. No right or wrong technique as long as you have perfect arrow flight which result in your BH's and FP's grouping at 50yds.

What you will find is there are other factors unrelated to tuning that can affect you; Form flaws and poor arrow assembly...you have to address those too.

OP
RyanM

RyanM

Lil-Rokslider
Good on you OP...its a worthy exercise to learn how to tune.

I can tell you some of it is just doing it; trial and error. Anytime you make an adjustment; note it...so you can go back if necessary.

Lots of good tuning guides; Easton, Nuts and Bolts, many threads on Archery Talk if you search there you will find them. Many of the pros provide tuning instruction.

Hers the skinny; there are many techniques...and they all work. No right or wrong technique as long as you have perfect arrow flight which result in your BH's and FP's grouping at 50yds.

What you will find is there are other factors unrelated to tuning that can affect you; Form flaws and poor arrow assembly...you have to address those too.

Yeah I figured since I’ve been shooting awhile and building arrows for awhile it’s seems like the right idea to be able to setup and work on my own bow as well. Lol now I’m not the best shot in the world and I have off days, but my form has been pretty consistent for the most part. An old shoulder injury flair up now and then, so I have some off days. That’s the problem I’ve been running into when looking up tuning techniques, is there’s so many it gets overwhelming sometimes. I’ve been reading through some of the info the other guys posted and I’m thinking I just need to find a way that works for me and get after it now, thanks!