Learning to shoot traditional with a coach that shot Olympics?

I have had interest in learning to shoot traditional in the hopes of getting good enough to hunt traditional. I have put it off for a few years due to the thought I really need someone to teach me. Also for the last 6 years I have worked with someone who over the years I have heard mention her dad and that he was really into archery. She would mention things like how they traveled here or there when she was young for her dad to shoot. She also would sometimes mention her dad taught archery at the college. A while ago I gathered that he was actually an Olympic shooter. Last weekend we were at a work function and her dad stopped by. For some reason at that moment it hit me that if he shot in the Olympics he shot traditional and if he teaches archery he probably teaches traditional. I decided to go talk to him and after a chat he said he would be happy to teach me and that he had a lot of bows that I could try.

So my question here is can I learn to shoot traditional focused on hunting mechanics from a target shooter. I do think he also hunts but not sure. Are there things I should watch for like things he may teach that do not translate to hunting mechanics? I did emphasis to him I want to learn with the goal of hunting and he said no problem.

Any knowledge learned is good knowledge when shooting. If he is willing to feed you info, soak it all up from him. Most relevant thing to shooting traditional is form and having someone like him work you into good form from the start is priceless.

oldgoat

WKR
Like has been mentioned, archery is archery and the thing that is the same between all of them is form and shot sequence!

elkguide

WKR
If you hunt, you know that movement and scent control are the biggest factors in messing up your hunt. Shooting a bow requires some movement. Shooting traditional doesn't necessarily involve any more movement than with a compound. It sounds like you have an incredible opportunity to learn and begin a new adventure. Watch listen and learn but mostly enjoy your new, found opportunity!

Man I would love to jump on that train and ride it from coast to coast. By all means buddy yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattflint

FNG
Im super blessed to have a level4 coach right up the road from me. I was hesitant as when I walked in he had a lot of olympic rigs hanging.
Turns out, good form is good form.
Ive gained more from a few hours here and there with him than Ive got from any piece of gear Ive ever purchased.

Hoodie

WKR
You will almost certainly be better off than you would otherwise. A LOT of conventional wisdom in traditional archery leads to bad shooting.

An Olympic style coach will teach you proper back tension, skeletal alignment, etc. This will save you a lot of shoulder/elbow pain down the line.

Reactions: FLS
I would jump over all that . It will definitely help the learning curve. I have been shooting trad for 30 years. Pre- internet. We learned by trial and error , reading books (g fred) and talking to buddies at shoots sharing all our bad habits with each other. Bad habits are hard to break if started. Have been going over some Tom Clum teaching lately and has been very helpful . Good luck to you . It's an up and down journey, but well worth it . I wish I would have had one on one teaching from the start .

OP
MuleyFever
Hopefully it works out. He is in his 80's and I found out today his wife is having some medical issues in the last few days.