Learning to Use Scope With Cross Dominant Eye

DBAshland

FNG
Hi, folks, getting into hunting for the first time in my life at age 63, how cool is it to have to learn something utterly brand new at this age? Since I didn't grow up hunting, and don't have any local mentors, I'll pose this question here. Lots of experience with defensive handgun/shotgun/rifle since I'm retired LE, but shooting with a scoped rifle is brand new to me. I'm left eye dominant but right handed, and have always shot right handed. In starting to learn to shoot with scope, I'm having trouble getting a sharp reticle image using my right eye. I've focused and refocused reticle, but no matter what it's just a little bit off. For fun I looked through scope with my left eye and reticle was razor sharp. I do wear progressive vision eyeglasses. Short of switching to shooting left hand so I can use my left eye (which I'm considering), any suggestions from you guys that have been through this? Much appreciated!

Rich M

WKR
My eye dominance will switch when shooting shotgun if target is approaching me - hate it. Only solution I know is to shut one eye.

Been having focus issues with scope (middle aged stuff) and still mount with both eyes open, then have to shut non-dominant eye. Used to do all my shooting with both eyes open, this is a drag but we do what we gotta.

My stepson switch shoots - left or right, wish I could do that.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
If you are looking for solutions without just shooting left handed, try using an eyepatch on your left eye for a few range sessions. This has helped lots of younger shooters try to learn to not be so left eye dominant. Works at an early age but i am not sure at 63 if it will be fruitful. Good luck

OP
D

DBAshland

FNG
What scope?
I'm starting my training with a Ruger 10-22 with Nikon Prostaff 3-9x, figuring I'll be able to do lots more shooting with rimfire, plus hunt small game through the winter/spring/early summer. Once I've picked out big game rifle for next fall, it will likely be some moderately high quality 3-9x.

Fatcamp

WKR
IDK. Wonder if a higher quality scopenwould make a difference. That one is very meh.

Eye stuff is funny. Im right eye dominant but my left sees details clearer, like lining up a row of things straight. Who knows.

Maybe shooting left is the best answer.

Carl

FNG
I am solidly left hand dominant, but right eye dominant. I shoot a bow right handed, golf right handed, and can swing a bat switch. My framing tool belt (profession) has always been lefty, and I shoot and have always shot left hand. To me, it comes natural, and I have tried to shoot right hand, and it comes completely unnatural. I can focus on a reticle or target with a scope no problem. I would say to train yourself to be able to close your right eye easily and for long periods, or like said above wear an eye patch.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

zacattack

WKR
Hi, folks, getting into hunting for the first time in my life at age 63, how cool is it to have to learn something utterly brand new at this age? Since I didn't grow up hunting, and don't have any local mentors, I'll pose this question here. Lots of experience with defensive handgun/shotgun/rifle since I'm retired LE, but shooting with a scoped rifle is brand new to me. I'm left eye dominant but right handed, and have always shot right handed. In starting to learn to shoot with scope, I'm having trouble getting a sharp reticle image using my right eye. I've focused and refocused reticle, but no matter what it's just a little bit off. For fun I looked through scope with my left eye and reticle was razor sharp. I do wear progressive vision eyeglasses. Short of switching to shooting left hand so I can use my left eye (which I'm considering), any suggestions from you guys that have been through this? Much appreciated!

A few years ago someone taught me about eye dominance and shooting. At which point I learned I too am right handed and left eye dominant. Apparently that’s why my aim has kinda sucked all my life. I tried everything, patches, closing my left eye etc. At the time I was mostly hunting small game with shotguns. So I started shooting left handed, and my aim significantly improved. This year I’m going to switch rifle shooting to left handed anticipating similar results. I felt like shooting left handed was easier to learn than retraining my eyes and brain. Don’t be scared to just say screw it and shoot left handed. It just takes practice.

Also wear eye protection if your going to use a right handed gun. You’ll undoubtedly get hit by an ejected shell every so often.

ODB

WKR
With a scoped rifle shooting in hunting circumstances, eye dominance is essentially irrelevant. I’m left eye/right handed but my eyes are very close. I close my left eye just enough to ensure the right is being used. My left eye is clearer when not using glasses, and sees things cooler (more blue) than my right. Eyes are weird.

the vast majority of people shooting rifles close the non-scope eye. Take Steven rinella for example, he’s left/left but shoots with his right eye closed. At 63 you’ll gain nothing worrying about dominant eye on a scoped rifle. Go watch Olympic shooters and notice they use blinders on their non-shooting eye. This is identical to just closing your eye when shooting. It’s just that the blinder relives them from the strain of physically closing their eye. In hunting, it ain’t gonna matter.

Clarity is another thing. If you can’t clear up the scope reticle while wearing your glasses, your glasses are off. Dominance itself has nothing to do with clarity.

John Kimble

Lil-Rokslider
I have the exact same situation. I shoulder all long guns left handed and shoot my pistol right handed. I dont think there is a good alternative.

Adarby

FNG
My Dad shoots everything but his rifle right handed but with his rifle he shoots left handed. Nothing wrong with that

OP
D

DBAshland

FNG
Wow, thanks everybody for your insights! That's a ton of good info. Going to the range later today to try some things out with closing left eye, left hand shooting, etc.

I am\was in the sameish boat. Was taught how to shoot right handed and shot everything that way for 10 years. Learned I was cross eye dominant and made a decision to start shooting left handed last year and found for the first maybe 100 rounds it was rough but then it started getting easy and now it is awkward trying to shoot right handed for me. I honestly feel if you just commit to it you will find it will be that much more enjoyable to shoot. Just my 2¢

OP
D

DBAshland

FNG
Well, very interesting at the range today shooting about 75 rounds of .22 LR. Left handed shooting using left eye on scope gave me better results even with the clumsy feeling of switching hands. I get a crisp reticle image with my left eye, even with both eyes open . Nothing I try with my right eye gives me that. I think retraining myself to shoot left handed holds more promise than trying to retrain my eye dominance.