Leather boots and scent? Boot recommendations appreciated

Unclecroc

FNG
Hello what is everyone’s consensus on leather boots and scent control vs rubber boots. I would like to move to a leather boot for all my fall hunting which includes archery hunting out of a tree stand and scent control is important to me.
Does anyone have experience with this? I have always heard it’s harder to control scent with a leather boot vs a rubber boot. Is there any merit to this?

Leather is a natural material that will not stop your human scent from leaving the boot. If scent control is truly a big deal to you you should be wearing rubber boots. And full scent loc. And a scent loc face mask to filter your breath.

Or you can get the leather boots and try to hunt the wind. In my experience, it IS possible to cheat a deer's nose some of the time, even with leather boots. But not all the time. So if your plan is to ignore the wind, go full bore scent freak. Otherwise, I like leather better for the fit and support.

PMcGee

WKR
I stopped using rubber boots for tree stand hunting years ago and haven’t noticed anything different. I have a couple spots I hunt that are a decent hike in and my feet don’t like rubber boots. Hunt the wind and you’ll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Drenalin

WKR
Karl Miller was just on the East Meets West podcast this week and said that clean rubber boots would be the best thing to wear, but also pointed out that we should avoid walking where we expect deer to be. In other words, it isn't as simple as just wearing rubber boots - you still have to keep them free from odors that might spook game. I've never worn, seen, or heard of a rubber boot that didn't stink like...well, a rubber boot. Which seems like an odor that would spook game. But if you're into voodoo or other forms of magic, it seems that there are biologists (and trappers with more experience than me) who would tell you to put on the rubbers. I switched to wearing actual footwear several years ago for all my whitetail hunting, and have only been more successful as I gain experience, focus more on things that matter (wind, thermals, deer movement), and access different country. In the end, you should wear whatever you're most comfortable with that allows you to go where you want to go. I personally hate the feel of rubber boots and the noise they make (especially on a treestand platform), but I don't know that I've ever had the outcome of a hunt determined by my choice of boot.

Poser

WKR
Unless you are going full on, changing your clothes in the field, storing your clothes in airtight containers and keeping them painstakingly clean, there is no advantage to rubber boots. If you are doing all of that, then there may be some advantage. Whatever advantage they may offer in terms of scent, the performance tradeoff is not worth it if you are doing any type of real hiking. I look back on my “scent control” days of whitetail hunting and laughter at all of the ridiculous amounts of money I spent on gimmicky bullshit.

Lawnboi

WKR
What climate are you in?

I do believe it matters to a degree. Iv been busted by deer crossing my path I walked in on. Not a problem most western hunters on here encounter but it’s a real problem in some stands.

I hate rubber or neoprene calf high boots. My feet always end up wet. Went to a pac boot. Havnt noticed it causing as much of a problem but I also try to keep scent on them minimal during the season.

Honestly scent I leave walking in is about the only scent I really try to control.

OP
Unclecroc

Unclecroc

FNG
Some good points here I am probably over thinking it. The deer herd I hunt here in west central Pennsylvania is familiar with human scent and aren’t too bothered by it as far as crossing your trails.
I am mainly looking for a comfortable boot that I can drive bear and deer in that will be waterproof and supportive for long hikes.

TomJoad

WKR
I spot and stalk out west. Boots need to be prepared for lots of hard miles in awful terrain. Comfort, capability and weight are the top factors. Backpack hunting for days: no amount of locking is gonna hide that scent.

Wind, wind, wind. Nothing else matters out here.

That all being said I’m considering retiring my zamberlands next season to try to shed a few ounces so I’m interested to hear some boot recommendations!

Hogyotedeer

Banned
I really like my Lowa boots. They look a little goofy, but they are damn comfortable.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
asdew04