Leather mountain boots but lighter than most ???

Sapcut

WKR
I am looking for mountain type boots like Kennetrek Hardscrabbles, that I currently have, that are leather, stable and waterproof but not so stinkin heavy. Is there such an animal? I'm seeing where the synthetic lighter options have poor waterproof reliabilty.

What might you know of??

Thanks

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t have a great answer, but since you haven’t gotten a reply yet, I’ll add my thoughts on this.

Kind of like a lot of other things in backpacking, your desired features often pull in opposite directions. Light boots usually aren’t as stable as heavy boots. If you do make them light and stable, it would probably make them much heavier to add waterproofing.

I usually find that waterproofing is way oversold and overstated, so that’s the first feature I choose to do without on 80 percent of my hunts. In warm weather hunts, I generally find I don’t miss it that much, and I appreciate the extra breathability when I’m coving miles in warm weather. Garmont T8 Bifidas have been my recent favorites of this type.

If I need a waterproof and warm boot, I accept that good waterproofing and stability are going to cost a bit of weight. I find Rocky S2V insulated and waterproof boots to be an OK compromise. Not the most supportive, but they are very waterproof and warm and relatively lightweight for what they offer.

Being in the military has influenced those choices a little, as they are approved for wear with the uniform. But, I still use them for my hunts when I could wear anything I want.

Jordan

Lil-Rokslider
I used to wear La Sportivas and had the synthetic material blow out almost yearly. I stumbled across the Mammut Kento Guides about a year ago. They are a great lightweight boot that’s every bit as stiff as the trangos I used to wear. They have some leather which has been more durable so far the then the fully synthetic mountaineering boots I’ve had in the past. They are a narrow fit though so if your foot doesn’t like la sportiva fitting boots they may not work.

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
Zamberlan Storm Pro GTX RR is a stiff, lightweight boot that is lighter than the hardscrabble .

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I prefer boots in the 6-7" tall range with leather/cordura uppers. They're lighter weight, but have worked very well for me for archery elk hunting.

I’m surprised no one has called out the zamberlan baltoros or lowa baldos. Own them both currently and have used and loved the baldos for years, first seasons with the baltoros so tbd but they fit the description to a tee

FNG
The Lowa Tactical boots R6-GTX are the old light mountain boots of the German Army Mountain Division. They are rather soft in the sole department and the sole wore out faster than with the following model that was made by HAIX.

The Haix sole is much stiffer than tge LOWA one.
Another option: