Leather vs rubber - or do I already have too many boots?

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Some say leather boots are ideal for really long and cold tree stand sits, in part because they breathe better. To date, I've taken the other side, at least for my Alphaburly Pros (I've frozen in the past with some of my other boots). But now I'm second guessing myself. I mostly deer hunt, but occasionally shoot upland birds. Here's most of my list:
  1. Rubber
    • Alphaburly Pro 1600 - these have been awesome for bitter cold, but I admit to also using the Boot Suits and hand warmers in them for full day sits​
    • Muck boots - I wear these when I'm too lazy to deal with the hassle of the Cabela's when I'm deer hunting locally​
  2. Leather
    • Cabela's 9" Upland Pro (uninsulated and 400g insulated) - use mainly when it's hot, or for upland birds. PITA to take off and put on compared to rubber boots, or my Crispis​
    • Crispi Lapponia GTX uninsulated - purchased for elk hunting, but I love these boots for broader usage​
    • Crispi Wild Rock GTX insulated - hardly worn, but feel really good.​
Yes, some may say "you already have too many boots" (my wife said that recently). But I'm pretty good at wasting time doing research, and if there was a great option I'm not aware of, I'd welcome the input. Maybe it's as simple as giving my Wild Rocks a try on a cold day in the stand.

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
If the alphaburlys allow you to sit all day, there's no reason to second guess yourself. The alphaburlys are easily the best rubber boot on the market, and are warm as hell. My issue with them for sitting for an extended period of time is the breathability. My feet sweat and with no air circulation its even worse. That's where my Danners come in.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
If the alphaburlys allow you to sit all day, there's no reason to second guess yourself. The alphaburlys are easily the best rubber boot on the market, and are warm as hell. My issue with them for sitting for an extended period of time is the breathability. My feet sweat and with no air circulation its even worse. That's where my Danners come in.
One of your posts made me think twice! I'm wondering, do I really need 1600g, in rubber, and boot suits with hand warmers? My boots are pretty wet by the end of the day. (At least rubber boots dry pretty easily.) I may try some of the leather boots with just the boot suits - for a short sit to start - especially since I had to miss the Nebraska trip this year, so no frigid full day sits this season.

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
One of your posts made me think twice! I'm wondering, do I really need 1600g, in rubber, and boot suits with hand warmers? My boots are pretty wet by the end of the day. (At least rubber boots dry pretty easily.) I may try some of the leather boots with just the boot suits - for a short sit to start - especially since I had to miss the Nebraska trip this year, so no frigid full day sits this season.
One thing I found out a few years ago, less can actually be more. I always bought 1600-2400 gram boots, now my boots are 1000, and with boot blankets I can sit longer than my butt would prefer. My next boot will probably be 800 or 1200 gram alphaburlys for use in the snow, and I will again pair them with boot blankets. I don't think you can ever have too many boot.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Ok - slight change. I can’t seem locate either of my Cabela’s boots, so I may actually *need* a new pair of leather boots. The Crispis may be a bit stiff for replacements for the Cabelas, as Inused the latter for upland and other non-bitterly cold situations.

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
Ok - slight change. I can’t seem locate either of my Cabela’s boots, so I may actually *need* a new pair of leather boots. The Crispis may be a bit stiff for replacements for the Cabelas, as Inused the latter for upland and other non-bitterly cold situations.
I really like my Danner vital boots. Light, great traction, and comfortable. I definitely would not hesitate getting another pair.

Brendan

WKR
No such thing as too many boots.

For tree stand hunting, I still haven't found anything better than rubber. I've used the Lacrosse Aerohead for years, have a set of the Alphaburly Pro 1600 on the way. From a quality perspective, I've heard awesome things about Gumleaf Boots but haven't tried them.

The trick is moisture management. You can put a pair of socks on, stick your feet in trash bags, and then into your boot. Walk to your stand, get up in your tree or wherever, and start to cool down. Then, pop your boots off, socks and bags come off, bag up wet socks in the bags, put dry heavy socks on, back in the boots now that you're not sweating. Warm and dry boots with dry socks.

For on the ground hunting where a rubber boot doesn't offer the support, I've had great luck with the Crispi Wild Rock GTX Plus. I went half a size up from my normal hunting boot (12 to 12.5) and they've worked great for me so far. But, I don't see them being nearly as warm as rubber for tree stand or stationary sits.

Really cold, I'm interested in a set of Baffin with removable liner. And, should look into heated socks and heated vest. Tell myself that every year.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
For on the ground hunting where a rubber boot doesn't offer the support, I've had great luck with the Crispi Wild Rock GTX Plus.

And, should look into heated socks and heated vest. Tell myself that every year.
Thanks everyone.

I'm going to try my Wild Rock GTX in the stand, hopefully soon (recovering from a TBI - long story) - just to compare to the Alphaburly pair. Fortunately (or unfortunately), my son finally figured out he has my Cabela's insulated upland pro boots, so I no longer "need" to replace them.... even though I was somewhat deep into comparing a few Danders (Vital, Santiam & Hood Winter Light) to others from Hanwag, Zamberlans, Filson and Meindl. I know me - I will end up getting a pair of one of those or others at some point (and post another thread!)

I haven't used heated socks, but I do like the heated vest from Pnuma. Like others have said in a similar thread, you can't keep your feet and hands warm unless your core is warm.

Brendan

WKR
You want warm, here you go:

Having used the Wild Rock Plus GTX - they aren't as warm as Rubber or anything like the Baffin. Love mine, just a different type of boot. Wild Rock is the same boot with less insulation.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
As @cobbc03 said, since my Alphaburlys let me sit all day (admittedly with some help from Boot Suits and hand warmers in those), then I should probably just stick with those - especially since I only do that hunt once a year in Nebraska. But I'm keeping this thread in the back of my mind when I decide that I'm "short" on boots!