Leatherman favorites

Simple question, basically what is everyone’s favorite leatherman type that combines utility and lightweight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a wave. 8oz. Look at the site and filter by what tools you want. For me it is - blade, saw, file, pliers, scissors and bit driver. I use mine for game prep - saw - and field repairs mostly. I run a set of bits that will fix my bow or gun depending on the hunt. Agree with @Tod osier that better blade steel would be nice but not worth an upgrade to me. If I were starting over, I might look at one with an s30v blade.

Tod osier

WKR
I have a wave. 8oz. Look at the site and filter by what tools you want. For me it is - blade, saw, file, pliers, scissors and bit driver. I use mine for game prep - saw - and field repairs mostly. I run a set of bits that will fix my bow or gun depending on the hunt. Agree with @Tod osier that better blade steel would be nice but not worth an upgrade to me. If I were starting over, I might look at one with an s30v blade.
I'm far from a steel snob, but mine just dulls super fast. I almost wonder if it is bad steel. Knife, pliers and screwdriver bits get used all the time, that is pretty much all a skeletool has.

Last edited:

Rich M

WKR
Leatherman tools always seize up on me. I prefer Gerber. Have 1 of each and the Gerber has never given me a problem.

WMag338

WKR
Very interested in this also. I always pack a leatherman with me in my lid, but dang that thing is heavy! Wish i could find a titanium or lightweight version.

ODB

WKR
I don’t know if they are my favorite, but I have two waves. They are about like anything that tries to do too much: merely sufficient at the individual tasks.

Check out the wingman. Nothing fancy, but has spring loaded pliers and covers the basics. I use the little scissors way more than I ever thought I would

I've got a couple of Gerbers. They're okay.

I'd love to find one that doesn't have a knife blade in it.

Voyageur

WKR
My Leatherman is approximately 33 years old. I'm not sure, but it seems to me that back then there was only the one model. I've looked hard at replacing it, not because I have to or really even wanted to, but to see if I could find something "better." I have never found one I deemed better and still have my original model.

jeffpg

WKR
Being the gear junkie that I am and even more of a knife and multitool freak, I have several Leatherman's...
The Wave is a great tool but the Skeletool is my go to and finds it's way in my pocket most often. I have carried this thing everywhere and have lost & found it multiple times. We have quite a history and a big part of that is customer service related.
I once busted the plier jaws by torqueing them while trying to cut some heavy duty wire and Leatherman repaired them for free. Then, I accidentally cut into a hot wire that damaged the knife blade and they replaced that for free as well. These repairs included return shipping. They ask you if there is sentimental value, because they will replace the tool if they can't repair it.

Kudos to Letherman!

Vaultman

WKR
I have a charge+ ti. Have had it for about 12 years, and carried it all the time for the first 5-ish. Only reason I switched was the weight, and realized all I really NEEDED was a knife. Sure, every once in a while I would like to have the scissors, and a philips, but I am never to far away from my truck or toolbox that I can't go get one. Not far enough to justify always having those (and 15 other tools) in my pocket at once.

CorbLand

WKR
Carried a Sidekick for a long time before I left it on the bumper and drove off.

Bought a Wingman after that but dont carry a knife like I use to.