Leatherman-take it or leave it in the truck?

loudog

FNG
Wondering what everyones thoughts are on the value of a Leatherman in the backcountry. I have a Leatherman Wave-is it worth the 8.5oz in your backpack?

Yukondog

WKR
I take one. It is a small little thing, can't remember the name of it now. I mostly take it for the pliers to change my havalon blades.

REDMTN

FNG
I take the squirt ps4, small enough to fit right inside my Havalon case.

5619c971.jpg

Last edited:
Use the mini Leathermans...they have all you really need for the backcountry and most are a ton lighter. I leave my Leatherman wave back at the truck.

For years now I have been carrying a Gerber multitool and a flashlight in a cordura pouch on my belt. It's the first piece of gear I put on at home when I head for the woods. I still do it because the pliers do come in handy on occassion, I use the file to touch up my broadheads, and the knife blades for general purpose work which keeps my hunting knife for field dressing jobs. A lighter version of the multitool might be a good idea though.

miller1

Lil-Rokslider
whatch the movie 127 hours and then you will take it with you, never know when you will have to cut yourself free. ouch

OP
L

loudog

FNG
Thanks everyone. I did bring my Leatherman Wave with on my first DIY backcountry elk hunt-only used it once to cut off a branch to hang my bow and that was it. I do like REDMTN's idea of a mini tool-seems like the best compromise as I always like to have a pliers handy-

I have a Wave and Charge (Titanium). There is no difference in weight. The scissors can be used to cut nails or what not and the diamond file will make your knife sharp enough to shave hair. I know it is heavy but I won't part with mine. My biggest concern is my heavy knife. It is a tool for splitting should you need dry, core wood or chopping or prying. Keeps me warm at night when I dream about bear hunting. :)