Leaving Blackhorn 209 Loaded

ToolMann

WKR
Quick question. My muzzleloader elk hunt is over. Never fired a shot. Have an antelope hunt starting next Friday the 23rd. I'm thinking it is cool to leave the powder and bullet loaded (primer is removed obviously). Anyone think this is a bad idea? Blackhorn isn't supposed to absorb/attract moisture like some other powders. Appreciate any input.

TM

OP
ToolMann

ToolMann

WKR
Keep it dry and you'll be fine. Have kept 209 in my inline for over a month with no issues and have personally seen it left in for a yr and still fired on the first try.
Cool. Appreciate it. I won't worry about it and hope I can tag an antelope or two.

If it’s just loaded I wouldn’t worry. If it’s loaded on a dirty barrel I’d clean it asap

Youre fine,

2 years ago I ended season w/ one unfilled ML tag. I had a clean barrel and took the primer out. I left the BH209 charge in and locked the gun away. Pulled it out the next season for to go to the range and the charge from the year before fired normal, hit the 100yd target exactly where I left it the last t ime it fired.

** this wasn't an accident, I left it intentionally to see if it would work. I had it locked virtually the entire spring/summer and knew it had a charge in it the whole time. I have a hunting partner that shoots smokeless out of his savage and is having to reload his charge almost within a couple days if he doesn't shoot at an animal. Been telling him to just shoot BH209 (he can shoot either out of his ML) as it seems to be alot more stable and certainly has better longevity than just a day or two.

muddydogs

WKR
Is it worth the risk for what may be that one shot at a nice animal? Personally I want a fresh charge in my rifle. Remove the breach plug and push out the bullet and charge, you will have to clean the powder out of the breach threads.

No need to do anything. I’ve left rifles loaded with BH209 for months. Been doing it for years. Never had any issues!
x2
I've left loaded CVA Accura nitride from January through following October in my basement and it functioned flawlessly and same POI. I just avoid extreme temp. changes that could cause condensation on the steel. When in doubt, dump or shoot and reload. Pretty cheap insurance on the shot at a BOAL.

OP
ToolMann

ToolMann

WKR
x2
I've left loaded CVA Accura nitride from January through following October in my basement and it functioned flawlessly and same POI. I just avoid extreme temp. changes that could cause condensation on the steel. When in doubt, dump or shoot and reload. Pretty cheap insurance on the shot at a BOAL.
Agree on th BOAL. I'll just be trying to put a few DOALs in the freezer on this one. If I make it to the range this weekend I'll probably shoot and clean it. We'll see if that happens.

JjamesIII

WKR
Youre fine,

2 years ago I ended season w/ one unfilled ML tag. I had a clean barrel and took the primer out. I left the BH209 charge in and locked the gun away. Pulled it out the next season for to go to the range and the charge from the year before fired normal, hit the 100yd target exactly where I left it the last t ime it fired.

** this wasn't an accident, I left it intentionally to see if it would work. I had it locked virtually the entire spring/summer and knew it had a charge in it the whole time. I have a hunting partner that shoots smokeless out of his savage and is having to reload his charge almost within a couple days if he doesn't shoot at an animal. Been telling him to just shoot BH209 (he can shoot either out of his ML) as it seems to be alot more stable and certainly has better longevity than just a day or two.
Did you get a “corrosion ring” in the chamber? I had that happen in my mz. It hasn’t effected anything, but when I look down the bore after I clean it bugs me.

Did you get a “corrosion ring” in the chamber? I had that happen in my mz. It hasn’t effected anything, but when I look down the bore after I clean it bugs me.
nothing... I have a buddy that did the same w/ pyrodex or 777 (can't rememberwhich brand specifically but he was using loose and left it all year, the gun did still fire but he had noticeable corrosion, for what it's worth it may be purely cosmetic though as he's still shooting/hunting with it) but I had no sign of wear w/ 209 at least not from my one experience.

It's more airtight loaded in your barrel then sitting in the container... So a non issue as long as it wasn't raining or wet when you were hunting. Ive left it multiple weeks with no problems, unless it rained.

You can leave muzzleloaders charged for quite some time. I don't with blackhorn though because I am sighted in on a dirty barrel, with no cleaning between shots. My first 3 shots tend to not hit where my "4th through whenever I stop" hit. To me, this is where blackhorn shines because I don't have to swab between shots like I did with T7.

You can leave muzzleloaders charged for quite some time. I don't with blackhorn though because I am sighted in on a dirty barrel, with no cleaning between shots. My first 3 shots tend to not hit where my "4th through whenever I stop" hit. To me, this is where blackhorn shines because I don't have to swab between shots like I did with T7.
Agree with this observation. I'd say 3rd shot and on they group where I expect. First couple on a clean barrel not bad, but not at my zero.

OP
ToolMann

ToolMann

WKR
How long do you leave your barrel fouled? Mine is stainless and I've considered going that route too since I'm using BH209.

I think youre good for months or longer with stainless or nitrided barrels. Probably depends somewhat on your humidity though.