Leaving camp setup in WY

ChrisAU

WKR
Leaving Friday for my 4th western hunt. Previous 3 hunts were deep wilderness CO elk hunts and I never felt nervous about leaving camp setup and never had a single issue. If someone wanted to hike in that steep stuff a few hours and a few miles just to mess with other peoples stuff they’d have to be some kind of crazy.

This year though we are doing a Wyoming Antelope hunt. In the spirit of keeping it the camp and backpack hunt mode we are packing in about 3.5 miles (shortest route from a legally parked vehicle) and camping the first night. I’m not sure about leaving camp setup, but I also would like the freedom of leaving 15 lbs or so of weight off my back while hunting. While we’ll be far from legal vehicle traffic on public, we’ll be much closer to private boundaries. There are roads that people with the right permissions could drive pretty close to us.

Would you leave camp set up or pack it each day? We don’t plan to hunt further than 2-3 miles tops from the initial camp site at first, if we go deeper in then we’ll move camp. I suspect that one night would be it and tags will be filled on day one.

Last edited:
OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Yeah no optics or firearms. Just the tent itself, pad, quilt, small things.

I wouldn’t worry to much about leaving your camp setup especially being that far from a public access point. I also agree with the wind statement. I’d probably add a few extra stakes if you can just in case.

Fatcamp

WKR
If it’s anything like my my past antelope hunts, your stuff is more likely to blow away than get stolen. Probably would not leave firearms or high end optics in my tent no matter where I camp however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wind forecast for this weekend is ramping up. 25mph in Wyoming is for real.

aOWENc

FNG
We left our camp set up about 1000 yards from a very busy road. I was really worried about it, but nobody bothered anything. We left camp to drive around multiple times and would come back to people glassing antelope and standing within 30 feet of our camp. Everybody was really nice, but obviously it only takes one thief to ruin a trip. I’d have no problem leaving it setup where you will be.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Will each have our 1P tents with max stake points staked, and hope to find some little holes/ravines to camp in to help block some wind. Hoping there are some good size rocks to put on top of the stakes.

4ester

WKR
I always worry about that too, but would take someone pretty balsy to touch a tent knowing that guys with guns may be watching. I always try and hide my camps as best as you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aOWENc

FNG
Will each have our 1P tents with max stake points staked, and hope to find some little holes/ravines to camp in to help block some wind. Hoping there are some good size rocks to put on top of the stakes.
We had 30 MPH gusts and weren’t really blocked from any wind but that ground in wyoming was so hard we didn’t have any wind issues. I could have used a team of mules to pull my stakes out of the ground when we were packing up.
We did get a ton of dust blown into our tents even with the rain flys on so that was a bummer.

BuzzH

WKR
Probably won't have any problem in unit 25 sounds like where you could be going.

I did have a problem with a landowner illegally posting a road in that unit, a quick call to the Sheriff and that was cleared up right quick.

grfox92

WKR
No one will mess with it. We just had our camp set up right next to a main road on BLM in order to be more mobile and it was fine.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk