Leaving elk overnight.

Titaniumman, I agree with you that August and September are too hot to let an elk lay there all night. You will loose a portion of the meat for sure and the rest will get warm enough to taste like crap.

I'll just say it again to reiterate. I've seen elk spoil in late October when temperatures dropped below freezing after leaving an animal overnight. The reason for leaving it was because it was late, dark, in a steep spot, and the guy that shot the bull backed out because of safety reasons (it being much safer to navigate mountain terrain in the light). He figured the elk would be okay given the outdoor temps. We all did too. That's why we were shocked when we went to quartering him the next day that he smelled rotten already. Knowing that, we would have all changed what we had done (come back to camp, get some food and some energy, then head back out to the bull to get him processed that night). I'd hate to see someone else make the same mistake, particularly if it can be avoided.

dotman

WKR
Man he even used tv terms! Why the hell would he back out just because the cow went into dark timber? I just don't understand.

I don't disagree with anyone who says that leaving it overnight gives it the potential to spoil. Sometimes it will and sometimes it won't. My question is this: You make a shot the last hour of the day and for whatever reason (arrow deflection, animal moves, you pulled the shot) you see what looks like only one lung or liver. You wait 30min to an hour and slowly start on the blood trail. After tracking a fair distance it peters out and you can't find further blood or it is becoming really sparse and the distance travelled is starting to make you wonder.

What do you do then? Do you back out or push forward and risk bumping a not yet dead elk?

The first elk I shot was my first season bow hunting. I shot her with fifteen minutes of daylight left. Admitedly we backed out because it was getting dark fast so we went back to camp. We figured we would get on her at first light in the morning. Well at about 2 am a steady drizzle came through and washed away everything!

I felt terrible because I know that the elk was dead with a double lung, but we searched for 8 hours without finding one speck of blood. She was in a herd and could differeniate tracks.

Now we track down everything as soon as we can and break it down right then and there.

OP
NDHunter

NDHunter

Lil-Rokslider
The situation that dreamingbig mentions is kind of what I was also getting at. That situation is kind of a lose/lose to me. I've tracked marginally hit deer after dark and almost everytime it doesn't end well. Especially when hit in the guts. I have helped friends track deer that were hit in the guts after dark does and we have done nothing but bump them. I can only imagine how far an elk can go that is hit in the guts. I have also tracked deer that were hit in the liver though and while it took quite awhile, we have always found them dead. I guess each situation is unique...

philw

Lil-Rokslider
Last year my partner shot his bull right at dark in Sept. We thought it was a good hit but accidentally snuck up on the still alive bull in the dark. We didn't want to risk bumping the bull and losing him so we backed out and came back and found him at first light. Broke him down and packed him out without losing a lb of meat.

Mike

I had the same happen two years ago with an archery bull. He only went about 75 yards after the shot and laid down. I watched him until it was almost dark, he knew I was there but didn't get up and run, which I took as a good sign. He was trying to hold his head up, but having a hard time of it. Right before dark his head tilted over and he laid it on the ground. I thought he was out so I took one step toward him and he got up and trotted off into some very thick oak brush. So thick that no amount of light would help.

We came back the next morning at first light and found him right off. So did a big black bear, he'd just gotten to the elk when we did; chewed the Colorado-required evidence of sex right off the carcass but that's all he ate. We got right to work and boned out the meat using he gutless method, and didn't lose any. The pack out was a short one and the meat went right on ice. If we hadn't found him right at first light, I'm not sure the maet would've been good.

I also recovered a cow several years ago at first light during September and lost no meat. I'd shot her right before dark the evening before; she ran first one way, disappeared over a knoll and then (I found out later) did a 180 out of my line of sight and went the other way. She ran a total of 200 yards and piled up, with a ,50 caliber bullet hole through both lungs and one clavicle. Anyway, I looked for her for 3 hours, had a good headlamp and all but I was just looking in the wrong place, in the direction I'ds een her run. There was no blood trail, and she'd run through an open meadow with elk tracks everywhere so there was no trail I could follow. Especially since I was looking in the wrong direction. Came back at first light, heard a bunch of jays and magpies causing a ruckus, and found her straight off. I was seriously pissed at myself for wasting the meat, because I assumed it was no good. I couldn't even think straight. But my partner said "lets make sure it's no good before we write it off," so I skinned and filleted out a backstrap and it was fine, as was the rest of it.

So, I wouldn't leave one overnight on purpose (I have my best luck in the evening and have staggered back into camp around midnight a few times) but if it happens, I won't give up on the meat, and I'll try to be there right at first light.

JPD350

WKR
Gila2011003.jpg

This was the only elk I have ever left till the morning.

I shot this cow a half hour before dark and she went down right away so I didn't even think to let another arrow fly, as I was watching her she got back up and walked into a big clearing and laid down next to a lone tree now there was no way to let another arrow fly. I continued to watch her and as it got dark she was still hanging on so I opted to come back in the AM.

I got back right before dawn and she was not where I left her. As soon as it was light enough to see I could tell she had bled a lot in the spot she was laying so I started the search. I walked down the hill a little ways and saw a Mexican grey wolf taking off across the meadow, I looked at where it had came from and sure enough there was my cow. I had a sick feeling in my gut as I walked up to the elk, I sat there for about 5 minutes in deep thought, I ended up tagging her despite not wanting to.

I was only able to claim the hind quarters which I boned out, they seemed to be in perfect shape but by the time I got to cold storage the quarter that was on the ground side had some bone sour right in the hip socket area, I hope I never have to leave an elk overnight again. If anyone is in NM for their hunt I would do everything I could not to leave an elk overnight since sour meat can happen quick with our temps, you also might be dealing with more than bone sour.

And yes it was absolutely disgusting!!! The hind quarters were on the up hill side so none of the crud got on them.