Leaving elk quarters overnight

ganngus

Lil-Rokslider
I've never had a bee do anything to an elk quarter.

Last couple of archery elk quarters I left overnight, when I got back there were like whole colonies of bees on the quarters. I would have never thought it would be the case until I saw it first hand.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Last couple of archery elk quarters I left overnight, when I got back there were like whole colonies of bees on the quarters. I would have never thought it would be the case until I saw it first hand.
Use game bags.

I've heard of many times where guys shot an animal at last light and then didn't go in after it until morning. In almost every one of those cases coyotes or a bear got on the carcass. But from my experience, just having your scent on it will give you at least a day before they're on it. And I've left quarters or bags of meat overnight many times over the years. That doesn't include grizzlies, but I have no experience with grizzlies.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Has anybody lost a carcass to a black bear in the lower 48? I’ve left elk overnight 6-7 times in the last few years and I haven’t had issues. This year I heard a coyote howl within 200-300 yards of the kill as I was hiking out. It worried me a little but the next day there were no issues.

I don’t like to leave meat overnight. But we live in the heart of grizzly country.

But I have thought a lot about this as I hunt a lone a lot and an evening kill is a long night! I think game bags and hanging can’t hurt.

I carry a little flashlight that can be pulled out to make a little lantern. I’ve thought about leaving that turned on overnight, I also have an iPhone dedicated to onX. I’ve thought about leaving it playing music for as long as it stays alive. I don’t know overthinking it...I’ll likely just stay out till 4am and pack out in the dark.

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
It seems to me that it is way more important to hang meat in game bags a hundred yards from the guts than leave a piece of clothing. Leaving meat out overnight without gamebags is inviting birds (and therefore ) and flies (and therefore maggots). Also, when hiking back in the dark, I want all of my clothes in my pack in case I take a fall, get in a bad spot, and need to stay warm. I figure some piss and the scent on the gamebags would leave about as much scent as an extra jacket.

ahlgringo

WKR
Has anybody lost a carcass to a black bear in the lower 48? I’ve left elk overnight 6-7 times in the last few years and I haven’t had issues. This year I heard a coyote howl within 200-300 yards of the kill as I was hiking out. It worried me a little but the next day there were no issues.
Yep,
Lost a deer last year. Bumped 2x before wising up and backing out for the evening. Came back the next am at 0dark-thirty and entire carcass was mauled via black bear- totally ruined with not much salvageable. This was in CO

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Peeing around the kill site and hanging clothes adds just a little piece of mind IMO. But a pine marten could care less and has eaten a lb or so off my moose and deer quarters in the past lol. I don’t think certain grizz give a shit what you do either but knock on wood I haven’t had meat stolen yet...

JPD350

WKR
I had a problem this year in the Gila, the bears got a front and rear quarter, I moved both of those quarters a 1/4 mile away from the kill site, all the meat at the kill site was untouched.

20200916_064359 (1).jpg

Last edited:

sargent

WKR
Has anybody lost a carcass to a black bear in the lower 48? I’ve left elk overnight 6-7 times in the last few years and I haven’t had issues. This year I heard a coyote howl within 200-300 yards of the kill as I was hiking out. It
We lost most of the meat from my hunting partner's bull in Idaho four years ago to a bear.

bb45822

FNG
Lost an elk to a black bear 3 years ago. Shot it at dusk. The bear was still on it when we returned at first light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sanchez

Lil-Rokslider
I pack a wallet sized silver mylar blanket that I hang/drape over the quarters if i leave it overnight. The silver sheet blows and makes noise in the slightest breeze, is totally unnatural and looks big, plus only costs a couple bucks and has other uses.

Lost an elk to a black bear 3 years ago. Shot it at dusk. The bear was still on it when we returned at first light.

Did the bear come up on it in the evening or did you come back to a bear in the morning?

This is why I prefer to kill my self and pack out at night. Coming back in the AM just gives 12 more hours for the bears to find it. Packing in light or dark doesn’t matter to the bears, it’s just psychological for us :)

Ucsdryder

WKR

Did you cut up the elk? I think an elk shot and left (which is a bad idea for meat spoilage anyway) is different than a butchered elk hanging in a tree.

Here is a question I have... How do you keep bees off of quarters?????
I've never had issues with bees, but I use Tag Bags and put quarters in them right when I take them off the animal. Those bags have been great for me and keep any sort of bugs off the meat - so I'd imagine they'd work for bees as well.

Marble

WKR
Last year a guy I know shot a blackmail in archery and gave it 20 minutes then started tracking. About 100 yards in it started maki g weird tracks and he realized something was dragging it. He followed until he found a black bear carrying/dragging it. After trying to chase the bear it charged a couple times and on the last one he sent an arrow through it. It ran off never to be seen again. He got his buck.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

7Bartman

WKR
I usually keep an extra pair of socks in my pack. I'll put the fresh ones on and hang the sweaty ones from the antlers. That, and I take a piss around the kill.

ChrisAU

WKR
I thought we were in for a long day with bees/yellow jackets on opening day of 1st rifle in CO when we had an elk down in an open area as the sun was coming up but we never saw 1. It was weird. In much cooler weather last year they were a nuisance, and these two spots are about 500 yards apart. Plenty of water around too, ground was marshy around us. Horse flies came in droves but no bees/yellow jackets.

ive only killed two elk but both times ive done that to where I lay dead branches across blow downs and lay the meat there. and then I leave what ever clothes I don't need and maybe my glassing seat cushion. so far no animals have messed with it and didn't loose any meat either.