Leaving for SoDak family vacation next week - itinerary suggestions please.

jmez

WKR
It looks pretty good. I'd just do the drive by at Crazy Horse. When my wife takes my boys to the Mammoth site they spend all day there, they love it. No reason to go to Deadwood unless you are going to gamble. Not much for the kids to do there.

I know Jewel cave was mentioned, if you can fit it in it is worthwhile. If you do go there take sweatshirts for everyone, it is cold down in the caves. Your kids will need them.

Devils bathtub trail is neat and an easy hike. Bring extra clothes for everyone, you are going to get wet. I haven't been up there this year but we have had a ton of rain and everything is very full. On a normal year you are going to get wet on this hike and you have to cross back and forth over the creek several times during the hike. I would recommend a Teva type sandle for everyone. If you don't have those then just plan on having wet feet and wet shoes. It will be over the top of hiking boots. The kids are going to want to play in the "bathtub." Everyone will be in it.

Not a lot to see in Sundance. The Vore Buffalo Jump is worth a stop on you way back.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
We just wen there on vacation too, from virginia, I agree skip wall drug, although we went the food prices are outrageous, and its very crowded, but hey I can say we were there I guess.

We loved the badlands, do the notch trail hike, doesn't take that long and its pretty cool

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
@tugrivercopper you're from Highland county area if I remember correctly, right? We're driving to Charlotte to catch a plane instead of flying out of Roanoke. Saving about $1300 that way.

Hhardrockminer

Lil-Rokslider
As you come up from Hill City you'll come to Lead-Deadwood going through Lead stop and see the open cut and the mining museum there as Homestake was the largest mine in the Northern Hemesphere at one time deadwood is not bad with a great museum as well. Have Great trip and enjoy the FREE America in the hills

FacePlant

FNG
Lake Sheridan is only a few miles from hill city and has a nice swimming beach for when the kiddos are sick of being in the car, and not too crowded during the week. The 1880 train between Hill City and Keystone is fun for kids too. Jewel cave is great for hot or rainy days.

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like you got a FULL plate!! Hill city is always fun to get out and go through the little shops and stuff! I have to say in the town of Custer Black shills Burger and Bun company have one of the best burgers I’ve ever had!!!!

Midwest.Bushlore

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not sure about Crazy Horse (if it's worth seeing). How far have they come with work on it? Back when I lived there many moons ago not much had been done yet.

Forgot Storybook Island! Awesome for the kids or kids at heart.;)

Hhardrockminer

Lil-Rokslider
CH has a nice visitor center indian dances and CH has progressed nicely but not for everyone, Mt R is being worked on so you'll be limited to a view from a little longer distance, Lead has Homestake gold mine museum and the open cut(lots of history in the area), Spearfish Canyon nice drive but depends on what you're into Down south wind cave and that area isn't to bad either Have a Greta time
Hhardrock