Leaving Kifaru?

I'm an eastern and Midwest deer and turkey hunter. I run a kifaru hunter frame and cargo panel to haul stands and quartered deer. Not changing any time soon. I have a badlands super day I use if heavy hauling is not required to save weight.
I compare the kifaru to a truck and the badlands to a Prius. Both have their niche but if I'm hauling wood I get the truck. If I'm picking up a pizza I use the Prius. Just my opinion.
yeah.. i'll take the truck to pick up pizza too ;)

Got curious and went ahead a weighed my setup. Looks like it isn't as heavy as what is generally thought
This is 8000+ ci
View attachment 317875
Lite frame medium belt
Argali bag
Guide lid
Large belt pouch
Think I ditched the chamber pockets and cut the lid straps.

6.1 lbs. And I get the comfort, durability and versatility of the kifaru system. That's one thing I really like about kifaru. Adding or subtracting pouches/pockets as I need it.

But really, just use what works for you. Everyone is different.
For some reason, and I don’t understand why, some think that a Kifaru should weigh in at 3 lbs or some bullshit. If you aren’t man enough to carry 6 lbs, then one should by one of the made in china packs.......... 😉

tdot

WKR
I sold my last Kifaru, not because of the empty weight, but due to its' stiffness when empty. I personally found it exhausting still hunting or bashing thru brush with what felt like a sheet of plywood and 20lbs strapped to my back.

I'd advise anyone to try a number of frames before investing in a single manufacturer. I contacted several manufacturers and all of them were cool with my purchasing a frame to demo and then returning what didn't work for me. I settled on the Seek Outside frame. Have a couple different bags and have packed in excess of 120lbs in it, setup as a 27" frame and 5lbs in it setup as a 23" frame. Both worked equally well for my back. I'm still not a huge fan of their bags, but the comfort of their frame overcomes and shortcomings of their bags. My sheep pack setup this year was 4.9lbs, and that included their largest bag, additional accessories and a gunbearer.

HoboAaron

FNG
I agree with the guys on here that have said not to worry about dry weight.
I'm a backpacker. A LONG HAUL backpacker. And ive literally tried every type of pack out there. From ultralight pieces of tear-before-you're-100-miles-in crap... to 16lb dry systems built for foriegn militaries and everythibg in between.

To this day, and fir about 9 years now, ive used Kifaru, and even still have a couple old mountainsmiths from when patrick owned that company.

Kifaru carries weight. They do it comfortably. And they do it (comparatively speaking) in an affordable manor.

prm

WKR
Anyone tried a Kutthroat? Seems like a lot of pack for not much weight. I am curious how well it compresses while hunting, and then how well the day hunting gear could be arranged with meat for an initial packout. As I get older my requirement for really heavy loads keeps going down.

For hunting in the Rockies, I really dislike bulky bags and weight. After trying a few different packs, the Stryker (now XL), is a great mix of small and reasonably light for hunting, yet retains capability to ‘comfortably’ haul my max weight of meat and also haul in/out camp which is more about bulk than weight.

Elkobsessed

Lil-Rokslider
be sure and try the new Kuiu setup, major changes to the suspension with a lot of people saying they are one of the best in class now. At least worth giving it a try?

ethan

WKR
I think a pack is kind of like “good boots”. It all depends on who’s wearing them. I’ve owned kifaru, and mystery ranch and now seek outside. All are great packs but I think the SO is the most comfortable that I’ve used. I’ve carried about 80lbs in each and don’t care about carrying much more if I can help it.

I have owned every pack out there. Stone glacier, EXO, Mystery ranch, eberlestock,,badlands,Sitka mountain hauler, Blacks creek, KUIU. I never used to worry about pack weight just what was in my pack. But the last few years as I turned 65 this April, pack weight is becoming very important to me. I don't intend to quit backpack hunting any time soon. I went with the Kifaru Kutthroat. With a small waist belt it was like 3 pounds 10 ounces, and yes its only rated to 70 pounds, but at my age that's about all I am going to carry. I am primarily an Elk and Deer hunter and bone out everything. With the kuthroat I am able to keep my pack weight very low. I do 4 day hunts then return to the trail head and we move to different areas every 4 days. I can easily come in at 24-26 pounds with every thing I need including a camp chair for four days. Before my Kutthroat i was always pushing 30 pounds so at my age a few less pounds in the pack is huge.
Gobbler, I'm very interested in how you pack. I'm heading back out west for the first time in 23 years (I'm 48 now) and am looking at all new lightweight gear and smart packing to cut down on weight. I'm guessing I'll be packing for 7 days in the mountains. Last time I packed in I think my pack with gun was about 80lbs. I'd love to be able to come in around 50lbs.

JeremiahH

WKR
I switched over to Kifaru packs 8 years ago & sold my Kuiu Icon Pro's. Ive absolutely loved my Reckoning & now Hoodlum however as I age I'm increasingly having issues with the empty pack/frame weight. I'm looking into other options-can't believe it. Any others out there that want to share experiences of switching from Kifaru and to what system. I will say ive yet to find a pack that carries weight as well as my Kifaru's but I'm interested. Thx.
What did you go with ? Any changes ?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

When i was deciding between seek outside and kifaru, the weight difference and ability to make the frame taller for heavier loads was one of the main reasons i choose seek. Cant remember off the top of my head but it was gonna be around 2lbs lighter or more empty. Plus i have seek tents so i knew they make great stuff. Kifaru has more options in general but i was mostly interested in xpac bags, which kifaru only had a few of. Both are awesome companies making stuff in America, i definitely don't think I'd have switched if I'd already had a kifaru that fit me and carried weight well just to save a lb or 2. No regrets, i love my pack and it carries 100lb+ loads a lot better than the kuiu one i was using before. Kuiu didn't work for me personally with anything over 40 or 50lbs and would sway side to side pretty bad no matter how much i tightened straps or loaded it. Would squeak alot too, i had to dissemble to clean and grease too often. Plus not needing a rain cover anymore is amazing, since im in the PNW

Attachments

• 20211004_185631.jpg
    20211004_185631.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 20210930_173217.jpg
    20210930_173217.jpg
    416.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 20210930_173230.jpg
    20210930_173230.jpg
    370.2 KB · Views: 58

Jimss

WKR
I scout for weeks each year with my kifaru hardly loaded. Usually a spotter, tripod, rain gear, lunch, water etc. I guess I must be in shape because I hardly notice a load is on my back. If I put the same stuff in a lighter pack not really designed for extreme weight my neck shoulders and back will be sore after a day or 2 of hiking. The weight savings really isn’t that much. I find that overall I do better with a little heavier pack that is super comfortable carrying on my back for hours upon hours in steep snd deep country.