Leaving Kifaru?

bsnedeker

WKR
I don't get this... guys agonize over different weights in packs so much. But go spec out a comparable frame + pack size option between Kifaru and stone glacier. I've done it. Many times. I use a Reckoning and the old Duplex hunter, fwiw. The most I would be able to cut by switching to one of the big(i.e. comparable) SG packs is 6-8 oz. unless I go to their straight frame. But if I did that I could just swap to arrow stays in my Kifaru and keep the weight gap right where it was to begin with... I've tested the straight stays. They aren't as comfortable as the curved stays, and I don't think buying a SG would magically change my back profile.

Long story short. Buy a pack that fits and carries well for your intended purpose. Don't worry about the empty weight, worry about how it feels on your back.

I also agree with this! Packs, boots, and weapons...these are the three areas I'm not trying to cut weight as a general rule. I'm happy to pay the weight penalty for the durability and capabilities I get in these areas.

I have owned every pack out there. Stone glacier, EXO, Mystery ranch, eberlestock,,badlands,Sitka mountain hauler, Blacks creek, KUIU. I never used to worry about pack weight just what was in my pack. But the last few years as I turned 65 this April, pack weight is becoming very important to me. I don't intend to quit backpack hunting any time soon. I went with the Kifaru Kutthroat. With a small waist belt it was like 3 pounds 10 ounces, and yes its only rated to 70 pounds, but at my age that's about all I am going to carry. I am primarily an Elk and Deer hunter and bone out everything. With the kuthroat I am able to keep my pack weight very low. I do 4 day hunts then return to the trail head and we move to different areas every 4 days. I can easily come in at 24-26 pounds with every thing I need including a camp chair for four days. Before my Kutthroat i was always pushing 30 pounds so at my age a few less pounds in the pack is huge.

I've posted this on other threads:

I did some research on Kifaru vs Stone Glacier from a fabric standpoint and found the following:

- Stone Glacier uses 3 layer 210D Xpac and 500D Cordura lite fabric.
- Kifaru uses a 4 layer 210D Xpac and a 500D Cordura Classic.

Therefore apples to apples Kifaru will always be a few ounces heavier as they are using more heavy duty fabrics.

Marble

WKR
I don't get this... guys agonize over different weights in packs so much. But go spec out a comparable frame + pack size option between Kifaru and stone glacier. I've done it. Many times. I use a Reckoning and the old Duplex hunter, fwiw. The most I would be able to cut by switching to one of the big(i.e. comparable) SG packs is 6-8 oz. unless I go to their straight frame. But if I did that I could just swap to arrow stays in my Kifaru and keep the weight gap right where it was to begin with... I've tested the straight stays. They aren't as comfortable as the curved stays, and I don't think buying a SG would magically change my back profile.

Long story short. Buy a pack that fits and carries well for your intended purpose. Don't worry about the empty weight, worry about how it feels on your back.
100%

I'm not going to get bruises, aches, back injuries and cramp spots carrying around my my pack with few pounds of stuff in it. I'll get those problems by carrying too much weight in a shitty pack.

That's why I have the packs I have. They work for me.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I'm an eastern and Midwest deer and turkey hunter. I run a kifaru hunter frame and cargo panel to haul stands and quartered deer. Not changing any time soon. I have a badlands super day I use if heavy hauling is not required to save weight.
I compare the kifaru to a truck and the badlands to a Prius. Both have their niche but if I'm hauling wood I get the truck. If I'm picking up a pizza I use the Prius. Just my opinion.

Pasayten

FNG
I can’t believe there aren‘t more exo folks out there. I sold my kifaru due to fit and weight, there products are hell for stout and can undoubtedly handle weight. I also have kifaru sawtooth which I love (minus the aluminum pole in hellacious man lightning storms). I l8e there product and don’t want to seem down on kifaru but damned if I could get the pack to fit comfortably. Bought an exo k5 and the 6400 bag. So comfortable for me! Huge bag and handles weight beautifully, but packs down itty bitty for a day pack. Simple design, has spotting scope, pockets and built in waterproof hydration pouch. way lighter than the kifaru as well (or so it seems). Good luck finding the balance that works for you, that’s just my 2 cents about what has worked for me.

md126

WKR
After a lot of research and trying on packs I found the EXO was a nice compromise between Kifaru and SG as far as weight and functionality/organization.

JP100

WKR
Ive gone back to using my Kuiu more and more after a few years of Kifaru.

Exo and SG are great options aswell.

Fit and comfort is a big personal thing.

And the durability of the Kifaru isnt very good, considering the weight and cost

sivart

WKR
I keep saying, Kifaru has the most comfortable, best frame out there, IMO. Belt, suspension, everything about the frame awesome.

I cannot find one bag they make that I like. Way too heavy compared to EXO, SD. I get that they use thicker material, but you don't need that material to be durable. I have friends that beat up their SD,and exos w/ no issues in durability.

DRUSS

WKR
Heavy and long stays I grab my AMR Kifaru but the day type hunts I grab my EXO 2000. I like its pocket layout and size. I didn't need to add more pockets and still can throw quarters on and head out.

406unltd

WKR
I’m not sure switching a pack over a couple pounds empty or loaded will make any difference. I can’t tell the difference between a 55 or a 60 pound load. If you just want to switch to try different suspension comfort then go for it.

To me this conversation should be steered towards your comfort and finding the bag that fits your needs. I have ran MR SG Kifaru and Exo. I have farted around with Kuiu. I usually tried to give each two seasons. I live in Colorado and use my packs not just for hunting. I backpack/hike with them too..and I might have 3-4 different tags through out a season. So I put them through the paces. I also use day bags for bird hunting for grouse and pheasants with my dog...

My first thing is go with what fits your body. For me Exo wins with Kifaru in second and SG and MR sort of tie for 3rd. I like a big lumbar pad. Plan and simple. I packed a cow last year with my MR and the belt is just to thin and no lumbar support. I'd like to see more structure on the SG.

As for fabrics. This part always makes me shake my head. The guys saying Kifaru is better cause of heavy fabrics make me laugh. I have slide down shale cliffs in exo, SG and MR. And they held up just the same. If you are worried about shredding one of these bags. Stop stabbing it with your knife. Buckles are way more likely to break in my experience. Broke the tiny ass buckle on the New MR guide lite in like 3 weeks. The rest use legit buckles.

If you want light weight. Then go light weight. All brands offer a fairly light weight option. If you want a bag where you don't need lots of separate bags and things. Get that. For me the issue I have is running a big heavy bag I use to hike in and out that is it. I'd rather have a streamlined set up... reason being bushwhacking with a bag with a 1000 attachments is loud. And will get hung up.
Floppy lids are the same.

If your looking for light weight then check out exo SG Kuiu and seek. While Kifaru has lightweight options it's still gonna come out on the plus side of things. Look at your application and go from there. If you like the lumbar from Kifaru but want lighter more streamlined then I'd say exo and Kuiu. The 1800 from exo is honestly my fav day bag.

I personally like a bag that compresses. Makes it easier to stalk and be quiet. I also steer away from most Kifaru bags cause I hate external attachments. Probably more of an OCD issue then anything. I just like things inside. Not on the side. Plus. Hiking behind buddies with Kifaru set ups like that listening to them catch in everything and swashing around. That's why I like the 44 mag..non of that. But there are so many options. So try to play the field. I'm so happy with my new K3 set up. Been backpacking with the 4800 and day scouting with the 1800 all summer. So comfortable for me. I alo don't catch on much in the timber with it because of how the pack is shaped...

Good luck.

Got curious and went ahead a weighed my setup. Looks like it isn't as heavy as what is generally thought
This is 8000+ ci
20210817_184011.jpg
Lite frame medium belt
Argali bag
Guide lid
Large belt pouch
Think I ditched the chamber pockets and cut the lid straps.

6.1 lbs. And I get the comfort, durability and versatility of the kifaru system. That's one thing I really like about kifaru. Adding or subtracting pouches/pockets as I need it.

But really, just use what works for you. Everyone is different.

eoperator

WKR
I left kifaru for exo, lighter and better bag/shelf layout. That was 2yrs ago today exo is gone and kifaru is back, can't deny the rugged heavy hauling comfort my .02

I tend to think once you are at a certain level - Kifaru, MR, SG, and a few others - the differences in performance are limited and it comes down to personal preference for fit and mild variations of function.

I was a long time MR fan but I drank the Kifaru Koolaid and bought a couple of packs and a couple of frames. They were fine but the fit never thrilled me. In fairness, I probably should have bent my stays to my back shape but before I got around to that, I got a crazy deal on a Metcalf, liked how it fit and carried, Yatta, Yatta…flash forward a few years and I sold my kirfarus and now have a couple of MR packs. To each their own.

if I were looking to cut base pack weight, I would give a hard look at seek outside or stone glacier. I would also consider when and where I need capability to haul meat. I do a lot of backpacking with an ultralight pack that is just a shade over 2# empty. I have handled 9-day 40# loads in it with relative ease. With 20# of gear for a night or two, it carried like a dream. Now, I would wreck it with a +50# load of meat and gear but for just hauling my essentials for a couple of days or more, it is great.

Last edited:

randym

FNG
I've always appreciated fit and how my Kifaru frame handles the weight. For me less about how much weight as mine did well with varied amounts. Other brands were less comfortable no matter what weight. Hope that helps a little

I switched over to Kifaru packs 8 years ago & sold my Kuiu Icon Pro's. Ive absolutely loved my Reckoning & now Hoodlum however as I age I'm increasingly having issues with the empty pack/frame weight. I'm looking into other options-can't believe it. Any others out there that want to share experiences of switching from Kifaru and to what system. I will say ive yet to find a pack that carries weight as well as my Kifaru's but I'm interested. Thx.
What about the Kifaru packs not on a frame?
Like the 357, or the lesser padded 14 ?