Lee Pro 1000 says only use CCI/Rem primers, can you use others?

mcimes

Lil-Rokslider
Wise reloaders,
On a Lee Pro 1000 turret press the manual says "Only use CCI or Remington brand primers due to risk of explosion"

Obviously we do not have our pick of the litter right now with primers and reloading supplies in general. I can get some primers from a friend but they're not CCI/Rem.
How critical is it to use CCI/Rem brand primers with this press and why? I am admittedly a reloading n00b but isnt a primer a primer (as long as its the right style for the case)?

I guess im asking, is this a lawyer mandated "cover our ass" statement that accounts for the 1: 1,000,000 chance that a rogue primer detonates during pressing or is using another brand unreasonably increase the risk and should actually be avoided at all costs

Please educate me on anything important about primers in this context.

rayporter

WKR
for several years there have been primers that were not recommended in various primer tools.
i have have heard of two primer detonations in the lee hand tool with the tray. in both instances the whole tray detonated. my smith was present both times. i believe it is not recommended to use federal primers in them but federal primers are used a lot in them.

so there really is something to it.

If it was me, I would use what I could find that fits the case I'm loading. With that however, I have been reloading for 20+ years and now prefer to prime off press using a rcbs bench primer.

OP
M

mcimes

Lil-Rokslider
If it was me, I would use what I could find that fits the case I'm loading. With that however, I have been reloading for 20+ years and now prefer to prime off press using a rcbs bench primer.
@5 shot group that's great feedback and also a good idea. Looks like i can find a mix of cci and others, so maybe off line priming would be the way to go for the non cci.

To anyone, for my own understanding, is there a significant different in primer brands real-world performance?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
for several years there have been primers that were not recommended in various primer tools.
i have have heard of two primer detonations in the lee hand tool with the tray. in both instances the whole tray detonated. my smith was present both times. i believe it is not recommended to use federal primers in them but federal primers are used a lot in them.

so there really is something to it.
I've often wondered about that as I use the Lee Hand Prime tool and have used it on probably 500 Federal primers. I guess everything has its risks.

OP
M

mcimes

Lil-Rokslider
I was talking to my friend that's hooking me up and he said the CCI's are known as 'hard' primers - that they require a harder hammer strike to detonate. He said Wolf is also known as a harder primer.

I forget the brands he listed off that were 'soft' but he said all his target shooting friends use the soft primers so they can use very soft hammer springs for increased accuracy or whatever.

I assume the sensitivity of explosive is why they only recommend some brands? thus, if one were to use a more shock sensitive brand of primer, its still probably ok but extra caution should be used as not to slam the primer in? the case?

Has anyone run across a list (even if just based on anecdotal evidence) that would classify more sensitive or less sensitive primer brands?

He said one of his friends who really slams the press has had a couple primers detonate on him but it sounded like it made a mess more than threw dangerous shrapnel.
To those who have had a detonation, other than scaring the S out of you, was it a dangerous explosion? (I guess all explosions are 'dangerous' but lets look at the shades of gray, like was it large enough that you could lose a finger, eye, or set off a secondary explosion of the powder drum or propel a piece of shrapnel fast enough that it would break skin or become embedded in you?)

rayporter

WKR
i have worn out 4 lee hand primer tools using federal 205s. i now use a 21st century tool.

anybody present when the lee tools went up in smoke is a believer, and i hear about it from to time. i dont know what or how it happened but i have noticed at least twice a day i see a primer crossways or upside down. on occasion i have crushed one that was crooked and another primer was right behind that one. i can see the possibilities.

rayporter

WKR
there is another chart showing brisance but it will take a while to find it.
cci is one that definitely has a hard cup. brisance i dont know about. i know if you are blanking primers with Winchester or federals you have a fair chance to not blank them with cci 450.