Left Hand .280 AI Mountain Rifle?

Anyone have a list or suggestion for a solid/accurate left hand rifle/s chambered in .280 AI that weighs not much over 6 lbs? I may just buy a 3rd Tikka and have it re-chambered or re-barreled but something ready to shoot is more appealing. Probably wouldn’t do this until next spring for the following fall. I’d be starting from scratch with this chambering so there’s no way I’d have time to get it ready for this fall. Especially with the current difficulty finding components.

Might be that the Savage 110 UL is the only option. Any experience with that? The only Savage rifles I’ve owned have been rimfire.

Last edited:

Breddoch

Lil-Rokslider
That savage ultralite is hard to beat at that price point. I have the 280 AI in right hand and it is a shooter. The plastic stock is the only gripe that I’ve heard but I don’t mind it, adjustable and I like the grip of the rubber inserts.

mthayr

WKR
Friends don't let friends buy cheap glass - get an NXS and an inexpensive used rifle, upgrade later. Sub-MOA is only good if your glass is reliable.

Bomberodevil

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got the Savage UL in 280 AI, and I’m doing load development right now. I’ve got 6-7 loads of 162 grain Hornady SST with H4831 and IMR 7828 that are below 0.6 MOA with 3-round groups of 100 yds, 3 of those loads below 0.45. I haven’t started my second phase of development to narrow down loads, and I’ve got a couple good loads already. It seems to be very accurate. I just got some 160 grain Nosler AccuBond, so I’ll develop a load of SST for thin-skinned game, and one with the AccuBonds for a little heavier game.

The AccuTrigger was shipped set below 1 lb, which caused it to be real finicky. Being my first Savage, I wasn’t familiar to the AccuTrigger. I adjusted it to 2.25 lbs and it’s fine now. Not TriggerTech fine, but decent.

The stock was almost more purple than grey, so I sanded the rough spots and spray painted it tan with webbing, and it looks a lot better. It’s not a really refined rifle, but it’s a pretty accurate working rifle.

ChevyKevy

Lil-Rokslider
I would do your homework on Fierce and the like (Christensen Arms) pre-built rifles. Not saying they are horrible by any means - but for the price point you can build a totally custom rifle to your liking for that kind of money. Just my opinion!

Anyone have a list or suggestion for a solid/accurate left hand rifle/s chambered in .280 AI that weighs not much over 6 lbs? I may just buy a 3rd Tikka and have it re-chambered or re-barreled but something ready to shoot is more appealing. Probably wouldn’t do this until next spring for the following fall. I’d be starting from scratch with this chambering so there’s no way I’d have time to get it ready for this fall. Especially with the current difficulty finding components.

Might be that the Savage 110 UL is the only option. Any experience with that? The only Savage rifles I’ve owned have been rimfire.
My son is LH and is saving up his money for the 110 UL in 280 AI.

Unckebob

WKR
Get your brass now. Ammo is not impossible to find, but it is expensive (Like everything else).

BAKPAKR

WKR
Get your brass now. Ammo is not impossible to find, but it is expensive (Like everything else).
I have 200 pieces of Peterson 280AI brass waiting for a left hand stainless steel Remington 700 KS clone I am putting together. The Backcountry 2.0 would likely be three-quarters of a pound to a pound lighter.

Unckebob

WKR
I have 200 pieces of Peterson 280AI brass waiting for a left hand stainless steel Remington 700 KS clone I am putting together. The Backcountry 2.0 would likely be three-quarters of a pound to a pound lighter.

I have 50 pieces of Nosler brass plus 100 cases of 280 Remington ($30 per box cheaper) Plus one box of factory Nosler BT

I have my stock, barrel, and bottom metal. Just waiting for my action from Zermatt.

Last edited: