Left Hand .280 AI Mountain Rifle?

BAKPAKR

WKR
I have 100 pieces of Nosler brass less 1 box of Accubond. I have my stock, barrel, and bottom metal. Just waiting for my action from Zermatt.
The last thing I am waiting on is a KS contour barrel from Benchmark. Based on the last update from Benchmark, it is supposed to be here this month. Of course, if I see a LH Backcountry 2.0 in 280AI on Gunbroker before I box everything up to send to the smith, that project might be put on hold. 😀

Unckebob

WKR
The last thing I am waiting on is a KS contour barrel from Benchmark. Based on the last update from Benchmark, it is supposed to be here this month. Of course, if I see a LH Backcountry 2.0 in 280AI on Gunbroker before I box everything up to send to the smith, that project might be put on hold. 😀

I don't know if you saw my edited post. By buying "280 Remington" brass, I saved about $30 per box of 50 pieces. I planned on some lighter loads for deer hunting so I'll form them into AI brass that way.

Aroostook

FNG
I know I’m hijacking an old thread, but I am slowly in the process of a ks clone as well. I have a lefty ks stock, with a barreled action that does not fit yet. I would like to hear about your journey through the process, any hurdles and unforeseen costs, barrel bedding with pressure point…? etc. Let me know any pointers, thanks a bunch

BAKPAKR

WKR
I know I’m hijacking an old thread, but I am slowly in the process of a ks clone as well. I have a lefty ks stock, with a barreled action that does not fit yet. I would like to hear about your journey through the process, any hurdles and unforeseen costs, barrel bedding with pressure point…? etc. Let me know any pointers, thanks a bunch
This is a photo the gunsmith sent me last week. It went into Unknown Munitions Monday for cerakoting of metal and stock. It is 6 pounds 5 ounces as it sits. With a 3-9 Trijicon and Talleys, it should be a hair under 7.5 pounds. He took out the pressure points. Karl Feldcamp had previously fluted the bolt and added a mini M16 extractor.

What contour is on your barreled action?

BTW - it turns out that the stock I got was actually inlet for the KS magnum contour which is very close to the Remington Standard Sporter contour, so I am going to have some free float.

F266BC57-122A-437E-A07F-57C1AF339F08.jpegI

gerry35

WKR
This is a photo the gunsmith sent me last week. It went into Unknown Munitions Monday for cerakoting of metal and stock. It is 6 pounds 5 ounces as it sits. With a 3-9 Trijicon and Talleys, it should be a hair under 7.5 pounds. He took out the pressure points. Karl Feldcamp had previously fluted the bolt and added a mini M16 extractor.

BTW - it turns out that the stock I got was actually inlet for the KS magnum contour which is very close to the Remington Standard Sporter contour, so I am going to have some free float.

View attachment 538223I
Really like that set up a lot, a 280 AI is a really great round. Bonus points for the bolt on the proper side too!

Last edited:

Aroostook

FNG

View attachment 538223I
BAKPAKR, thanks for the reply!

That rifle is going to be great, hopefully you share pictures with us on the final product.

The stock I have is a non-magnum ks McMillan. The barreled action that will be going in to said stock is a Remington 700 bdl 30-06 (looking forward to the ADL conversion.) The barrel does not taper quickly enough to fit into stock, which is a bummer. I’m now thinking of putting a new ks profile tube on it, though, I’d like to hear any input on different manufacturers I should prioritize. Also, why did you and your smith come to the conclusion of grinding off the pressure points?

BAKPAKR

WKR
Benchmark says what I got is a KS contour. I think it tapers a hair more. I have heard that Lilja makes a KS contour.

I have a factory KS in 300 RUM. When shooting off a bipod, point of impact changed from shooting off a rest. A gunsmith I checked with thought it was the pressure pad doing something when I loaded the bipod. The gunsmith I used agreed the pressure points should go.

I will let you know how it does.

Last edited: