Left hand but Right eye dominant advice

Brando

FNG
How much effect does shooting a rifle cross dominant have effect on POI? Left hand rifle right eye dominant or right hand rifle left eye dominant?

My wife can’t get her new LH Tikka T3x superlight .308 to group well at 100 and I think it might be that she’s shooting left handed but right eye dominant. She doesn’t seem affected by the recoil. However she is stubborn and wouldn’t necessarily tell if the recoil is bothering her.

She’s shot 150 grn up to 180. Federal Premium down to Winchester deer season XP, rifle doesn’t seem to want to group under 3“ with any ammo.

Her confidence is down and I’m trying to eliminate all variables before we either send the Tikka into the mother ship or try a right handed rifle. Im right handed but only have a .338 wm and .300 wm which she is a little scared of. I don’t know if having her shoot the 300 wm right handed would reveal whether she’d be better off shooting a right handed rifle or not.

WKR

WKR
Try having someone else shoot her rifle to verify its her and not a bad barrel or scope issue. Then have her shoot right handed and see if that tightens up the groups.
I'm ambidextrous and don't really have a dominant eye. Started off shooting lefty when I was a kid but switched to right because of price and availability. I just trained myself to be right eye dominant. I shoot everything with both eyes open.

WKR

WKR
Also if you think recoil is an issue, load up a dummy round without her knowing and see if is flinching.

I’m left handed and right eye dominant and it’s never been an issue. I either just close my right eye or even just squint a little bit and it lines out. I e shoot pistols by going across my face to the other eye. Works fine.

Hoghead

WKR
I'm left handed and right eye dominant. I shoot left handed and don't have problem. Could be the gun or her. Verify the gun and if it's good have her keep practicing.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Let her shoot a 22 and give it a look. My middle boy is cross dominant. I put tape one his shooting glasses until he got good.

My advice would generally be to shoot with your dominate eye. I will go so far as to say that switching the side you shoot from is easy. People tend to think it will be hard to switch, but it’s not. I’m right handed Left eye dominant. I taught myself to shoot left handed a year ago, and now shooting right handed feels just plain goofy.

She can shoot that Tikka left or right handed. Sure, cycling a round in a hunting situation might not be ideal. But have her shoot it at the range with the opposite orientation and see how she groups there.

I’m left handed and right eye dominant.

I’ve always shot right handed including rifles and bows.

Otherwise I can’t do anything w/ my right hand.

I would see if she can shoot with the dominant eye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bearman

FNG
My wife is right handed but left eye dominant. At the range we put duct tape over the left side of the safety glasses, when we go hunting she has a pirates black eye patch on her forehead, when ready to take the shot, patch goes over left eye.
We have been doing this for almost 15 years, it works for her.

hodgeman

WKR
You shoot to eye dominance, not handedness.

I'm left handed, but right eye dominant...I shoot righty. My son is the exact opposite.

It's a big issue with rifles, but there's no other way to shoot a shotgun. If you shoot a shotgun with your non-dominant eye, you might as well turn it into a tomato stake.

OP
B

Brando

FNG
Thanks for the suggestions all. Next time we head to the range I’m going to have her try shooting right handed to see if that makes a difference. I hope it’s that simple.