Left Hand Rifle Brands and Accessories

zloomis

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a lefty shooter who has always used righty bolt guns. I am looking into left handed rifles but for the most part I am seeing:

Economy style rifles - Ruger American, Savage Axis etc.

Higher end rifles but in oddball cartridges - Weatherby Mark V etc.

I am looking for one in a boring cartridge (30-06 ideally, .308 or .270 alternatively) and I want a nicer rifle than an economy style. I don't love the feel of the Tikka Stocks but if someone was making left hand aftermarket stocks I would probably go that route. Bell & Carlson and HS seem to only to right hand and I don't want to drop more money than that on a stock.

My current rifle is a 30-06 Remington 700 and I have not been overly impressed with the accuracy which makes me hesitant to go that route again but I like that aftermarket availability of them.

If Weatherby made the LH Mark V in 30-06 or if Kimber, Barrett, winchester made their rifles in LH my search would be over.

Anyway does anyone know of models I have missed or does anyone know of where I can get an improved LH Tikka stock? Thanks for the feedback!

gbflyer

WKR
Custom action built to your liking or McMillan stock for Tikka if you don’t like factory.

I’m a lefty too and get where you’re coming from. Unfortunately we don’t make up much of the shooting public so we don’t get near the options

hodgeman

WKR
Christensen Mesa is now available LH as is the Montana X3....both available in quite a few "standard" chamberings and around the $1100-1300 price point. Browning makes some nice LH versions.

Tikka may have a funky feeling stock...but man do they do shoot.

davsco

WKR
yeah lefty here and we're definitely under-served. my browning a-bolt shoots decently, generally under MOA, relatively similar to the tikka, plastic stock and all though a little heavier. my latest hunting rifle, i just went righty with an ambidextrous stock, tired of the lefty tax and the big wait. only once have i taken a 2nd shot on deer so it's really not that big of a deal.

within 200 yards and i guess a little more (wasn't super accurate) a great option for lefty's is the browning lever rifle. trigger travels with the cocker so no pinched fingers. was my first deer rifle way back when, in .308.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Christensen Mesa is now available LH as is the Montana X3....both available in quite a few "standard" chamberings and around the $1100-1300 price point. Browning makes some nice LH versions.

Tikka may have a funky feeling stock...but man do they do shoot.[/QUOTE

That is a fact.

Randy

OP
Z

zloomis

Lil-Rokslider
It was a mistake posting this! The Montana rifle is well out of my price range but that looks like an awesome rifle. Might hang onto my righty gun for another year and pick up an X2 or X3

Beendare

WKR
I doubt this helps you much....but

Lefty here. I really wanted to go with a Tikka [about 4 years ago] but didn't like the stock. When I was looking there were not a lot of options for aftermarket stocks for that.

After talking to the Savage rep at a show....I went cheap....I did a .223 Savage LH bolt. The stock is as cheap as it gets and not the ideal configuration for me. FWIW, I like the trigger- wasn't sure if I would- and the gun shoots....better than I can shoot it actually. Its perfect for a light beater varmint rifle.....and the LH action is SO MUCH nicer than shooting Lefty with a RH bolt.

howl

WKR
There's little you can't get made correctly. You just can't get it off the shelf locally. I can't think of a rifle type you can't get LH in 30/06. Just handle backwards ones until you find what you like and get the correct one off the web.

- - - Updated - - -

ableammo shows ten different LH Winchester 30/06 available

You can get a stock inlet for a LH tikka... but it'll take 6 months unless you hunt through the classifieds. If the X3 is out of budget I think your best bet is a Browning Xbolt or get the Tikka, deal with the stock and the wait time to order a new one.

WKR
I'd buy a Hawk Hill #3 contour barrel and have your current rig rebarreled and the stock bedded.

Wrongside

WKR
Don't quote me on it, but I believe Wildcat Composites makes a stock that can be fitted to LH Tikkas. Fantastic stocks for the money, but would require some elbow grease or paying a smith.

So many awesome factory rifles available these days, so few of them available LH. ☹️ Of what's available over the counter to us southpaws, I'd go Tikka. They just work and shoot so easy.

OP
Z

zloomis

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. Right now I'm leaning towards hanging onto my righty rig until I can cough up Montana money. Other than that I may consider going the Tikka route.