Left hander looking for rifle suggestions.

gearjunkie

Lil-Rokslider
I am currently running a Ruger American Compact in 7mm-08 and for a while thought the gun was great. I soon realized after practicing cycling the bolt with the gun shouldered it was not going to work for me. Once the firing pin is discharged cycling the bolt becomes very sticky and requires too much effort. With that being said I am on the hunt for a replacement rifle. I was considering building one but I was looking at 3k plus for what I wanted to do.

I recently discovered that Sportmans Warehouse offers the Tikka Superlight in LH in like 3 calibers. 7mm rem mag, 300 win mag, and 6.5 creedmoor. The claimed weight of 5.9 lbs. I would like to go back to my 7mm-08 but I suppose creedmoor will do the trick. 90 percent of my hunting is Northeast whitetail and black bear.

I have done quite a bit of research and before I "pull the trigger" am I missing any contenders? 6lb and under somewhere near the price range of the TIkka in LH?

On a side note since the action length in the Tikka is the same for the 6.5 and rem mag should I consider the 7mm? Can I replicate the kick and ballistics of the 6.5 for the hunting I want to do and then step it up for elk or other big game if I ever took a trip? I am going to be putting the SWFA ulstralight scope on whatever I buy and likely will be very svelte. I don't want to deal with the full snort of the 7mm rem mag in such a light rifle unless I really need to.

Thanks!

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
This question comes up a lot and everyone has their own opinions obviously.
But it always comes full circle back to the tikka. Man, you just cannot go wrong with one and each one of those calibers works great. As you know, lefties are discriminated against and you can always go custom if you wish but no need to with the tikka. As long as you aren't shooting elk at super long range, that creedmoor with a swfa and good bullets will serve you well.
My current tikka go to is a tikka t3 lite with a rebarrel of a 6.5 x 284. It rocks.
Lefty of course.

Randy

slvrslngr

WKR

There’s this one too. Deal of the day for a southpaw. No flies on the 270...

Tikka will be your cheapest choice for sure. I run tikka, weatherby, browning and christensen leftys. I have a nice christensen 708LH but the price point is definately higher.

OP
G

gearjunkie

Lil-Rokslider
If that 270 was stainless I would likely buy it. As far as the camo 308 I can buy that same gun in 6.5 creedmoor for 799 from Sportsmans warehouse and paint it any way I want. Sounds like Tikka is the way to go. Thanks guys!

hodgeman

WKR
You should also check the used market for a Tikka. A couple of years ago, I picked up my son a LH Tikka in .270WIN mounted with a Leupold VX-2 3-9x40 for $500 at a local shop.

It might have had a box fired down the bore. Lefty guns tend to sell for less on the secondhand market.

I will say you’re making a good choice by going with a 6.5. My buddy had a Tikka in 300 wsm and it was one of the worst kicking rifles I ever shot.

Before you give up on the Ruger, you might try the Anarchy outdoors cocking piece they make. I hear they lighten the bolt lift and improve the feel quite a bit. A little TW25B grease on the new cocking piece and might be a pretty slick action after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
G

gearjunkie

Lil-Rokslider
I will say you’re making a good choice by going with a 6.5. My buddy had a Tikka in 300 wsm and it was one of the worst kicking rifles I ever shot.

Before you give up on the Ruger, you might try the Anarchy outdoors cocking piece they make. I hear they lighten the bolt lift and improve the feel quite a bit. A little TW25B grease on the new cocking piece and might be a pretty slick action after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will look into that piece thank you.

howl

WKR
Don't buy a LH 7mm mag unless you are certain you want to own it for life. Nothing harder to resell at a decent price than a LH 7mm mag, unless it's a customized LH 7mm mag.

I would not get a Magnum if I were you. I’m sure the 6.5 would be fine for all you need. The 308 would be more versatile. You can probably find a 7mm-08 tikka on gunbroker if you look. If you want a bit more power a 270 or 30-06 is the most I would go. If you want the magnum rout you would need to consider a new stock and a break....

I know LH is tough, I have two kids who shoot left hand. One has the tikka ss lite 308, I’m building a rem 700 LH for my daughter, will cost a bit more but will be custom.

Last edited:
Having grown up in the NE and moved Out West (and never gone back) I do giggle at some of the posts. The quest for an Uber lightweight rifle is far over rated in my opinion. One you have a sub 7 pound All Up rifle they take a lot of extra effort to shoot well.

How far are you really toting a rifle per day on the East Coast ?

The 308 for an eastern rifle would be perfect for your requirements. Lot of good time proven bullets that do bigger work than the Creed. 165 Partitions come to mind.

Can’t run the bolt on a Ruger????

Maybe a Remington 760 Gamemaster in 270 Win with See Thru mounts...for your “up close Brush gun shots”?

OP
G

gearjunkie

Lil-Rokslider
Having grown up in the NE and moved Out West (and never gone back) I do giggle at some of the posts. The quest for an Uber lightweight rifle is far over rated in my opinion. One you have a sub 7 pound All Up rifle they take a lot of extra effort to shoot well.

How far are you really toting a rifle per day on the East Coast ?

The 308 for an eastern rifle would be perfect for your requirements. Lot of good time proven bullets that do bigger work than the Creed. 165 Partitions come to mind.

Can’t run the bolt on a Ruger????

Maybe a Remington 760 Gamemaster in 270 Win with See Thru mounts...for your “up close Brush gun shots”?
I am not a sitting hunter. I move between 5 and 10 miles a day depending on how loud the woods is.
I don’t subscribe to the “brush gun” non sense nor am I taking a shot through brush. I like to take game that is unaware of my presence and a clear shot. The important things to me are fair chase and a swift merciful harvest.
My Ruger nearly has to be unshouldered to work the bolt when the firing pin needs to be re cocked. Once again the ability to swiftly, safely, and accurately follow up it upmost to me and the Ruger does not provide that.
I agree with the consensus on the non magnum gun and I appreciate being talked out of that. Especially with the SWFA and a light rifle that is asking for stitches around my eye due to limited eye relief.
I agree that a lighter rifle is a challenge to shoot well. My fathers old pump in 35 rem shoulders and points like nothing I’ve ever held. Unfortunately that beautiful design was changed to the 7600 which I find clunky and unattractive.
The simplicity of a bolt gun is what I am after I was considering a Henry long ranger, or a BLR but the feeding and ejecting issues I see quickly changed that.