Left helical = left offset... right?

Graduating to fletching my own arrows. Picked up a Bitzenburger with left helical clamp after testing bare shaft (my arrow turns CCW). With a left helical, I want to use a left offset, right? Which means the top of the jib should be to the left, the bottom of the jig to the right? Any guidance is appreciated!

7-Pointers

Lil-Rokslider
In reality, all vanes applied at any angle other than perfectly parallel to the shaft will twist around the arrow when properly applied and would therefor benefit from a Helical jig that pre-twists the vane to match the changing surface plane of the arrow at the front of the vane versus the back. The problem with the Bitz helical jig is that you have to figure out how much "offset" to use so that the helical jig makes good contact with the shaft all the way from the front of the vane to the back of the vane. That is dependent on your arrow shaft diameter, and there's only ONE specific "offset" setting that allows the helical jig to work properly. Any other offset and you won't get good contact between fletch and shaft all along the fletch. And even when you get the correct offset figured out for your specific shaft, you won't have any idea what the actual degree of angle is unless you take some accurate measurements and do the trigonometry.

Personally I got super frustrated at not being able to explore DIFFERENT helical angles with my bitzenberger so I made a set of 3D printed adapters that allow me to use my straight Bitz clamp to apply vanes at any helical or offset angle I want. See this thread for more info or just PM me if you're interested.

-Tim

Last edited:

Clarktar

WKR
In reality, all vanes applied at any angle other than perfectly parallel to the shaft will twist around the arrow when properly applied and would therefor benefit from a Helical jig that pre-twists the vane to match the changing surface plane of the arrow at the front of the vane versus the back. The problem with the Bitz helical jig is that you have to figure out how much "offset" to use so that the helical jig makes good contact with the shaft all the way from the front of the vane to the back of the vane. That is dependent on your arrow shaft diameter, and there's only ONE specific "offset" setting that allows the helical jig to work properly. Any other offset and you won't get good contact between fletch and shaft all along the fletch. Any even when you get the correct offset figured out for your specific shaft, you won't have any idea what the actual degree of angle is unless you take some accurate measurements and do the trigonometry.

Personally I got super frustrated at not being able to explore DIFFERENT helical angles with my bitzenberger so I made a set of 3D printed adapters that allow me to use my straight Bitz clamp to apply vanes at any helical or offset angle I want. See this thread for more info or just PM me if you're interested.

-Tim
I got so frustrated with messing with the Bitz trying to get full vane contact with a helical clamp that I just sold it and have been using a AZ mini fletch. So far, I really like that thing!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

3rty 4our

FNG
I’m actually in the middle of this now with my new V3. My old Hoyt rotated right so all my arrows are right helical. With this new bow my bare shaft is turning left. I’m waiting for new GAS strings and hoping they will kick it back to the right. If not I’ll have to buy a new clamp, strip and re-fletch up my arrows. I feel like this is something a lot of people may over look but it seems to me that the physics on the arrow play a big part. My tech has a hypothesis that it’s the way a D loop is tied. I dunno. Good info on this thread.

WesCAtoll

Lil-Rokslider
I’m actually in the middle of this now with my new V3. My old Hoyt rotated right so all my arrows are right helical. With this new bow my bare shaft is turning left. I’m waiting for new GAS strings and hoping they will kick it back to the right. If not I’ll have to buy a new clamp, strip and re-fletch up my arrows. I feel like this is something a lot of people may over look but it seems to me that the physics on the arrow play a big part. My tech has a hypothesis that it’s the way a D loop is tied. I dunno. Good info on
It's the way the strings are twisted/strung . My bows turn left bare shaft. I've got the max amount of helical to the right I can do on my bitz (had planned on IW single bevels) but have also done some lefts. They group in the same spot as the rights. (Also using a v3 and rx4 for the testing)
Inside out Precision has a good video on this on YouTube as well. He also noticed zero difference
Edit to fixing quotes

3rty 4our

FNG
It's the way the strings are twisted/strung . My bows turn left bare shaft. I've got the max amount of helical to the right I can do on my bitz (had planned on IW single bevels) but have also done some lefts. They group in the same spot as the rights. (Also using a v3 and rx4 for the testing)
Inside out Precision has a good video on this on YouTube as well. He also noticed zero difference
Edit to fixing quotes
Yeah I’ve heard this about the string twist as well but my old ABB strings twist the same direction as these Factory Zebras. I’ll have to pull up that video. Thanks

Duerrr

FNG
In reality, all vanes applied at any angle other than perfectly parallel to the shaft will twist around the arrow when properly applied and would therefor benefit from a Helical jig that pre-twists the vane to match the changing surface plane of the arrow at the front of the vane versus the back. The problem with the Bitz helical jig is that you have to figure out how much "offset" to use so that the helical jig makes good contact with the shaft all the way from the front of the vane to the back of the vane. That is dependent on your arrow shaft diameter, and there's only ONE specific "offset" setting that allows the helical jig to work properly. Any other offset and you won't get good contact between fletch and shaft all along the fletch. And even when you get the correct offset figured out for your specific shaft, you won't have any idea what the actual degree of angle is unless you take some accurate measurements and do the trigonometry.

-Tim
Hi Tim/ 7- pointers:

I am new to Rokslide( and new to archery in general.) I can't send PMs or post in the thread where you discussed your adapters.

I am interested in buying a lot of adapters from you.

Please PM me or have some way to contact me so I can buy your adapters.

Question:

I want to build some 4mm and 5mm OD arrows. I am looking at 20 to 40 yard shots for hogs but eventually want to graduate to elk...someday. I am leaning toward 4 vanes. What vane length do you recommend?

I am thinking on tinkering with 1.5 to 2.5 degree helicals. I wont know right or left helical until I get the particular model arrow and index them.

Anyway Im a bit OCD and DIY so archery/bowhunting is a perfect hobby (and a money sink).

Please let me know.

NY12020

FNG
Graduating to fletching my own arrows. Picked up a Bitzenburger with left helical clamp after testing bare shaft (my arrow turns CCW). With a left helical, I want to use a left offset, right? Which means the top of the jib should be to the left, the bottom of the jig to the right? Any guidance is appreciated!
I think your question is how to adjust the setting on the Bitz; NOT if you should match the helical to the spin of your bare shafts correct? If so; you don't need to offset the settings on the top and bottom of the jig; the helical is already built into the shape of the clamp you are using (left helical). Those adjustable knobs are for adding an offset when you are using a straight clamp on the Bitz. Typically an "offset" is 1-3 degrees and a "helical" is more than that (3+). I have found that an offset with a straight clamp works pretty good on larger diameter shafts; but when you go skinny its hard to get vane contact for the full length of the vane. That is where the helical clamp shines. All this being said; you may need to adjust those knobs slightly even for a helical clamp to get the best vane contact for differing arrow diameters; even though you don't need them (nor are they intended) to do an offset. You can also slide the vane closer or farther from the nock in the clamp to get better contact. After i find a setting that works good; i mark with pencil on the jig to "save" my settings.