Leftover tags due to corona virus

isu22andy

WKR
Was looking into a OTC archery hunt for my first elk hunt, but wondering what we can expect for left over tags or returned tags due to corona. What all states do a leftover returned tag buy ? Whats the process first come first serve? Are many of these good units or are they usually left over for a reason ? Can we expect a higher than normal leftover tag rate ? ?

Matt mi

Lil-Rokslider
I was wondering if they shut states down into september and i cant hunt the state as a nonresident will i get a tag for next year at same price or if they will do an automatic refund and have to purchase a tag next year at new price

TX_Diver

WKR
I doubt it will have a large impact. That's solely based on my opinion (and the rumor that NM had 10k more apps than last year) though.

sneaky

"DADDY"
NM apps were turned in for the most part before the virus locked the economy down. The draws that are just now opening up are going to be the ones that you see a shift in application numbers for. I'd venture to guess that there are probably people in the NM draw hoping they don't draw since the economy tanked.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

loopmtz

Lil-Rokslider
NM apps were turned in for the most part before the virus locked the economy down. The draws that are just now opening up are going to be the ones that you see a shift in application numbers for. I'd venture to guess that there are probably people in the NM draw hoping they don't draw since the economy tanked.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I agree, going to be a lot of people that drew for NM not able to go!

I wouldn't be surprised to see a higher percentage of tags being turned back in. I think there will be a lot of people that just don't have the expendable income not just for the tag but for a week or two away from work and the travel expenses. Just my opinion. Nobody knows what the coming weeks hold, let alone the coming months.

Thomas11

WKR
U can withdraw your app in NM as long as it’s befire the draw happens. I done it twice

I think you’ll see more resident hunting and less non resident hunting. How that impacts tags depends on the state. Nevada for example has a separate pool for residents and non residents. So if less non residents apply then thats great for the non residents that do apply but has no impact on residents.

I also wonder if people working at home / temporarily unemployed who have to use all their sick or vacation time they wont have any time to go. Does that mean they dont apply or does that mean they only hunt the weekends.

Lots of possibilities out there.

Maybe we’ll get the max amount of unemployment plus the additional $600 per week into elk season and it’ll be like a paid vacation. Think positive!

11boo

WKR
It could very well be a bonus for those who survive the Wubonic plague. I’ll be watching the leftover stuff carefully.

I’m sure most of us will survive, but the financial drain will certainly torpedo many plans.

There almost certainly has to be some sort of increase in leftover tags. I think people will still put in for them just the same but there will be a considerable increase in leftover tags due to various reasons. Money, virus fears, family and job issues.