Leftover tags in western WY ???

J-Daddy

WKR
Buddy of mine is a rancher in western WY...He told me the other day that pretty much every year in his area they have leftover elk tags that a non-resident can buy with not points..Think he said they ran like $577 or so.
Anyone have any experience with these? I'm collecting mule deer points for out there but I'd like to go out there elk hunting this year if it works out where I can. Any info on these?

Topgun 30-06

Banned
For that price he would be talking about an either sex tag, not a reduced price cow tag. Find out what unit his ranch is in and look in the draw odds for elk in that unit on the Wyoming G&F website to see if there were tags leftover last year. That would give you an idea of whether you could get one this year if they don't sell out.

wapitibob

WKR
If they're leftover, you just as well pick one up as a 2nd choice in the draw. That way you forgo the left over sale frenzy.

crumy

WKR
Sometimes there are leftover tags in wyoming but these are most of the time type 9 (archery only) tags or areas that have very little public access or non-wilderness. In Wyoming, you a non-res can only go into wilderness if they have a guide or a buddy who lives in Wyoming. A friend of mine from Ohio comes out every year and archery hunts. He buys a leftover type 9 and I register as a resident guide for him. Looks like sreekers is also from wyoming so he probably has better info on the western part of the state as I have only been here for 4 years and am in south-east wyoming.

OP
J-Daddy

J-Daddy

WKR
He says in his area they have leftovers every year...I'm not sure the unit number, haven't asked...It's in Area H I'm pretty sure. He used to guide out there for an Outfitter and I would be hunting with him and his son.

wapitibob

WKR
J, pm me your email and I'll send you the full price left over list from last year. Mostly type 4/5 (antlerless) and type 9 archery. I normally print out the list after 15 minutes of sale opening also but didn't do that this year for Elk so I can't say how fast your unit may get sold out.

Last edited:

dcestnik

Lil-Rokslider
H is mostly general tag from what I remember and at least one type-9 in a general area. I know there were reduced price cow/calf tags in G so I assume there'd be some in H too.

OP
J-Daddy

J-Daddy

WKR
Honestly I'm really hoping for a Bull tag...Don't know if I will drive all the way out there for a cow tag but I might.

dcestnik

Lil-Rokslider
The type 9 i know of can be had in the leftover but not a second choice. General tag can be had in the special draw with no points as a second choice or in regular draw with a point

wapitibob

WKR
J, you could get 2 Cow tags and 4 or 5 Antelope tags, learn the lay 'o the land, come back the next year with a bull tag, cow tag and a pocket full of Antelope tags.

OP
J-Daddy

J-Daddy

WKR
J, you could get 2 Cow tags and 4 or 5 Antelope tags, learn the lay 'o the land, come back the next year with a bull tag, cow tag and a pocket full of Antelope tags.

I'm buying Mule Deer points for that area too...Started that this past summer. I'll see how it plays out I guess.