Lefty rifle recommendations

davsco

WKR
Lefty here, I bought a Savage....and wish I would have bought the Tikka
i got a lefty tikka t3x lite in 300wsm, had the barrel threaded and braked (really wish they came threaded) and replaced the stock with a mesa precision Altitude stock (15% off now for a couple of days). really like it. it's a pussycat with that area 419 hellfire brake. pic is with the old micro bastard brake, that actually blew off (either turned down too much to match barrel profile or the hole wasn't drilled wide enough...). shoots WAY better than i could get my cooper backcountry to shoot, ditto for the remington "custom shop", and at a fraction of both their prices.

Attachments

• tikka mesa brake L.jpg
    tikka mesa brake L.jpg
    483 KB · Views: 51

NDGuy

WKR
i got a lefty tikka t3x lite in 300wsm, had the barrel threaded and braked (really wish they came threaded) and replaced the stock with a mesa precision Altitude stock (15% off now for a couple of days). really like it. it's a pussycat with that area 419 hellfire brake. pic is with the old micro bastard brake, that actually blew off (either turned down too much to match barrel profile or the hole wasn't drilled wide enough...). shoots WAY better than i could get my cooper backcountry to shoot, ditto for the remington "custom shop", and at a fraction of both their prices.
I think if Tikka comes out with that Roughtech in Left Hand I will be buying one. $999.99 for a rifle with a fluted bolt/barrel, brake, & oversized bolt.

davsco

WKR
I think if Tikka comes out with that Roughtech in Left Hand I will be buying one. $999.99 for a rifle with a fluted bolt/barrel, brake, & oversized bolt.
yes i'd be pretty tempted with their ctr in a lefty hunting caliber.

NDGuy

WKR
Consider the weatherbys as well. I am a lefty and shoot mainly weatherby and brownings. I have a christensen as well which is a fine rig.
For me it's down to the Tikka and Christensen. My next rifle will be the Tikka Rough Tech (if it comes LH) or the Mesa. I would consider a Bergara if they came out with something less than $1200 besides the HMR.

If I was on a budget I would get a Savage.

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
Lefty here, I bought a Savage....and wish I would have bought the Tikka

Which Savage did you get, and what makes you wish you got the Tikka? I'm going between Savage Storm and T3x, but like the adjustable stock on the Savage since I'm a shorter guy. And I'm looking for a budget rifle I don't have to dump extra $$ on for a new stock.

Spoonbill

WKR
Which Savage did you get, and what makes you wish you got the Tikka? I'm going between Savage Storm and T3x, but like the adjustable stock on the Savage since I'm a shorter guy. And I'm looking for a budget rifle I don't have to dump extra $$ on for a new stock.
I always felt my t3 stock length of pull was short. If you get a chance, go handle both of them and see which you like better stock wise.
I had your same dilemna a few years ago and picked up a Tikka. My main reason was Tikka’s are better built and less likely to get a lemon. Savage’s QC is a lot better than it was years ago and have great customer service, so either one will work.

Being a left myself, I always gravitated around Savage rifles. Dollar for dollar I don't think anything comes close out of the box. Remington pattern actions give you ton of aftermarket gizmos but if you find a stock rifle in the form that you want go savage all day.

Broomd

WKR
Yeah, if only I liked them I would be in business!
Same here, couldn't warm up to the plastic parts on the Tikka, it's a shame they are good shooters.

Find a LH 5lb Forbes and be done with it. My .308 shoots like a NULA and weighs as much.
I had both a NULA and Forbes LH in .308 and sold the much more expensive NULA and haven't regretted that.

billoo349

Lil-Rokslider
That's exactly the two I was looking at. When comparing the two side by side at the shop the forend on the Savage was to wide compared to the Tikka in my opinion. The feel of stock was better on the Tikka also. The plastic has a nice dullness to it, not like Tupperware.

The last thing Ill note is the Savage stock was cracked at the bolt handle recess. The guy there tried to tell me they have to put the guns away every night and it was likely thrown, dropped, or smashed to cause it. Either way it left a bad taste in my mouth on the quality of the Savage.

I went with the t3x lite LH in 7mm rem mag.

Edit: I will say even though the lop is .25 longer on the Tikka then my rem 700 for whatever reason it feels slightly shorter. That sounds advantageous to you.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk