Leg gaiters for colorado????

mlgc20

WKR
When did wearing gaiters become "cool"?
This is what I was wondering. Wearing gaiters looks silly. I mean, I still wear them for practical reasons. But, I think people who think they look "cool" are either trying to talk themselves into them or think maybe that's why others wear them. My teenage daughter (who is an avid hunter) makes endless fun of me in my Kuiu Yukon gaiters. And she's right.

ChrisAU

WKR
You don’t routinely encounter water crossings that are deeper than your boots are tall when out hunting?

I am going to speak from a position of ignorance, what do they really do to keep water out of your boot when crossing a stream? They can reduce the amount that comes in in a given time period, sure. But it definitely comes in. Maybe I'm not using them right? I don't see how any gaiter can seal to a boot to be effective for deep water crossing.

Poser

WKR
I am going to speak from a position of ignorance, what do they really do to keep water out of your boot when crossing a stream? They can reduce the amount that comes in in a given time period, sure. But it definitely comes in. Maybe I'm not using them right? I don't see how any gaiter can seal to a boot to be effective for deep water crossing.

If you are quick enough, they will delay water dumping into your boots enough for you to cross a stream. I crossed a fast running creek that was almost knee deep twice this past weekend for example and was able to get across without any water in my boots. The deeper the water, the faster you have to be, but if you have them cinched around your boot and right below the knee, you’ll create just enough of an air pocket to keep water from immediately dumping into your boot. It almost doesn’t make sense for them to work as well as they actually do work in these scenarios.

I use them after rains. The tall grass can be extremely wet after a good rain. They are nice to have but not necessary.

This is why I carry them. That tall grass holds so much residual moisture after a light rain. That moisture travels down your pants and into your shoes really quickly.

Maverick1

WKR
You can certainly hunt without them, and I have for many years in a variety of states. Of course, there are several wet days they probably could have help slow/prevented moisture from running down my pant legs and into my boots. (Waterproof boots aren't "waterproof" if the water wicks from your socks into your boots. Learned that many times! My wet boots take about 3-4 days to dry out.) Of course, there are also days when wearing them wouldn't have made any bit of difference due to the amount of wet grass I walked through or rain that came down - those days are for full rain gear.

rkramer

FNG
I asked myself the same question last year before going into the frank church. Brought them along for the hell of it and they ended up being one of my most important pieces.