Leg holster

pirogue

WKR
When needing a weapon on your person at all times and carrying a pack you take on and off several times per day you only have two options. Chest or thigh holster.
Wrong. Some packs have belts, that are outside of the padded portion of the Mai pack belt, that allow holsters. You take your pack off, the holster and sidearm come with it. No extra step involved.

Wrong. Some packs have belts, that are outside of the padded portion of the Mai pack belt, that allow holsters. You take your pack off, the holster and sidearm come with it. No extra step involved.

What? Then the holster stays on the pack and is not on you at all times until you remove it from the pack requiring an extra step. That's what he was saying...

Blasey

FNG
What? Then the holster stays on the pack and is not on you at all times until you remove it from the pack requiring an extra step. That's what he was saying...
That's exactly what I was talking about. I take my pack off several times per day, and my bino harness. I never want to leave my sidearm.

MattB

WKR
Imagine being out of doors with only one weapon instead of two. Scary stuff indeed.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
When needing a weapon on your person at all times and carrying a pack you take on and off several times per day you only have two options. Chest or thigh holster.
Or on your hip. My G20 stays on my hip all day, only comes off when I go to bed when hunting. My pack belt goes around my waist.

EdP

WKR
Interesting discussion with some very good points. I will point out that not everyone has the same issues. Being of short stature, my pack waist belt lays over my pants belt. That IS my waist. It also means a chest carry takes up more of my chest.

sneaky

"DADDY"
And there goes your pistol as well. If you want the weapon on you at all times a pack belt holster isn't the answer.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

MattB

WKR
The point is that when hunting and carrying a side arm you will have 2 weapons with you so, if you were to drop your pack with your pistol on it, you would still have one weapon in your possession. If a person feels threatened to be in the woods for a short period of time with only one weapon, perhaps they should consider a different, less worry-filled hobby.

The point is that when hunting and carrying a side arm you will have 2 weapons with you so, if you were to drop your pack with your pistol on it, you would still have one weapon in your possession. If a person feels threatened to be in the woods for a short period of time with only one weapon, perhaps they should consider a different, less worry-filled hobby.

A bow is hardly a weapon of defense in grizz country.

Not everyone rifle hunts only...

Shraggs

WKR
I carry in a shoulder rig and my bino harness sits lower. That said I’m making a leg rig from leather just to try it. Leather is quite er, but it may be an option when cold and thicker layers

Worth a try. It I’m sure it won’t hunt that well but we’ll see this year.

Randle

WKR
i use an alien gear holster with the Molle attachment. The molle tabs have a retainer that slides horizontal along the belt. Take it off the molle and put it on my pant belt. I dont use their quick release becuase i think it makes the holster too bulky overall.

Elk97

WKR
Find a holster that rides low enough on your belt that your pack belt doesn't get in the way. I've had a couple of different ones that have worked fine with several different packs. I carry a 44 mag revolver, works great. If in grizz country you WILL need it at the worst possible time (pack off while taking a break, changing layers and bino case off, breaking an animal down, etc)

Blasey

FNG
I have tended to plenty of Bear, within 20 yards of the stand - both Grizz and Black bear. I hunt them alone but won't even think about going back to bone one out and skin it alone - too many Bear - usually between 12 and 4:00am (still light out). Every single time that I have gone back I go with a buddy running shotgun in the morning and we get charged-every single time. No F'n way I would ever leave my side arm... I'm not about to pack under my belt either, it's not accessible enough.