Leg holster

7mmshadow

FNG
I want to carry my pistol was wandering want the best way to carry during archery with a pack.
I am thinking leg holster but maybe a Bino attachment. I don’t want to attach it to my pack.

def90

WKR
I have a HillPeopleGear chest pack that has a handgun pocket built in. If I didn't have that I would put a regular waistband holster on my pack belt, last thing I would want is something bouncing around or attached to my leg.

Last edited:

MattB

WKR
Bino holster attached holster or attach it to your pack belt even though you said you don't want to. Leg holsters will rub you raw while hiking and are just a dumb idea for a backpack hunter.

And the word is "wondering". Wandering is just walking around aimlessly.

*zap*

WKR
nothing wrong with a leg rig for a handgun if you wear it correctly. Not like in the movies.......only the bottom strap used and that is around the leg at the bottom of your crotch. Comfortable and probably way above chest or pack mounted for being e-z to keep wearing after taking pack off. Condor and/or Blackhawk makes a very affordable leg holster that is adjustable for various handguns.....bottom leg strap only just below your crotch and go hike happily...

I wear a Safariland 6004-25 thigh rig while on duty. This is not Blackhawk! junk. It is semi-rigid and rides higher. I’m able to sprint with it without having the gun flop around. Advantages include easier access, muzzle control through the draw stroke, and you can go prone with it. Disadvantages include having to become aware of your increased width, you lose the pockets on that pant leg, and increased exposure to the ground when you’re sitting.

I have played with various options of 2 strap and one strap thigh rigs in the military. We found them to be uncomfortable and somewhat hazardous on long marches. After a 10 miler, One guy had a rash on his thigh that looked like a hanging scar and I almost started a brushfire in my taint.

to each there own but I wouldn’t do a thigh rig for a long walk.

I run a glock 20 on my belt when I feel the need. I currently use a safariland holster on a gadget called a UBL. It is a rigid piece of plastic ($20) that drops the gun down below your pack belt and doesn’t need a leg strap.

jpmulk

WKR
All personal preference. Id argue a chest holster is a faster draw. Im not a fan of leg holsters. They catch on everything and are at the height that they get drug through the brush and get filthy.

tstith

Lil-Rokslider
I wear a G40 MOS or G41 on custom kydex rig that rides low enough on my hip that it does not interfere with my pack's waist straps or my draw. Its sufficient, I always find drop leg holsters ride too low and some rattle. If you want it on your hip, a low ride holster is the way to go- Safariland makes a handful that are good. If you're open to a chest rig, thats also a good route. A combo binocular+holster rig is even better.

Colterw

FNG
I'd recommend attaching a holster to your bino harness. I've hiked a little with a safariland drop leg holster and it chafed like crazy. Never doing that again.

For archery hunting where my pack never leaves my back, I carry in a blackhawk retention holster attached to my pack hip belt. It's handy and was plenty fast enough when I had to get my gun out for a curious black bear.

Edit:spelling

Last edited:

pirogue

WKR
My Kifaru pack allows a holster to be carried on the belt(outside the padded part) with no interference with the pack. I carry my range finder on the other side. I don’t want anything else on chest/bino pack.

Here are some pics of what I use. I saw someone mentioned a UBL. I never like them because they tend to dig into stuff when you sit. This rig flexes and follows your leg angle. That may not be a concern for you depending on how you hunt.

8301FAE3-008F-4752-8791-34423EC13CB7.jpeg
9DF5B3A5-C880-4CBB-9DB1-E733CEB6546B.jpeg

What gun are you using? I made a custom fit mold out of kydex for my XDM 10mm for bear protection. It clipped to my pants belt and then had a strap i ran around my right leg above the knee. I found it pretty comfortable to wear and super practical for defense. My right hand would be right by the grips when i was walking. It felt way quicker than what a chest or even pack holster.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

schmalzy

WKR
I use an ivory holster with malice clips and mount the clips as high as they can go on holster. Then I put on my pants belt. Doesn’t interfere with pack at all and is extremely comfortable. It’s not the absolute fastest draw but it’s still pretty quick. I did not like the weight of a g29 on my bino holster and honestly didn’t want anymore real estate on my torso taken up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattB

WKR
My Kifaru pack allows a holster to be carried on the belt(outside the padded part) with no interference with the pack. I carry my range finder on the other side. I don’t want anything else on chest/bino pack.
That is what I have for my pistol for when I hunt around big bears (don't carry elsewhere). Got it here (https://www.jmcustomkydex.com) with the MOLLE (?) attachments.

Blasey

FNG
No. Leg holsters SUCK. Lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
:) I've tried all styles of holsters, with my favorite being the Kenai chest holster. It keeps my pistol high right behind my bino harness. One word of warning, this happened to me! I was traveling up a very shallow stream in my big jetboat (way too big for that place!) and kept getting rocks in my jet. I eventually ended up using a trapping grapple tied to my anchor rope so I could just "pitch it" into the trees so I could stop and not hit everything on the way down. Well long story short I went to throw the hook with my right hand while holding the rope coils in the left - pitched the hook, let go of the rope and BAM!! Pistol overboard!!! The coils actually wrapped around the pistol handle in midair and jerked it out! I saw where it landed, luckily the water was clear so I pushed it to the bank with a beaver stick, disassembled and cleaned it. Just something to watch out for!

Blasey

FNG
When needing a weapon on your person at all times and carrying a pack you take on and off several times per day you only have two options. Chest or thigh holster. If you can get over the constant pull, even on a drop leg thigh holster (to accommodate pack) you still run into issues in the deep brush with it hanging up on things and getting wet from the dew. You won't have that problem with a chest holster.