Leg workouts as the season gets closer

PhillyB

WKR
As the season grows closer, I switch over to working out legs 3 days a week and upper body two days a week with my running happening in the evenings before bed.

I am curious what others leg workouts look like this time of year... I would love some insight or recommendations on ways to build the sticks up for the fall. My workouts have served me well in the past, but always looking for that extra advantage over the other guy on the hill.

I would also be curious to see what people are doing. I hiked in 3.5 miles and 2800' elevation Friday with 37 lb pack and it was a major reality check on how my hiking muscles are in need of work!

Since I live out of town and don't have any gym equipment here. I'm planning on getting in a good hike every weekend with some home exercises during the week.

Last edited:
B

bearguide

real hiking with weight is better for me than running the treadmill, or using it on incline

dcestnik

Lil-Rokslider
real hiking with weight is better for me than running the treadmill, or using it on incline

There's no replacement and regardless of conditioning the first day with a pack on is a shock every year. Living in the flat lands makes it hard to get the miles needed with a pack so gym time gets more important. Crossfit is my preference for leg strength but any use of distance running, cycling, stair machine, etc works for a lot of people in better shape than me. Staying active is most important.

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
Im actually on the treadmill right now walking nowhere with 60lbs in my pack going from 0 incline to 12 on a 10 min rotation. Lots of squats cleans burpees iron chairs lunges go to the local trails at least once a week walk the 5 miles with my pack or jog them

a3dhunter

WKR
I would also be curious to see what people are doing. I hiked in 3.5 miles and 2800' elevation Friday with 37 lb pack and it was a major reality check on how my hiking muscles are in need of work!

Since I live out of town and don't have any gym equipment here. I'm planning on getting in a good hike every weekend with some home exercises during the week.

Same thing for me, I planned this weekend, drove the 6 hours to get where I wanted to be, and took off at daylight Saturday morning, took 4.5 hours going up, 3 hours coming down this morning. My hike was 3.6 miles and about 2500 feet.
My legs seemed pretty good compared to 6 weeks ago, been doing a lot of mountain bike riding and physical therapy on my right knee, but the lungs were hurting coming from 3500 feet elevation up to 11,000 feet.

Forgot to add, since I was staying the night I packed everything I normally would plus some, with the exception of food. Pack weight was about 45 lbs. I found I need to lose some more around the middle....;)

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I will hit the gym on the treadmill with pack and incline 3-4 days a week, but nothing replicates the mountains like actually being in the mountains:)

I gave up on the treadmill with pack weight last year after doing it 3 times a week with 50 lb pack and walking as steep an incline as possible with a 2x4 under the front to gain more elevation. After 3 weeks of doing that I went on a hike with the gf and my legs felt as if I'd just woken up from a winter hibernation... weak and wobbly! Right then I stopped doing the treadmill thing and started doing more hiking with weight and it works great for me. I'm of lean build anyways at 6' and 165 lbs so carrying extra weight has never been a problem. Just trying to find ways at home to target my hiking muscles best as possible. I'm lucky to live where I do and will use training hikes as a way to get out and do some more exploring the high country here in Eastern WA like I've been wanting to do for a few years!

Mike

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Like many others, Summer backpack trips are pretty much our prep method, though we both do abbreviated gym/outdoor (walking/day hiking, swimming, cycling, etc) workouts during the two weeks a month we are working. The off season backpack trips often allow us a little extra weight (since when we aren't hunting we don't have animals to pack back), so we've been known to bring fun extras like campstools, heavier food, fishing gear or night cap beverages. Nothing gets you ready for hiking in the mountains like hiking in the mountains :)

When I can't hike with a pack, I'm running, mountain biking and doing various lifts including cleans, snatch, deadlift, squats and lunges.

I hike with a weighted pack daily at work during lunch and once summer starts tend to backpack in the mountains. I don't belong to a gym or have a whole lot of weights so my leg workouts are the P90X type or Plyometrics, explosive, fast-acting movements at home. That is the leg routine for me along with occasional bike trips more so for recreation though.

Bighorse

WKR
conditioning vs injury

I'm a technologist in MRI and CT by day. As always I'm sure there are a few doctors lurking among us. Afterall they are the folks earning a good living.

I always like to caution against injury to those going out and trying to earn fitness. Torn ligaments, tendons, strained backs, ruptured disks, ect....can really derail your progress. Listen to your body and find a balance between a good effort and good recovery.

Build yourself up preseason. Identify a specific weakness and strengthen. Hiking and running are not the only aerobic conditioning tools.

I personally like to promote two often overlooked elements of mountain hunting, Flexability and Balance.
When your in a steep unpredictable environment and lugging a load you need your back and hips to have a full range of motion. Without that unnecessary strain gets placed in other locations.
In that same mountainous environment you also need to to employ a keen sense of balance to maintain speed and safety.

Mix up your training. Your mind, finely tuned and ready for an all day endurance event is your best tool. Get you body tuned too. Just like an engine. Plugs, filters, Oil, timing belts, fluids.......there are many elements to a good running engine thats endures the test of time.

Hunt hard and smart!

G Posik

WKR
I really do not change my leg workouts as I get closer to the season. I do all of my work outs in cycles. I tend to do heavy sets for 4-6 weeks the high reps for 4-6 weeks. I live in the flat land and only climbing I can do here is bleachers at the schools. I tend to load the pack up with the same weight or more than my hunting pack will weigh. I run 5 days a week with one day being wind sprints. One day is a very easy run/walk more of a recovery run/walk. the other 3 days are all about mileage. I am now about 10 weeks post knee scope and at 100%. I do 1 day dedicated to legs at the gym. I wish I was in an area where I could go hike the mountains a couple times a week, but for now it is what I call the metal mountain.

Glenn

Do all forms of squats. Leg extensions and leg curls do not help in functional strength. I suggest learning how to overhead squat and snatch. It will help in balance and muscle stamina. hiking with a pack on is the best prep.

velvetfvr

WKR

jmez

WKR
I hike with a weighted pack on weekends, and do a lot of mountain biking.

At the gym on leg days I do squats, straight legged dead lifts, lunge walk carrying dumb bells and box step ups holding dumb bells.

The lunge walking and step ups are great for both strength and endurance. I cycle between circuits and heavy lifting. When going heavy I'll do three sets of each holding 90lbs, 100lbs and 120lbs. When circuiting I generally do five sets holding 60,70,70,80,80. I do ten reps with each leg for a set.

37# tool backpack, pushups, 14 flights of stairs, curls n skull crushers up top and repeat 4 times. Three times a week plus running, dips, pullups, clean n jerk, and 8-count body builders.