Legal bull in Colorado?

Hard to tell from that pic. The reality for me at least is that in a close up archery scenario, I’d likely not be able to get the binos up to check so he’s probably walking.

Can’t tell you how many deer I’ve missed an opportunity to take in Missouri because I couldn’t verify the 4th point until it was too late to get a shot off.

Laramie

WKR
Hard to tell from that pic. The reality for me at least is that in a close up archery scenario, I’d likely not be able to get the binos up to check so he’s probably walking.

Can’t tell you how many deer I’ve missed an opportunity to take in Missouri because I couldn’t verify the 4th point until it was too late to get a shot off.
Off topic but it baffles me why any state puts in a restriction like this. It encourages people to take animals with better genetics and to allows poor genetics to survive. Any whitetail with decent genetics will have at least 4 points on a side at 1.5 years old. Any bull with decent genetics will have 4 points and or a 5" brow tine at 2.5 years old- some at 1.5 years old. It's a terrible management philosophy for everything but mule deer imo.

Gapmaster

WKR
Off topic but it baffles me why any state puts in a restriction like this. It encourages people to take animals with better genetics and to allows poor genetics to survive. Any whitetail with decent genetics will have at least 4 points on a side at 1.5 years old. Any bull with decent genetics will have 4 points and or a 5" brow tine at 2.5 years old- some at 1.5 years old. It's a terrible management philosophy for everything but mule deer imo.
totally agree with you. I've bowhunted a few state's that had spread restrictions on whitetails. I mean, am I supposed to measure the spread before I shoot him? Very rarely would you see a mature bull with less than 4 unless he's busted up something terrible. And if he is all busted up, why take him. If you want meat, shoot a cow.

I agree with that as well. That three point is the same age as a perfectly legal four point.

Carlin59

WKR
Regarding the OP, it does appear the off side brow is a bit longer and a solid five inches. But it would take the perfect scenario (animal relaxed and unrushed, good light, several view angles, no brush obscuring the head) to feel confident enough to pull the trigger. Those perfect scenarios only happen on critters I don’t have a tag for, so unlikely I’d shoot. Attaching some pics of a three point that demonstrates the downside of the five inch rule. Pretty obvious someone shot it after seeing the brow (albeit, no where close to 5”), realized their error, and walked away. He was in the wide open and dropped in his tracks, no way someone would have not seen him. Found him Sunday of 1st rifle and informed the warden. Such a waste.

Attachments

• C550A162-61E1-4A73-A114-5E075425BA57.jpeg
    C550A162-61E1-4A73-A114-5E075425BA57.jpeg
    454 KB · Views: 108
  • 335DC655-2B8A-4453-948C-4A3709C90E4B.jpeg
    335DC655-2B8A-4453-948C-4A3709C90E4B.jpeg
    464.3 KB · Views: 108

willy

FNG
Any whitetail with decent genetics will have at least 4 points on a side at 1.5 years old.
not to derail thread but this is a misguided statement. Not only in general but specifically considering late born fawns. Nutritional needs go towards body before antler. The antler gets the leftovers so to speak. I would bet this would apply to elk as well. I've not studied elk like I have whitetail deer though. In general, poor nutrition impacts antler development regardless of genetics and age.

Laramie

WKR
not to derail thread but this is a misguided statement. Not only in general but specifically considering late born fawns. Nutritional needs go towards body before antler. The antler gets the leftovers so to speak. I would bet this would apply to elk as well. I've not studied elk like I have whitetail deer though. In general, poor nutrition impacts antler development regardless of genetics and age.
Wildlife and Fisheries Biology Major here. I'm not grabbing at straws when I make the statement. It doesn't work and is a terrible management philosophy. Yes, some late fawns will develop into good bucks later in life but the vast majority of 1.5 year old bucks with less than 4 points will not end up with really large racks. In some areas of the country, Texas in particular, their bucks tend to be 3x3 instead of 4x4 or larger at 1.5 years old. In the Midwest, most 1.5 year old bucks will have 4x4 or larger racks at 1.5. Nutrition can have an impact but in general, most areas with stable whitetail populations, don't have a nutrition problem.

Laramie

WKR
Long read but studies have proven that the vast majority of 2.5 year old elk will have 4 points. A restriction is only saving spikes and bulls with poor genetic potential.

Laramie

WKR
In my opinion, and the opinions of many biologists, the only restrictions proven to work (improve overall antler size and average male age) are spike restrictions in bull elk and 3 point minimum on mule deer. In both cases, 1.5 year old animals are protected and get the opportunity to reach 2.5 years of age before being legal to harvest.

Elktaco

Lil-Rokslider
Well one thing I know for sure is CNElk would be flinging arrows at that thing!!!

You can use the ears as a rough estimate. On average, an elk's ears are around 7 to 8 inches long. Based off of that, it is still close!

willy

FNG
Laramie, wasn't disagreeing with antler point restrictions, I 100% agree the point restriction is bad and one can't shoot their way into overall great genetics unless their fenced in. I Know what I see on my farms and it isn't much of a majority if at all, that 1.5's have 4 pts. I would bet 20% are spikes. However by year 2 they have reached 4 and more. This is in very good habitat and deer density areas.

Thank you for the reading material.

Bowhuntone

Lil-Rokslider
my rule is if I have to question if its legal then I'll pass. On the other hand in that picture you have a quartering away shot on the no doubt legal bull. Best of luck on having a no question bull in front of you this season