Legal Idaho Muzzleloading Rifle

Puzzles

FNG
First let me say I'm new to the forum and looking for a bit of advice on a good legal muzzleloader. Idaho has certain requirements for the rifle to be legal for their restricted ML season. If you're wondering what the requirements are I've listed a summary at the bottom. The two most restrictive items regarding the rifle are in red. Anyway, it looks like it's going to be a mail order purchase unseen and untouched as none of the retailers around deal with black powder rifles. I've narrow it down to a few models that meet the legal requirements. All are 50 caliber inline's, my preference. Which leads to the question does anyone have any experience or thoughts on the models listed? Or any other legal Idaho inline ML that may be their favorite?

CVA Optima™ V2 - Northwest Muzzleloader Rifle

Traditions Northwest Vortek StrikerFire Backcountry

Northwest CVA™ Accura MR-X

Thanks in advance for any help.

Legal ID ML Rifle Requirement Summary:

Is capable of being loaded ONLY from the muzzle.
Is equipped with a single or double-barrel.
Is loaded ONLY with loose black powder OR other loose synthetic black powder.
Is loaded with a patched round ball OR a conical, unjacketed projectile comprised wholly of lead or lead alloy. No sabots.
Is loaded with a projectile that is within .010 of an inch of the bore diameter.
Is equipped ONLY with a flint OR a percussion cap OR a musket cap. 209 primers are prohibited.
Is equipped with an ignition system in which any portion of the cap is clearly exposed and visible when the hammer of the weapon is cocked and ready to fire.
Has no scope, only open or peep sights. Fiber optic open sites are permitted.
Is free of any electronic devices.
Is at least forty-five (.45) caliber for deer, antelope, or mountain lion.
Is at least fifty (.50) caliber for elk, moose, bighorn sheep, mountain goat, or black bear.

Last edited:

fireguy65

Lil-Rokslider
I have a knight disc. Extreme .52cal in the classified section..... I also have the #11 /musket cap system that would make it legal for Idaho.

OP
Puzzles

Puzzles

FNG
Also look at a used Knight Disc Extreme.
Thanks for the suggestion, but the Knight Disc Extreme uses 209 primers and has a closed bolt from what I can tell. Both items not allowed in Idaho.

The big deal in finding a legal inline ML for Idaho is that it has to have the following

1) Musket cap ignition
2) Ignition system with portion of the cap clearly exposed and visible when cocked and ready to fire.

fireguy65

Lil-Rokslider
I have the bolt to change it back to #11 or musket cap.
It was my understanding that the knight disc extreme was considered a exposed system? I maybe be wrong ?

OP
Puzzles

Puzzles

FNG
I have a knight disc. Extreme .52cal in the classified section..... I also have the #11 /musket cap system that would make it legal for Idaho.

Sorry can't use 209 primers in Idaho, also trying to stay with a 50 Cal. for availably of projectiles. Thanks for the offer
I have the bolt to change it back to #11 or musket cap.
It was my understanding that the knight disc extreme was considered a exposed system? I maybe be wrong ?
I was trying to stay with a 50 Cal. for availably of projectiles. Also I think the Knight has a closed bolt (?) when cocked thus you can't visually see the cap which makes it illegal for Idaho. Thank for the suggestion.

fireguy65

Lil-Rokslider
I would investigate the exposed part of the law......you really could be selling yourself short. The person to ask would be "Sabotloader " on here.

Sorry can't use 209 primers in Idaho, also trying to stay with a 50 Cal. for availably of projectiles. Thanks for the offer

I was trying to stay with a 50 Cal. for availably of projectiles. Also I think the Knight has a closed bolt (?) when cocked thus you can't visually see the cap which makes it illegal for Idaho. Thank for the suggestion.
The Knight when set up for 209 Ignition is a closed bolt. When set up with a Western or even a FPJ bolt it is an open bolt.

Knight with a FPJ bolt, primer adapter, as set for 209 ignition - is closed

IMG-0001.jpg

Knight with Western Bolt or a FPJ bolt without primer adapter set for cap ignition is an open bolt

DE-FPJ-Closed.jpg

So yes, a Knight can be set up for Western hunting or 209 hunting.

OP
Puzzles

Puzzles

FNG
The Knight when set up for 209 Ignition is a closed bolt. When set up with a Western or even a FPJ bolt it is an open bolt.

Knight with a FPJ bolt, primer adapter, as set for 209 ignition - is closed

IMG-0001.jpg

Knight with Western Bolt or a FPJ bolt without primer adapter set for cap ignition is an open bolt

DE-FPJ-Closed.jpg

So yes, a Knight can be set up for Western hunting or 209 hunting.
Boy you just made me triple my budget from the CVA rifles I found, I was hoping somebody had a better solution out there.

Went out to the Knight web site, this is what I came up with for a multi state legal setup.

RIFLE:
Knight Ultra-Lite .50 Cal with bare 209 primer ignition

Plus the following parts........

DISC EXTREME WESTERN CONVERSION KIT

https://www.muzzleloaders.com/product/premier-western-muzzleloader-conversion-kit/

BIGHORN (ALL PLUNGER STYLE) WESTERN LEGAL MUZZLELOADER BREECH PLUG

Above is my best guess, did I miss anything?

Thanks to everyone for their input and ideas

fireguy65

Lil-Rokslider
Puzzles, have you looked at the ballistics of the .52 ? It far out performs the .50 cal.
You are correct that you might have a limited selection of bullets, that same is true about all lead non saboted rounds. Once you find a lead bullet you like I'm sure that will always be your go to bullet, going to the local sports good store will have very limited options for lead only non-saboted.
Go with the best caliber and stock up on bullets so that you will have a good supply. .52 cal pure lead bullets are available.

Boy you just made me triple my budget from the CVA rifles I found, I was hoping somebody had a better solution out there.

Went out to the Knight web site, this is what I came up with for a multi state legal setup.

RIFLE:

https://www.muzzleloaders.com/product/premier-western-muzzleloader-conversion-kit/

You should be set to go! One thing that might change is the nipple. With the correct #11 nipple you can make the breech water proof - or nearly so - by the way the cap fits on the nipple

This is the nipple I prefer.

Spitfire_Nipple.jpg

Testing results

Waterproof-MSM-Spitfire.jpg

The down side of this fit is that the only way to get the nipple off the post is to shoot it off or peel/pry it off with the edge of a knife .

Another problem for some is that the #11 cap will need to be installed with a Capper so you can press the cap on tight. I would also suggest you purchase #11 Magnum Caps or the Dynamit Noble 1075+ cap. Regular #11 caps might not ignite T7 in very cold temps.

This Traditions capper works well for me..

Traditions__11_Capper.jpg

You may have to re-bend the spring steel arm that holds the caps in place. Easy job!

Last edited:

Dented

WKR
You should be set to go! One thing that might change is the nipple. With the correct #11 nipple you can make the breech water proof - or nearly so - by the way the cap fits on the nipple

Spitfire_Nipple.jpg

Testing results

The down side of this fit is that the only way to get the nipple off the post is to shoot it off or peel/pry it off with the edge of a knife .

Another problem for some is that the #11 cap will need to be installed with a Capper so you can press the cap on tight.

You may have to re-bend the spring steel arm that holds the caps in place. Easy job!
Sabot,
Do those nipples fit in the UL breach plug?

OP
Puzzles

Puzzles

FNG
Puzzles, have you looked at the ballistics of the .52 ? It far out performs the .50 cal.
You are correct that you might have a limited selection of bullets, that same is true about all lead non saboted rounds. Once you find a lead bullet you like I'm sure that will always be your go to bullet, going to the local sports good store will have very limited options for lead only non-saboted.
Go with the best caliber and stock up on bullets so that you will have a good supply. .52 cal pure lead bullets are available.
I already have a 50 Cal but it's not legal in Idaho, thus trying to keep things simplified to a single caliber.

OP
Puzzles

Puzzles

FNG

Spitfire_Nipple.jpg

Testing results

Another problem for some is that the #11 cap will need to be installed with a Capper so you can press the cap on tight. I would also suggest you purchase #11 Magnum Caps or the Dynamit Noble 1075+ cap. Regular #11 caps might not ignite T7 in very cold temps.

Thank you for all you for all the help and advice with the post, it's really apricated. Sorry for the delayed response, away on business. Looks like I will be going with a Knight. I also like the fact as it's 100% made in the USA, whereas CVA and Traditions are made in Spain. Thanks again.

RIFLE:

Hoping to resurrect this and find a ID/MT solution. Did you find something that will work for you?