Legal to carry in backcountry?

ElPollo

WKR
What is the downside of getting a CCW? Sure there's a little time and expense, but you actually get to spend a little time at the range when you do it. That's not a downside. You will also be clear about where and how you can legally carry and where and how you can't. Getting one also means that you are legally documenting that your right to own and carry guns is important to you without being a loudmouth jackass about it. Lately, I think the world could use a bit more quiet, level-headed documentation of the importance of individual rights.

Chizzy

FNG
I've got to say I'm a little confused as to what you need protection for or from? Black bears? coyotes? Humans? All of the above will stay clear of you. I've spent plenty of time backcountry in CA nat forests and have never had any need. Also spend time backcountry on the border in So CA... the only time I didn't feel safe was while being molested by CBP agents. Always brought a gun down there but it was a 22lr rifle for jack rabbits (dinner) not for protection.
Stumble in on a grow, and you will wish you were armed

WRM

WKR
Imagine asking permission to exercise your rights.

I didn't. Went to jail for my troubles. Most state attorney's don't give a rat's red ass what your excuse is or your rights are if the "other story" merits probable cause for a charge. You can "tell it to the judge".

Olympics777

Lil-Rokslider
I didn't. Went to jail for my troubles. Most state attorney's don't give a rat's red ass what your excuse is or your rights are if the "other story" merits probable cause for a charge. You can "tell it to the judge".
It’s too bad that that’s the world we live in. It’s sad, actually.

WRM

WKR
It’s too bad that that’s the world we live in. It’s sad, actually.

Pretty much exactly what the anger mgt counselor said, too. He took about two minutes to assess that I did not need counselling and that the whole thing was, as he put it, "bullshit". After that we just talked for a few minutes. He was the only sensible person (besides me) involved in the whole shitty affair.

WRM

WKR
Carry it. You are not the droid they are looking for.

Until you are. Unless you got Ol' Obi Wan riding shotgun with you, better practice up on putting your arms behind your back. And, PS, there aren't any trash compactors on the detention level.

Semorbux

FNG
Got this directly from DFG Website.

The regulations do not require use of nonlead ammunition when target shooting. Use of lead projectiles for target shooting is legal unless CDFW or another government entity has determined otherwise for lands they administer. The regulations do not prohibit the possession of concealable firearms containing lead ammunition, provided the firearm is possessed for personal protection and is not used to take or assist in the take of wildlife. With the exception of ammunition for concealable firearms possessed for personal protection, hunters may not possess lead ammunition along with a firearm capable of firing that ammunition.

Hope this clears things up.

TheGDog

WKR
But if you'd like to "take" the animal you happen to have shot with your pistol, and claim it as your game animal for your tag, then you'd need to be with lead-free and at least 4" of barrel.

If you had to shoot it in Personal Defense, you'd still have to inform them this happened... and... you wouldn't be allowed to take that animal as your game animal if not lead-free and if not at least 4" barrel.