Legit Hog hunt needed, south Texas

JRMiller

WKR
I'm looking for some help on finding a legit, affordable, hog hunt property/lease etc.
This is not for fun, its strictly a meat hunt.
I'm in the New Braunfels area but I dont mind travelling maybe 2-3hrs elsewhere.
My first two attempts north and west of the Austin area were a bust.
First one was a scam, got a weekend lease for a property that had clearly never seen hogs before.
Second showed sign but never visualed a hog and had no shot opportunities.
I lost my job in May and have been unable to find work, so this is literally feeding my family.
I had deer tags in Wyoming to fill the freezer, but couldn't afford the expenses to get there and back so didnt go.

PM me if you'd like to keep any details discreet.
Many thanks
JR

schmalzy

WKR
East TX public land has plenty of opportunities that should only cost you 50 bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wavygravy

FNG
Paying to hunt hogs is not the affordable way I can tell you for sure. Contact local game warden, with the rut on there's a lot of hit deer on the roadways and they'll donate to needy families. Sam Houston NF has hogs and is free other than the license, but good luck finding them. Best bet might be to checkout Texas Hunting Forum and state you're looking for some cull does / hogs and sometimes there's a rancher that needs to thin out some things for cheap. Good luck.

Fitzwho

WKR
I'll check with the in-laws this week and see if they are still running hog hunters through the place. I'll scope it out for you and shoot a couple.

This would be down around Alice, TX.

I have a friend who is an outfitter in South Texas, but he tries to stay away from booking hog hunts because people will leave bad reviews with the BBB over not seeing hogs on a day trip.

Last edited:

wapitibob

WKR
I was in Texas last week on a hog hunt, near sweetwater. Two hogs for $480. Hunting from stands, from 3-6 guys in the field. We saw hogs from our stands every trip out. Last night we finally saw some bigger ones 125+ but a cpl guys shot fatties (200+) We're going back next year if that's any indication. Regular size for us was under 100 but not too bad. The hog area was roughly 350 acres. It's a meat hunt although you can spot/stalk mid day if you want. Our biggest problem was judging the size. From OR we had a heck of a time. I don't know if it was the brush, the feeders, the 10x binos, or what but they all shrunk when we walked up on them.
A friend went at the same time but to a different spot. His first comment was " I knew it was gonna be a shit show when I saw the billboards on the freeway". 50 hunters in 280 acres.

I'll pm you the info

IMG_4345.PNG

My brothers bigger one. Other guys were seeing this size regularly.

IMG_4350.JPG

Last edited:

robtattoo

WKR
I can promise you, from many years of experience. You're not going to find a couple of days hog hunting in Texas guaranteed to get meat in your freezer cheaper than just going to either a livestock sale or buying direct from a local farmer. Butcher it yourself & you're money in the bank.
235lb on the hoof, $235 as a sale leftover.
20200530_173804.jpg
20200531_105842.jpg

OP
J

JRMiller

WKR
Paying to hunt hogs is not the affordable way I can tell you for sure. Contact local game warden, with the rut on there's a lot of hit deer on the roadways and they'll donate to needy families. Sam Houston NF has hogs and is free other than the license, but good luck finding them. Best bet might be to checkout Texas Hunting Forum and state you're looking for some cull does / hogs and sometimes there's a rancher that needs to thin out some things for cheap. Good luck.
Hey appreciate that, good tips, thanks ✅

OP
J

JRMiller

WKR
I can promise you, from many years of experience. You're not going to find a couple of days hog hunting in Texas guaranteed to get meat in your freezer cheaper than just going to either a livestock sale or buying direct from a local farmer. Butcher it yourself & you're money in the bank.
235lb on the hoof, $235 as a sale leftover.
View attachment 349214
View attachment 349213
Hey, im willing to do that, thanks for the advice.
"Lost"....... 🤔

View attachment 349223

Nothing wrong with wanting a cheap getaway, but trying to play to folks charitable nature?
My employer was UK based company and announced they were pulling out of the US.
They allowed me to choose my last day, as the wind down process took months.
Explaining in an interview you were terminated/laid off many will not hire you as a policy.
So yes, i did resign, but not by choice.
And yes, i took a month off since I thought, at the time, i had a job lined up in Texas.
Turned out they screwed me.

OP
J

JRMiller

WKR
Applied to 47 jobs so far and only two calls and one interview. And when I arrived at that interview, an hours drive away, they proceeded to tell me the position was filled the day before.
When you apply via Indeed or Careerbuilder they show you how many other candidates have aplplied, and its typically 40-50 for the automotive sector jobs i’m applying for. I even saw 77 one time.

OP
J

JRMiller

WKR
East TX public land has plenty of opportunities that should only cost you 50 bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, but no idea where those are.
If theres some publicly advertised i’d appreciate a link or so form of info.
Otherwise im assuming these are “my brothers friends sister in laws dad place borrowed from the neighbor” 😎

OP
J

JRMiller

WKR
How many require a degree?
How many require certification?
How many require any previous experience?
How many require 3, 5, 10 years etc. experience?
How many require being bilingual?
How many pay more than $12 an hour?
How many require a CDL or class A etc?
Etc etc
Its not that simple.

Okhotnik

WKR
am I the only one that finds this crazy. Jobs openings in this country are at an all time high (over 10 MILLION). If you can't find a job right now it's because you don't want to !!!
my thoughts too. Driving across the US recently and literally every business has a help wanted sign up now. Even Mc Donalds is paying $15 an our with all of the OT you want.

Easily be shift manager within a month and won't have too starve to death

OP
J

JRMiller

WKR
my thoughts too. Driving across the US recently and literally every business has a help wanted sign up now. Even Mc Donalds is paying $15 an our with all of the OT you want.

Easily be shift manager within a month and won't have too starve
You think a new hire at Mickeys starts at $15😆?
Easy to say when you can have a job.
And you think a new hire at Mickeys makes $15?
And you think a shift manager pays enough to tale care of a family?
Lol...