Lehigh 40x200 XP in a 1-28 Twist

After shooting yesterday, I still had that nagging thought - I wonder if these will shoot in a 1-28 twist rifle. So this morning I did return to the farm with a Knight DISC Elite in 50 cal. The weather was lousy, well not really as compared to a normal winter, but it was raining the field was a muddy mess. But I needed to know.

You can see in this pic with the target and muddy tracks in the background and how wet it is and really can not see the mud to the best effect - but believe Palouse mud being mostly clay is yicky stuff.

Back to business - I used the same materials that I had used the day before, but today I only shot three 80 grain loads and three 120 grain loads. Plus a change of sabots - I was shooting the MMP 40x50 Blue.

I popped three primers to semi foul the bore loaded up the first round and decided what-the-heck and shot it at the target. Followed that with 2 more 80 grain shots on the target. I was thinking if a 80 grain load through a 1-28 - that should really be a good test for stability. Looking through the scope at the target I really only saw 2 holes and one of them was bigger than normal. I feared the worst 'Tumbling' again. But I was positive I heard the bullet hit all three shots. So I walked out in the mud and checked - I did hit it 3 times but it was hard to tell and no tumble.

walked back and loaded up the hunting load 120 grains 3 shots basically the same results...

So it really appears to me that the bullet will stabilize in a 1-28 twist.

I am hoping to get out again tomorrow and maybe get some chrono times.

Forks

FNG
Thanks for all the information you give so freely on all the forums. What are your thoughts so far as an elk dropper?

OP
sabotloader
Thanks for all the information you give so freely on all the forums. What are your thoughts so far as an elk dropper?

To be honest with you, I am not sure yet. I will use a XP on a deer this year prior to elk season and then make a decision. But right now I would indicated that I will still probably use a .458x305 Controlled Fracture for elk during rifle season and if we do the ML season then of course I have to use a lead conical. I have had such good luck with the CF bullet and I am old 'really old' it really is hard to teach me a new trick - gotta see it for myself...