Leica 2700-B vs. RX-1200i TBR/W - EHR/EHD issue and visibility

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I posted in January (https://www.rokslide.com/forums/thr...-1200i-tbr-w-to-leica-vortex-or-other.154797/) about a possible upgrade from the Leupold to the Leica. I did it and am now comparing them prior to an upcoming elk hunt.

Visibility - the Leica seems to have better optics, but the readout on the Leupold is much easier see, especially with a dark background. The Leupy also measures at shorter ranges.

EHR/EHD. One issue that stuck in my mind was a comment by @Terrapin about keeping the Leupold for bowhunting. I'm guessing this is in reference to the "Bow" setting in the Leupold that makes it crystal clear you are getting the Equivalent Horizontal Distance when shooting at an angle. The Leica manual (such as it is...) is much less clear on this point, and only references the EHD (sometimes called EHr by Leica) in the rifle ballistics section. I've read other posts (here and elsewhere) that talk about the EHr being available on the Leica if you wait for 2 seconds. I must be doing something wrong, as I'm not seeing the range change. I also tested both side by side with the Leupy in the BOW setting and while there were some minor variations at an angle (a yard or two differences), I'm thinking EHR is automatically showing up in the Leica? That would be preferable, rather than having to use a ballistics setting. I'm sure it's just me overlooking something.

Overall - not sure which to take for the elk trip, but will definitely keep the Leupy (as recommended) for whitetail stand hunts. Just debating whether I should keep the Leica (for rifle hunting, but I doubt I need the extra range), or unload it.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
For the Leica EHR you have to go through the settings and make sure ballistics is on and then pick the ehr readout on next menu. You can check you current settings by hitting the menu button twice quickly I believe to make sure it’s on (could be mistaken). Then when you range, you will get the straight line distance first, then about two seconds later, if there is a difference, the compensated will come up. If there is no difference, it just reads one number. It’s convoluted in the manual for sure, but I’ve never had an issue in using the 2000b for 3 years.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
@Turkeygetpwnd38 I still could not get two numbers to show up, so I reached out to Leica. I suppose this would be obvious to anyone else, butI got the following reply from Leica CS:

"Make sure you also choose an SID value and a ballistics curve. You can just pick 100 and US1 respectfully in the corresponding menu sections of the rangefinder if the measured yardage will be under 100. Not setting those however will prevent the EHr from being calculated and displayed. What you should see when everything is programmed correctly and after hitting the range button to light the reticle and then again to measure the distance, is the line-of-sight value comes up first as usual and then the corrected distance value comes up along with the displayed reticle and the letters EHr."

I confirmed that picking the ballistics curve, even for just bow hunting, is required.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
@Turkeygetpwnd38 I still could not get two numbers to show up, so I reached out to Leica. I suppose this would be obvious to anyone else, butI got the following reply from Leica CS:

"Make sure you also choose an SID value and a ballistics curve. You can just pick 100 and US1 respectfully in the corresponding menu sections of the rangefinder if the measured yardage will be under 100. Not setting those however will prevent the EHr from being calculated and displayed. What you should see when everything is programmed correctly and after hitting the range button to light the reticle and then again to measure the distance, is the line-of-sight value comes up first as usual and then the corrected distance value comes up along with the displayed reticle and the letters EHr."

I confirmed that picking the ballistics curve, even for just bow hunting, is required.
Yea sorry if I was not clear, that’s what I did, I mentioned making sure ballistics were turned on. It took me about 30 minutes to finally be comfortable I did it right, manual is almost no help! It was just funny because I went through this the day before you posted about it!