Leica 2800.com Review Thread

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Roksliders,

I have a new advanced tech rangefinder in for review. The Leica 2800.com combines Leica's history of making dependable rangefinders with bluetooth connectivity and advanced ballistic solution computation.

Bookmark this thread for updates!

outward

FNG
Eager to read the review on the 2800.COM.

What are the ballistic readout options? I'm hoping it will report decimals of MOA (e.g. "6.5 MOA"). I know some of the early model Geovid HD-Bs would only report in either clicks (26 clicks) or whole MOA (7). I can't imagine why anyone would want to know 26 clicks rather than 6.5 MOA (for 1/4 MOA scope). If it will show decimals of MOA like "6.5" it'll be the ticket for me.

Eager to read the review on the 2800.COM.

What are the ballistic readout options? I'm hoping it will report decimals of MOA (e.g. "6.5 MOA"). I know some of the early model Geovid HD-Bs would only report in either clicks (26 clicks) or whole MOA (7). I can't imagine why anyone would want to know 26 clicks rather than 6.5 MOA (for 1/4 MOA scope). If it will show decimals of MOA like "6.5" it'll be the ticket for me.

It will do what you are asking about. Shot an animal last weekend at 407 and got 6.7 MOA, dialed to 6 then 3 more clicks, done, dead animal.

askibness

Lil-Rokslider
Didn’t care for the brightness of the reticle or readings on the 2700. Hope it improved on this iteration.

Didn’t care for the brightness of the reticle or readings on the 2700. Hope it improved on this iteration.

You can adjust the brightness in the app. I have mine on “auto” and it’s been fine, hasnt bothered me or been ineffective in any way. Haven’t looked if you can change the reticle, mine is a small circle type dot and has worked at the range and on 3 animals this year so far without wishing for anything different.

IDMONK

FNG
It’s a real bummer Leica display is so dim, really disappears to me in bright conditions (snow).

ckleeves

WKR
Anybody else having trouble with the 2800 just eating batteries? I have had a bunch of different Leica RF’s and would usually just try and remember to change the battery at the beginning of season every year but don’t think I ever drained a battery in any of them in a year.

My buddy and I both got 2800’s this year and they flat eat batteries. Almost missed a opportunity at a bull because of it. Got one range on him before the battery died and I had replaced it 2 days before!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anybody else having trouble with the 2800 just eating batteries? I have had a bunch of different Leica RF’s and would usually just try and remember to change the battery at the beginning of season every year but don’t think I ever drained a battery in any of them in a year.

My buddy and I both got 2800’s this year and they flat eat batteries. Almost missed a opportunity at a bull because of it. Got one range on him before the battery died and I had replaced it 2 days before!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hmmmm. I just thought I had a bad battery when mine went dead this year after using/practicing with it for a few months. Went to range a deer and nothing, I thought it was maybe frozen because it was cold. Move it from my chest pack into my pants pocket to try and thaw it out, still nothing. I ended up hiking out that afternoon and drove to the closest town to get a new battery, luckily they had a few at a auto parts store. Now I keep a spare li-ion in my kit. I haven’t had to replace that battery yet, but you have me worried it really does eat them up!

I love the range finder other than that...

Smokey12

Lil-Rokslider
Is there a way to turn off the bluetooth in the field to limit the battery consumption?

Montyb

FNG
Is there a way to turn off the bluetooth in the field to limit the battery consumption?

Smokey12--I am also looking at the 2800.com. According to the manual, you can turn the Bluetooth off. Would like to know if this does increase battery life.
1581081892508.png

Smokey12

Lil-Rokslider
Ya I figured just like a phone if it is left on it can have the potential to use more battery life. Thanks Monty.

Montyb

FNG
So does anyone know how well the equivalent horizontal range (EHR) works? From other reviews for earlier models I have heard that the diagonal range is given and then 2 seconds later the EHR range is given. Is that how the 2800 is? For us bow hunters this seams like an easy way to make a big error in distance.

Thanks MB

outward

FNG
So does anyone know how well the equivalent horizontal range (EHR) works? From other reviews for earlier models I have heard that the diagonal range is given and then 2 seconds later the EHR range is given. Is that how the 2800 is? For us bow hunters this seams like an easy way to make a big error in distance.

Thanks MB
It works as you described. Line of sight distance is displayed first, then the EHR range. I can relate to this concern but can say it’s been working great for me. I’m primarily a bow hunter, used the 2800 all last season and am coming from a Vortex where the only range it gives you is the EHR. In practice, I haven’t disliked the Leica’s system at all. At times I actually like knowing the LOS distance as well. With the rifle, I definitely prefer this. Makes it super simple to know LOS distance, EHR, angle in degrees and environmental all with 2 button pushes. But yes, it’s as you say and I haven’t had any complaints after bowhunting with it for 6 months.