Leica 3500.com

ghostmoney

Lil-Rokslider
Put a preorder in for the Leica 3500.com and received it Feb 1st. So far it seems ranging trees/ stumps in clear cuts in heavy overcast conditions is about 2,000 yards free hand. Comparing it against my original terrapin it’s within a yard out to 2,000 yards, but the terrapin gets a range more frequently and furthest range on tree was 2,730 vs 2065 for the Leica.
small shrubs I was picking up out to about 1800 yards.Using a tripod was able to get readings on non reflective surfaces out to 3324 yards. Terrapin ranged out to 3846. Mostly reading tree stumps in clear cuts in partly cloudy conditions. The leica returns the range instantly vs the terrapin taking a few seconds to return a range. Past about 2-2500 yards the Terrapin is better and returning a range more frequently than the Leica, but that could be partly that its larger size its easier for me to hold steady.

The Bluetooth connection is definitely quicker than the 2800.com that I had played with for a few weeks. Links up very quickly (within about 8 seconds). The rangefinder turns off after 5 minutes of sitting idle and the connection will be lost. The blue tooth connection to a kestrel is only good to about 6' and then drops the connection. I had an issue with it taking longer to reconnect after dropping the connection and had to turn both the rangefinder and the kestrel off to get them reconnected. I now have the connection on the kestrel locked though and I have had no issues since with it dropping the connection and not reconnecting quickly. I tested this for an hour turning the rangefinder off then back on, letting it sit idle until it lost the connection and every time it would reconnect to the kestrel within 8 seconds without me needing to touch the kestrel.

I had the Leica 2800.com for a couple weeks but returned it because of the bad connection with the kestrel and constantly dropping the connection and taking a long time to reconnect, the 3500 seems to have fixed that issue. Another improvement is the change of the battery comparing to a tool less design.

Three things I would like to see improved upon:
1). Threaded hole for Arca mount
2). Increase the distance the bluetooth works at
3). Display the elevation and windage correction at the same time and stay on until you range again.

tdot

WKR
Thanks for the review.

Any thoughts on the 2800 vs 3500 for ranging at distance? (Understanding that you didn't have them at the same time).

I was considering the 3500, but if it needs to be tripod mounted for distances greater then 2000-2500 yards, then the extra distance isnt as great of a benefit to me over the 2800.

OutdoorAg

WKR
Just so I have this correctly...

When using your phone/app for the solution, you must have your phone on, app on the screen, and BT connected to the device in order to get the solution? IE - no "storing" of the custom solution in the RF, only grabbing the solution from your inputs into the app?

khuber84

WKR

When using your phone/app for the solution, you must have your phone on, app on the screen, and BT connected to the device in order to get the solution? IE - no "storing" of the custom solution in the RF, only grabbing the solution from your inputs into the app?
I don't think there is any difference in processing dope w/ just the bino, or with the phone, you onlu get data out to 1100y. Once you connect a kestrel w/ premium abm it'll give dope as far as you can range. I believe you can make a wind call with either the bino or with the phone app. There is storing of rifle data in the rangefinder.

Brix8984

WKR
I don't think there is any difference in processing dope w/ just the bino, or with the phone, you onlu get data out to 1100y. Once you connect a kestrel w/ premium abm it'll give dope as far as you can range. I believe you can make a wind call with either the bino or with the phone app. There is storing of rifle data in the rangefinder.
Does the bino make a wind call day for a preset 10mph crosswind when not paired with phone or kestrel?

No. Once the CRF 3500 is programmed, you don't need a connection. The calculation is run internally.

Does the bino make a wind call day for a preset 10mph crosswind when not paired with phone or kestrel?

Wind calls are only achievable with connection to a Kestrel. The Kestrel's Applied Ballistics runs the calculation and sends it back to the Geovid. Here's the breakdown:

Calculations made from programming the unit via Leica's app are all internal (elevation corrections only, to 1000y for ballistics, 1200y for Equivalent Horizontal Range). Changing settings .COM Leica's from the app currently requires the phone to have a cell signal. Hopefully this will be changed soon.

Calculations made using the Kestrel are made externally and include elevation and wind for shots as far as the rangefinder can measure distance. Only a Bluetooth connection between the units is required for any .COM Leica to work with a Kestrel.

OutdoorAg

WKR
This appears to be the (nearly) do it all RF Bino for hunting. This and the Zeiss model.
Anyone surprised Swaro hasn’t swung in with their own updated RF bin?

Put a preorder in for the Leica 3500.com and received it Feb 1st. So far it seems ranging trees/ stumps in clear cuts in heavy overcast conditions is about 2,000 yards free hand. Comparing it against my original terrapin it’s within a yard out to 2,000 yards, but the terrapin gets a range more frequently and furthest range on tree was 2,730 vs 2065 for the Leica.
small shrubs I was picking up out to about 1800 yards.Using a tripod was able to get readings on non reflective surfaces out to 3324 yards. Terrapin ranged out to 3846. Mostly reading tree stumps in clear cuts in partly cloudy conditions. The leica returns the range instantly vs the terrapin taking a few seconds to return a range. Past about 2-2500 yards the Terrapin is better and returning a range more frequently than the Leica, but that could be partly that its larger size its easier for me to hold steady.

The Bluetooth connection is definitely quicker than the 2800.com that I had played with for a few weeks. Links up very quickly (within about 8 seconds). The rangefinder turns off after 5 minutes of sitting idle and the connection will be lost. The blue tooth connection to a kestrel is only good to about 6' and then drops the connection. I had an issue with it taking longer to reconnect after dropping the connection and had to turn both the rangefinder and the kestrel off to get them reconnected. I now have the connection on the kestrel locked though and I have had no issues since with it dropping the connection and not reconnecting quickly. I tested this for an hour turning the rangefinder off then back on, letting it sit idle until it lost the connection and every time it would reconnect to the kestrel within 8 seconds without me needing to touch the kestrel.

I had the Leica 2800.com for a couple weeks but returned it because of the bad connection with the kestrel and constantly dropping the connection and taking a long time to reconnect, the 3500 seems to have fixed that issue. Another improvement is the change of the battery comparing to a tool less design.

Three things I would like to see improved upon:
1). Threaded hole for Arca mount
2). Increase the distance the bluetooth works at
3). Display the elevation and windage correction at the same time and stay on until you range again.

Please PM me. I'm new and can't pm you. Thanks!

The ZEISS RF is so much better. I’ve used the ZEISS for 18 months and have used the Leica for 1 month, but that was long enough. It was a loaner. The ZEISS as of now is king for RF Binos. Easy to load your data. Ranges close to 3k and gives you a ballistic readout at ANY distance. Unlike the Leica and Sig that have certain “requirements” to give you an actual MOA, MIL or Clicks past a certain yardage whether that be a phone connection or Kestrel. The glass is a wash between the ZEISS and the Leica. Ones a little more warmer than the other and one seemed to have a little more pop...but all personal preference.
I was told Swaro had something they were working on but I was also told that beginning of last year
So we will see.

OutdoorAg

WKR
The ZEISS RF is so much better. I’ve used the ZEISS for 18 months and have used the Leica for 1 month, but that was long enough. It was a loaner. The ZEISS as of now is king for RF Binos. Easy to load your data. Ranges close to 3k and gives you a ballistic readout at ANY distance. Unlike the Leica and Sig that have certain “requirements” to give you an actual MOA, MIL or Clicks past a certain yardage whether that be a phone connection or Kestrel. The glass is a wash between the ZEISS and the Leica. Ones a little more warmer than the other and one seemed to have a little more pop...but all personal preference.
I was told Swaro had something they were working on but I was also told that beginning of last year
So we will see.

Id agree with you, but the RF button placement on the Zeiss is an easy pass. Terrible ergonomic choice.

Id agree with you, but the RF button placement on the Zeiss is an easy pass. Terrible ergonomic choice.

I’m assuming your referring to the new ZEISS RF’s? I honestly love the location and couldn’t think of anywhere that It would be better placed. My only complaint is it would be great if it was slightly elevated so it’s easier to feel when glassing.

Attachments

• 2905FCDA-AB08-42D7-A19B-86C85BE4D011.png
    2905FCDA-AB08-42D7-A19B-86C85BE4D011.png
    1 MB · Views: 27

OutdoorAg

WKR
I’m assuming your referring to the new ZEISS RF’s? I honestly love the location and couldn’t think of anywhere that It would be better placed. My only complaint is it would be great if it was slightly elevated so it’s easier to feel when glassing.

Yes, the location is way too far from the focus wheel.

Sig got it right on the BDX
Leica got it right Geovid
Vortex got it right on the Fury

The closer to the focus wheel, the easier it is to tap the range button without shifting your grip. I suppose someone with longer than avg fingers or large hands could maintain grip on the bins and still tap the range button on the Zeiss. But IMO, and others, that button is too far from the wheel. It sits out on the tube and makes for a funky re-grip if trying to hit the range button with your index finger.

Just my opinion, but I’d rather have the ergonomics of the Leica. I’m not shooting game over 1000, so that tech stop doesn’t bother me.

Last edited:
Yes, the location is way too far from the focus wheel.

Sig got it right on the BDX
Leica got it right Geovid
Vortex got it right on the Fury

The closer to the focus wheel, the easier it is to tap the range button without shifting your grip. I suppose someone with longer than avg fingers or large hands could maintain grip on the bins and still tap the range button on the Zeiss. But IMO, and others, that button is too far from the wheel. It sits out on the tube and makes for a funky re-grip if trying to hit the range button with your index finger.

Ah. Ya, definitely makes sense. I adjust the focus wheel with my left and and range with the right. I can see how it’s awkward though. Never noticed it that far forward but I do remember my buddy complaining about it as well.

BigPrince

FNG
Reviews on another forum have been spotty on the 3500.com Having read your review I'm going to give it a shot. Thanks!