Leica Amplus 6 Riflescope review by Josh Boyd **updated 7/5/22**

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey all, looks like we'll be getting our hands on this one soon. Still working on rifle to put it on, but @Josh Boyd will be hunting with this scope this fall. Subscribe at the Watch button upper right in full-site mode or the flag upper right in Tapa Talk to follow the review.

All we have on it now is their promo video below but talking with Leica, seems like this will be a great premium scope for the Western hunter wanting to stretch it out a bit without to much bulk and weight. Can't wait to hear Josh's thoughts.

**Updated 7/5/22** Leica Amplus 6 Riflescope Review

arock

Lil-Rokslider
I grabbed a discontinued Magnus for a bunch of monies off. Very similar scope. Its outstanding. Eastmans just posted a review as well on YouTube for the Amplus. Looks like pretty natural excitement about the product.

Clarktar

WKR
I grabbed a discontinued Magnus for a bunch of monies off. Very similar scope. Its outstanding. Eastmans just posted a review as well on YouTube for the Amplus. Looks like pretty natural excitement about the product.
I've been looking for a discounted Magnus! Congrats

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
The test scope arrived last week and I am really excited to see how it performs! I mounted it on my Lane Precision 300 RUM as a test platform. I will be working up a new load for the rifle and will get plenty of time to see how it tracks and holds zero.

P1000556.JPG

First impressions are positive as it seems like a robust build. The build quality is exceptional and the glass is crystal clear.

P1000555.JPG P1000557.JPG

It's been a few years since I've used a second focal plane reticle, and I think this one will work out. It is crisp and the lighted dot option will be useful in low light with the 44mm objective lens.
P1000558.JPG

Here is a comparison between the last scope (Maven RS.3 5-25x 50mm) I used on the LPR rifle. The Amplus has slightly more ring mounting space and more clearance between the barrel and the front lens. And it feels a little more trim in the hand. Both scopes are in @HawkinsPrecision low rings.
P1000559.JPG

I am really looking forward to getting this to the range! Let me know if you have any questions or requests as this review progresses.

-Josh

Last edited by a moderator:

MtnW

Lil-Rokslider
I would be interested hearing about which models Leica believes will be their largest sellers. Also would like to read about the different reticles available and the 50mm objective models.

G8ters

Lil-Rokslider
I have a ampllus 6 from a Leica warranty replacement. Thank you Leica. Great customer service. Amazing scope. It’s like a 2-18 power. At 3 power I can see my barrel on a 22” barrel like my 2-10 Leupold. I’ll leave the reviews to the pros but side be side to my vx6 3-18 the the Leica has more color pop. Just looks more vibrant. Both are very clear but Leica has less chromatic aberration on 18 and just has more pop. Even though it weighs 4 oz more than the 3-18 vx6 it stays in my ultralight 6.5 PRC.

G8ters

Lil-Rokslider
Same as the one here. They only make one in the 3-18 44. For a spf, I think it’s a little busy. The illuminated dot is fine. But I do like the firedot system a little better. I have firedot windplex on my 2 vx6 and it’s all I think that’s needed in hunting. Pick up the firedot and it’s on. Shame that Leupold doesn’t make firedot windplex anymore.

I really like the color and clarity of the Leica. Great field of view.

Last edited:

arock

Lil-Rokslider
Nice. Do you have one of the .com rangefinders to pair with it? Their ballistic software looks pretty cool (though I haven't had a chance to get to the range yet with it).

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nice. Do you have one of the .com rangefinders to pair with it? Their ballistic software looks pretty cool (though I haven't had a chance to get to the range yet with it).

I have a 2800 range finder that will spit out solutions and have used it for a couple of years now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been working on load development now that the fire danger has dropped considerably. My first impressions of the Amplus 6 are very positive. It tracks perfectly with very positive clicks. I really like the zero-stop function and the ease of zeroing the turret. And the glass clarity is top notch!

There will be more to come as the fall progresses.

P1000577.JPG
P1000576.JPG

Last edited:

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Looking forward to more info. I am interested in the 2.5-15x56 for whitetail.