Leica Apo 65 vs Kowa 773 or other.....

golfbum

WKR
Looking for a new spotter.

I can get a new Kowa 773 for a little under 2k or the Leica apo 65 for $2700. Both would be brand new from dealers.

anyone compare them?

also is it worth the coin over a gen 1 razor 85 (which I have owned and liked) for $700ish.

not looking at swaro as I have owned an ats and wasn’t wowed by it.

I would prefer single do it all spotter that I probably don’t use as much as some.

ghostrider272

Lil-Rokslider
Have the Kowa and love it. Haven't compared it to anything other than a Bushnell Elite 80 mm. Do like that Kowa though!

JGRaider

WKR
If you don't mind a full size spotter, I owned the Kowa 884 before I bought a Meopta S2. We were guiding mule deer/aoudad/antelope hunts at that time and my buddy had the Zeiss 85. I wound up keeping the S2. It was slightly superior (to me) to the Kowa at higher mags, and noticeably better than the Zeiss. The only thing better is the newer Swaro modular system, by a slight margin.

OP
golfbum

golfbum

WKR
If you don't mind a full size spotter, I owned the Kowa 884 before I bought a Meopta S2. We were guiding mule deer/aoudad/antelope hunts at that time and my buddy had the Zeiss 85. I wound up keeping the S2. It was slightly superior (to me) to the Kowa at higher mags, and noticeably better than the Zeiss. The only thing better is the newer Swaro modular system, by a slight margin.
Thanks for the feedback, have read great stuff about S2. I would prefer to stay closer to the mid range size if going with an alpha spotter as I can only afford one and don’t see myself packing a 85 very often. If I went the 85 razor route I would keep the 50 I already own as a light weight option.

65 alpha (Leica, kowa 77,etc) or 50/85 razors for a lot cheaper.....

Hiwallman

Lil-Rokslider
I really like the Leica 65 spotter with the 25-50x wide angle lens. Been wanting one myself but....I noticed that the L65 has been discontinued. I wonder if Leica has a new spotter in the works?.? Kowa makes great optics as well. Never starred down a Meopta so I have no opinion there.

keller

WKR
Where are you finding the kowa 77 under $2k. I see camera land at $2070

E Butler

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Leica apo 65 and really like it a lot. I had the Swarovski ATM 65 and traded it for the Leica because Leica glass just is so much more pleasing than the Swarovski to my eyes. I also had a Nikon HD50 that was a nice little scope it just can hang with the alpha glass.

tdhanses

WKR
Thanks for the feedback, have read great stuff about S2. I would prefer to stay closer to the mid range size if going with an alpha spotter as I can only afford one and don’t see myself packing a 85 very often. If I went the 85 razor route I would keep the 50 I already own as a light weight option.

65 alpha (Leica, kowa 77,etc) or 50/85 razors for a lot cheaper.....
If your going to put the razor 50/65 on your list might as well consider the Kowa 55, great deal on them currently.

I have both the Kowa 77 and 55, have had the vortex razor in 65, ATS hd in 80, a vanguard and minox and few others, have spent time behind zeiss and Leica.

Personally I’d take vortex off your list and stick to meopta s2, Leica, Kowa and Swaro as your options but that’s just me.

I‘d go with the Kowa 77 over the Leica 65.

Last edited:
I have no experience at all with Leica spotters, though I'm sure they wouldn't disappoint.

While I don't own one, I have spent time behind a couple of Kowa 774s and absolutely loved them. If I were looking to go up in size, that would be my choice without a doubt.

That won't be happening anytime soon though. I have a 554 which is perfect for what I do with a scope, in a compact 28oz package, that has a guaranteed ride in my pack no matter what I'm doing.