Leica Geovid 3200 has me confused

HighnDry

FNG
I just bought the Leica Geovid 3200 and am a little confused.

In the settings, you can set the Output Formats in EHr (Equivalent Horizontal Range), HOLd (relevant holdover) or the number of clicks (MOA or MIL). In the instruction manual, it states that EHr and HOLd take into consideration distance to the target, inclination, temperature/atmospheric, and set zeroing distance. It goes onto say that MOA/MIL adjustments takes into consideration of the ballistic curve and the zeroing distance.

If this is true, I'm a bit disappointed. I think most of us would use the MOA/MIL clicks, but if it's not taking into consideration of the inclination then you really aren't getting the full information. The temperature/atmospherics bother me less, since I can tweak the ballistic curve prior to the hunt. Before I purchased the Binos, I could find no online reviews which mentioned the above information and they all implied that all the Output Formats took into account the inclination and temperature/atmospherics.

OP
H

HighnDry

FNG
Bummer...

I just ranged from a distance of 320 yds from an inclination of -12 degree. With the EHr it noted the distance of 314 and with MILs it noted the clicks, but the distance remained 320.

With this information, I think I would leave the output as EHr and still use my DOPE card. What do you guys think?

OP
H

HighnDry

FNG
LOL good point.
All in all, all the variables have pretty minimal effects at hunting distances.

tdhanses

WKR
I have the HDB2200 and use the Mil and dial my ballistics in first shooting and verifying at distance and make velocity adjustments, I then use their software to get as close to that as I can. In reality it’ll be good enough.

OP
H

HighnDry

FNG
Yes, I got caught up in all the data that I couldn't see the forest for the trees!

OP
H

HighnDry

FNG
Correct. You can set the Binos to account for inclination and temp, but then you lose the mils/moa readout.

Correct. You can set the Binos to account for inclination and temp, but then you lose the mils/moa readout.

Gotcha. What's the format readout for Holdover then if you are using a mil scope/ballistic formula in the Bino? If the elevation correction were, e.g., 5.7 mil, would the bino read out "5.7"? Just wondering why you wouldn't want to use holdover if the mil clicks don't account for inclination. Thanks

tdhanses

WKR
Here is what I found for the 3200.

Once your target has been identified and ranged, the Geovid will correct for temperature, air pressure, and shot angle. Immediately, the equivalent horizontal range (EHR), holdover, or the number of necessary clicks for that shot will be displayed in the binocular

tdhanses

WKR
Gotcha. What's the format readout for Holdover then if you are using a mil scope/ballistic formula in the Bino? If the elevation correction were, e.g., 5.7 mil, would the bino read out "5.7"? Just wondering why you wouldn't want to use holdover if the mil clicks don't account for inclination. Thanks
Isn’t inclination taken into consideration with the ballistics curve as well as all other atmospheric data? It just doesn’t display the two distances rather the distance to shoot and then clicks. I also use a custom curve on my sd card which it will adjust that data based on elevation, atmospherics and distance.

I’ll look at my manual for my 2200.

Isn’t inclination taken into consideration with the ballistics curve as well as all other atmospheric data? It just doesn’t display the two distances rather the distance to shoot and then clicks. I also use a custom curve on my sd card which it will adjust that data based on elevation, atmospherics and distance.

I’ll look at my manual for my 2200.

Thanks. I just want to be sure that the elevation adjustment readout is as accurate as can be and that I'm not hamstrung by which readout format I choose. In other words, I don't care what the bino tells me for distance as long as the elevation adjustment is accurate. (I'll exaggerate the shot distance by 10% anyway. (y) )

tdhanses

WKR
Yup it takes inclination into consideration when in mil/moa clicks.

The ABC® system can calculate results for three different correc- tion formats, so you’re ready for any hunting situation. Whichever you choose, the temperature, air pressure and angle of inclination are automatically considered in the calculation.

Even back in 2013 it did, look at page 13, https://www.leica-camera.cn/sites/d...06/130620_rz_rangefinding_en-uk_low.pdf?fdl=1

Yup it takes inclination into consideration when in mil/moa clicks.

The ABC® system can calculate results for three different correc- tion formats, so you’re ready for any hunting situation. Whichever you choose, the temperature, air pressure and angle of inclination are automatically considered in the calculation.

Even back in 2013 it did, look at page 13, https://www.leica-camera.cn/sites/d...06/130620_rz_rangefinding_en-uk_low.pdf?fdl=1
Thanks for that. Do you have a prefer tripod mount solution for the 3200s?

OP
H

HighnDry

FNG
This is not correct...

As stated above:

In the settings, you can set the Output Formats in EHr (Equivalent Horizontal Range), HOLd (relevant holdover) or the number of clicks (MOA or MIL). In the instruction manual, it states that EHr and HOLd take into consideration distance to the target, inclination, temperature/atmospheric, and set zeroing distance. It goes onto say that MOA/MIL adjustments takes into consideration of the ballistic curve and the zeroing distance.

Here is the instruction manual https://www.bhphotovideo.com/lit_files/653694.pdf

OP
H

HighnDry

FNG
After playing around with the Binos, you realize that at hunting ranges (for me < 500 yds), the EHR is pretty minimal even with significant slope. IMO, it's much more useful to range and have the clicks displayed. In the mil setting it will display in whole numbers- meaning 17 would be 1.7 clicks.

I also use the RRS cinch.

OP
H

HighnDry

FNG
If you want the most accurate info, you can bluetooth your Kestrel to the Binos. It will send the EHR, measured distance, and direction to the Kestrel and the Kestrel will run the data and output to the Binos.

You could also use the Holdover output. That does take into account slope, temp, and altitude.

Sorry for being late to the party -just saw this thread.
  • NO Leica COM products correct for temp and station pressure in EHR mode (that's a misprint in the manual). These are switched off in EHR mode because most folks using EHR have custom turrets and custom turrets are cut for temp and alt. Correcting for temp and alt in the bino and then doing so again in the turret will result in a double correction, and possibly a miss.
  • When programmed to give MOA, MILs, or holdover corrections, angle, temp, station pressure and ballistics are all factored into the dope provided.
  • And to answer another question, when getting dope in MILs (the 10 setting in the unit's menu, the clicks:10mm/100m setting in the app), the unit will read 'C- 77' for a 7.7 MIL correction. I've attached a cheat sheet that covers 90%+ of the questions I encounter when helping folks program their COMs. Hope it's a help.

Attachments

• Leica BlueTooth programming Cheat Sheet.pdf
    206.4 KB · Views: 191
Sorry for being late to the party -just saw this thread.
  • NO Leica COM products correct for temp and station pressure in EHR mode (that's a misprint in the manual). These are switched off in EHR mode because most folks using EHR have custom turrets and custom turrets are cut for temp and alt. Correcting for temp and alt in the bino and then doing so again in the turret will result in a double correction, and possibly a miss.
  • When programmed to give MOA, MILs, or holdover corrections, angle, temp, station pressure and ballistics are all factored into the dope provided.
  • And to answer another question, when getting dope in MILs (the 10 setting in the unit's menu, the clicks:10mm/100m setting in the app), the unit will read 'C- 77' for a 7.7 MIL correction. I've attached a cheat sheet that covers 90%+ of the questions I encounter when helping folks program their COMs. Hope it's a help.

Thanks for the resource. Infinitely better than the provided materials. Now I'm mainly struggling with whether I should hang onto these, get Trinovids, or get Sig 3000s. They're amazing but probably overkill.