Leica Geovid HD-B

slim9300

WKR
It looks like Leica hit the nail on the head with their newest Rangefinding Bino.

Button the the right. Check.

Streamlined design that eliminates bulk. Check.

The ability to easily customize for rifle ballistics (and I'm pretty sure archery equipment based on what I have read). Check.

The longest rangefinding distance I have seen advertised. Check.

I'm starting to think the Zeiss RF Binos may be taking a back seat on my wish list. I guess we will see what the reviews look like when they become available.

http://us.leica-camera.com/sport_optics/rangemaster_new/Geovid_new/

bighouse31

Lil-Rokslider
Slim hate to burst your bubble but the new Leica Geovids will not have any angle comp ability below 100 yards do a google search decent amount of info out there already. I spoke to Leica directly and this is what they told me.

wapitibob

WKR
Wonder how many will drop the cash then figure out the thing is worthless for archery. Several have done that on the 1600B.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I looked at the Zeiss and Swarovski RF binocs yesterday at Cabelas. The rf readings about made me go cross eyed. I will stick with the separate unit.

shaun

WKR
I am willing to bet this gets fixed!

I agree! Talking to the Leica guys at SCI they were getting hounded by bowhunters at the convention. They mentioned that they might have something out to include the angle comp by next year. We will see! I did however have a buddy order a set from them

Whisky

WKR
I agree! Talking to the Leica guys at SCI they were getting hounded by bowhunters at the convention. They mentioned that they might have something out to include the angle comp by next year. We will see! I did however have a buddy order a set from them

So you see, sometimes it pays to do a little bitching?! :D

OP
slim9300

slim9300

WKR
Conlan's bubble got burst.

My post from another thread.

Regardless, I don't have an angle compensating rangefinder now for archery and it's not that I couldn't afford one. I actually think its usefulness is very limited and the ones I have seen don't seem to function properly. My buddy has the top of the line Leupold and it's junk compared to my Nikon 880. He is on his third replacement from Leupold. I can't tell you how many times it simply would not range. Light fog, medium fog, brush, heavy rain, etc. In the exact same conditions my Nikon worked like a champ. I have also looked through the Bushnell Chuck Adams and lets just say I couldn't use it either after using my Nikon. I'm realize there are rangefinders that have superior optics than the Nikon, I just doubt most companies ranging ability. That's the only concern I have switching to either the Zeiss or the Leica. Will it work every time like my Nikon does. That's all that really matters to me. I want a rangefinder and Bino in one for archery and rifle hunting.

Last edited:

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I am with you Slim,

I don't think a rangefinder without angle-comp is "useless" to archers.

I do think Leica will cater to the wants of bowhunters with this product soon, though.

I will say that Leica rangefinders are top notch. I had the CRF900 for a while. I didn't really need angle comp because I used it for treestand hunting in the midwest.

Whisky

WKR
It's not a matter of "useless" or not. I could get by without angle comp for the hunting I currently do. However, for me, if I'm spending 3 grand on something, I won't settle for anything less than perfect. That's a lot of money for me, and this would be something I intend to use for a very long time, baring any problems.

Slim, it's funny you mention Leupold, and switching from Nikon to Zeiss or Leica. I used to own Leica, after having to send in my second CRF 1200 I switched to the Zeiss PRF. Just a week or so ago I got a brand new Zeiss PRF back from Zeiss after having to send mine back to Germany. To say I've had issues with rangefinders is an understatement. My brother is sitting on a brand new Leupold that they had replaced for him as well, and has since bought a Bushenll Elite ARC 1600. So far so good with the Bushnell.

I'm keeping my Zeiss PRF new in the box and will look to sell it once these new Fusions hit the market here at the end of February. I really want a combo unit, too.

Rangefinders are a dang finicky thing, no matter the cost.

OP
slim9300

slim9300

WKR
It's not a matter of "useless" or not. I could get by without angle comp for the hunting I currently do. However, for me, if I'm spending 3 grand on something, I won't settle for anything less than perfect. That's a lot of money for me, and this would be something I intend to use for a very long time, baring any problems.

Slim, it's funny you mention Leupold, and switching from Nikon to Zeiss or Leica. I used to own Leica, after having to send in my second CRF 1200 I switched to the Zeiss PRF. Just a week or so ago I got a brand new Zeiss PRF back from Zeiss after having to send mine back to Germany. To say I've had issues with rangefinders is an understatement. My brother is sitting on a brand new Leupold that they had replaced for him as well, and has since bought a Bushenll Elite ARC 1600. So far so good with the Bushnell.

I'm keeping my Zeiss PRF new in the box and will look to sell it once these new Fusions hit the market here at the end of February. I really want a combo unit, too.

Rangefinders are a dang finicky thing, no matter the cost.

I agree. I can tell you that I have owned two Nikons and they have always worked. Obviously, it's not high end glass but I wish Nikon would put their laser technology into a pair of Swaro, Zeiss or Leica binos. I would bet money that would be an unbeatable combo once the R&D was completed. Or at least I could trust it. :)