Leica Geovid Pro Technical Resource

Mhopper5

Lil-Rokslider
In true Leica fashion, the Geovid Pros are feature rich with poor documentation. This is a USERS thread for those who have questions about Geovid pro operation and how to get the most out of its available features. The Rokslide village will write the manual for them:).

If you have general questions regarding the unit, please ask in one of the many other threads already started. The purpose of this thread is technical and prefer it not be cluttered with non technical questions.

OP
M

Mhopper5

Lil-Rokslider
I started the thread so I'll ask the first question:
Does anyone know how to display temperature, pressure, angle like the previous models of Geovids?

OP
M

Mhopper5

Lil-Rokslider
Were you able to connect them to the new "Leica Ballistics" app?
I was. They connected right away with no issue. iphone 13 pro max. The ballistics app doesn't display them either from what I can find. Fingers crossed they come out with an app for the iwatch. I found the Leica hunting app which has iwatch capability, but it wont connect to the geovid pros.

bpurtz

WKR
I started the thread so I'll ask the first question:
Does anyone know how to display temperature, pressure, angle like the previous models of Geovids?

I added the load data into the ballistics app and made it the active profile - when you take a reading with the Geovids, the temperature, pressure, and wind speed (not sure how wind is calculated...) is displayed at the bottom of that profile...

Screen shot...

tempFileForShare_20220428-144757.jpg

OP
M

Mhopper5

Lil-Rokslider
I added the load data into the ballistics app and made it the active profile - when you take a reading with the Geovids, the temperature, pressure, and wind speed (not sure how wind is calculated...) is displayed at the bottom of that profile...

Screen shot...

View attachment 405694
This is concerning because it seems the geovids are not stand alone (a tid bit Leica left out of the commercials). They promote all these fancy features however the bino themselves don't do anything "new" except take a bearing when range finding for the purposes of adding a pin to your basemap. BTW, you have to subscribe to basemap pro for that feature to work, another $39.99/year. Distance and bearing data are sent to the app wear all the "work" is done. I believe the wind speed and direction is taken from a weather app, and the pressure and temp could be doing the same thing as your phone knows where you are. Theoretically the data possibilities are endless through app data and it's cheaper and faster to write a new app then build a new bino. Without your phone in your pocket how useful are these? I still have my geovid HD-B which I was going to sell. I'm having second thoughts now. Yah all the shooting data had to be loaded on a sim card and put in the bino, however no phone needed.

OutdoorAg

WKR
Good thread. There are def folks who are going to be underwhelmed by the techy ness of these. The connectivity maybe a better term.

For me, I’ve waited patiently for a compact RF bin. So these are winners in my book.

Swaro tried, and had to use bottom bumps.

Zeiss tried, and got the button placement all wrong.

Leica tried, and the HDB were just so big. Imo.

The Pros check all the ergo boxes that the others couldn’t.

Mds2004

FNG
I am hoping to purchase these to combine binoculars and RF without having to use my phone as well. Can you not enter the Applied Ballistics information into the binoculars itself, or app the first time for setup, and then range leaving the built-in computer to push out the data on the glass of the binoculars?

Right now I have an older Leica RF1200 from 10ish years ago and want to have to eliminate needing my phone for AB. Putting AB and a rangefinder into compact binoculars would seal the deal for me.

bpurtz

WKR
This is concerning because it seems the geovids are not stand alone (a tid bit Leica left out of the commercials). They promote all these fancy features however the bino themselves don't do anything "new" except take a bearing when range finding for the purposes of adding a pin to your basemap. BTW, you have to subscribe to basemap pro for that feature to work, another $39.99/year. Distance and bearing data are sent to the app wear all the "work" is done. I believe the wind speed and direction is taken from a weather app, and the pressure and temp could be doing the same thing as your phone knows where you are. Theoretically the data possibilities are endless through app data and it's cheaper and faster to write a new app then build a new bino. Without your phone in your pocket how useful are these? I still have my geovid HD-B which I was going to sell. I'm having second thoughts now. Yah all the shooting data had to be loaded on a sim card and put in the bino, however no phone needed.
I think you are correct that the wind is picked up from a weather station, but I'm not sure about the temperature or pressure. I took a yardage reading from inside my barn after the Geovids had been inside my home to "warm back up" The temperature reading in my app shows 74. Plus the technical document in the link below indicates that the Geovid Pro has onboard sensors for temp, pressure, angle, compass.

The bearing pin drop also works with Google maps - I did a 1100 yard reading and it dropped a pin on the trees I ranged...

Last edited:

bpurtz

WKR
I am hoping to purchase these to combine binoculars and RF without having to use my phone as well. Can you not enter the Applied Ballistics information into the binoculars itself, or app the first time for setup, and then range leaving the built-in computer to push out the data on the glass of the binoculars?

Right now I have an older Leica RF1200 from 10ish years ago and want to have to eliminate needing my phone for AB. Putting AB and a rangefinder into compact binoculars would seal the deal for me.
I loaded 3 ballistic profiles into the app. With Geovid bluetooth on, the active profile data is used to calculate the adjustment (I'm using MOA). I turned off the Geovid bluetooth and the Geovids are still calculating and internally displaying the adjustment.

I haven't tried making a different profile the active profile, but I'm certain you would need to turn the Geovid bluetooth back on to upload the data if you want to change to a new profile. Leaving the bluetooth on, displays the MOA adjustment in the app as well as the temperature and pressure.

I have older Geovids as well - I did like the right button push to quickly display the temperature and angle - maybe those will be available in a firmware update??? Idk...

bpurtz

WKR
Looks like maybe you select how the temperature is determined...

At the bottom of the active profile, you choose either the weather station icon, geovid icon, or input your own temperature with the hand icon.

Screenshot_20220428-173648_Leica Ballistics.jpg

OP
M

Mhopper5

Lil-Rokslider
I loaded 3 ballistic profiles into the app. With Geovid bluetooth on, the active profile data is used to calculate the adjustment (I'm using MOA). I turned off the Geovid bluetooth and the Geovids are still calculating and internally displaying the adjustment.

I haven't tried making a different profile the active profile, but I'm certain you would need to turn the Geovid bluetooth back on to upload the data if you want to change to a new profile. Leaving the bluetooth on, displays the MOA adjustment in the app as well as the temperature and pressure.

I have older Geovids as well - I did like the right button push to quickly display the temperature and angle - maybe those will be available in a firmware update??? Idk...
It would like to know for sure if the binos give compensation data without having the phone with you.

Mds2004

FNG

Thank you. I am totally fine using the app and Bluetooth to upload data because it will be entered before going to the field.

bpurtz

WKR
I called a Leica rep to inquire about a feature that didn't seem to be described in the instruction manual...

On previous Geovid models, the right button would display temperature and angle. The sensors are still in the Geovid Pro, but to view the temperature output, you need to have the Geovid Pro bluetooth the data to the Leica Ballistic app then view on your phone.

The right button on the Geovid Pro is now used to input wind speed and direction for a ballistic compensation. With the first push of the right button, the text "spd" appears (speed) - press and/or hold the left button and choose the wind speed between 0-40 mph. Press the right button a second time and the text "dir" appears (direction) - press and/or hold the left button and choose the direction based on the orientation of a clock 1-12.

Once wind speed and direction is set, press the left button and you should have an elevation compensation and a windage compensation.

Last edited:
OP
M

Mhopper5

Lil-Rokslider
I did some low light glassing in the neighborhood this evening and I noticed some things I hope are fixable. There is a 1, 3, or 5 minute setting for when the range finder "circle" times out. I have mine set on 3. What I found after taking a reading was a red circle still illuminated floating in my field of vision for the next three minutes. In the middle of the day it might not be so noticeable, but at low light it's really distracting even on the lowest setting.

I also noticed the blue tooth icon starts blinking when you close the app. As soon as you open the app it connects and goes away. When my phone goes dark or I switch apps, the blinking starts again. Pair this with what I mentioned above and it's really annoying.

If someone finds a fix or is having a different experience please post.

bpurtz

WKR
I did some low light glassing in the neighborhood this evening and I noticed some things I hope are fixable. There is a 1, 3, or 5 minute setting for when the range finder "circle" times out. I have mine set on 3. What I found after taking a reading was a red circle still illuminated floating in my field of vision for the next three minutes. In the middle of the day it might not be so noticeable, but at low light it's really distracting even on the lowest setting.

I also noticed the blue tooth icon starts blinking when you close the app. As soon as you open the app it connects and goes away. When my phone goes dark or I switch apps, the blinking starts again. Pair this with what I mentioned above and it's really annoying.

If someone finds a fix or is having a different experience please post.
When turned on, the BT icon blinks in my 3200.com as well - I just turned the BT off in my Geovids. Seems like I read somewhere that leaving the BT on will cause your Geovid battery to drain much faster.

parshal

WKR
I changed the display timeout to 1 minute. It reduces the annoying circle and blinky bluetooth. Once I've got mine all figured out bluetooth will be turned off unless I need to connect to the app to change a profile.

I was able to get it connected to the Kestrel without issue. Connecting to the Tactix watch doesn't work. The watch doesn't find the Pro.

On the active profile in the app while connected you'll see three little circles at the bottom. It looks like it can use a station (phone?), binos or manual to set temp, pressure and wind speed.

• Easy menu on the binos
  • Ability to leave a wind call in the binos (I leave mine a 10 or 15 mph). It's much easier to use than the way the Fury's implemented it using the compass and multiple buttons
  • Able to read 2000 yards without a tripod
  • I projected a waypoint using google maps and the gps tracker. The built in gps tracker seems much easier to use that google maps
  • Compass calibration is easier than the Fury
Dislikes:

• I expected a bit better glass. 8x32 ELs are quite a bit brighter. They are quite a brighter than the Vortex Fury. I no longer have my Zeiss Victory RF but remember them being a bit brighter than these. Still real good glass but I guess I just expected more
  • Every time I go to the Leica Pro Track menu it tells me I need to recalibrate the compass even if I just did it.
  • I really wish it could be programmed to show the dope before the yardage or be able to change the time between the screens. Using this at matches I need to quickly know the dope. Ranging four targets and waiting eight seconds total for the dope eats time. It sounds rather ridiculous but it's important.
  • The red circle being left on is really weird.

bpurtz

WKR
I figured out a work around to use the location tracker with OnX. If you choose GPS Tracker (instead of Basemap or Google Maps), the lat/log coordinates are displayed - I was able to manually input the coordinates into OnX and mark the tracked location. I'm guessing you could do this with any topo map application.