Leica Geovid Pro Technical Resource

GS66

FNG
Spoke with Leica today about the "geolocation" on the maps. Currently, it's not working the way most would want it to work, as after ranging the animal, and taking the shot, there's no "last distance measured" feature - once you're in the maps, you have to range the spot again before getting a pin drop on the map. They are working on changing that, so the last 5 button presses (5 last distances measured) are available to choose from, so you can get a pin drop in maps - similar to how the Swarovski EL Range TA function stores the last 3 button press (range) locations. I hope it comes soon.

I expect backlash for this but I’m over it.

My hope and intent was to create a technical resource for users of the new Leica Geovid Pros. Instructions are not always clear or complete on highly technical instruments, as I have found with these. My hope and intent was to avoid philosophical discussions measured in inches by armchair users on minutia that the majority don’t care about. When the technical resource ceases to be just that, no one will read it. The binoculars are new and many people will have questions and I wanted to capture the most common questions here for everyone’s benefit. I’m sure I’ll get blasted for this but I don’t care. I won’t respond to the hate speech or the trolling that results. You didn’t scare me off I’m choosing not to respond in advance. I’m just bummed this is what it turned into. Enjoy your philosophy.
no backlash, said nothing scary, no hate speech or trolling, if you took it that way that's on you but don't project stuff like that back on me

it's a great thread, and a great thread shouldn't have to be all ra ra ra hurray...devils advocates should be a part of any of these 'new shiny's' to keep it as real as possible as we know how things go after the initial glow ups, classifieds don't lie, nor the tests/comparisons that come 6 months to a year down the road by those unphased by new gear launches and don't bother comparing until it's been out awhile and easily available

leica is best of the best, in handheld rf's, alpha rf binos, and alpha binos, resale and quality will always be there, you can't actually go wrong with leica imo, I am a leica hoe, these 32's will be fantastic no question, the chances they are going to solve world hunger optically though are likely about the same as the rest of their alpha rf line up

many get burned by new shiny hype trains so nothing wrong with trying to get real from the get go and a duty to your fellow gear junkies wallets to be as tough and pessimistic on these as possible from the start, that's all, it's not like you're gonna sell them for a profit if they don't give you what you want, we all take the hit to play first and it's fun to do, but they will sell fast and for good coin regardless if they work out or not so no need to get glazed over on a new piece of gear even though it's your investment

carry on and get technical about the technical as that's where the bulk of the hype is on these new rockstar binos, we will get over this together ;)

OP
M

Mhopper5

Lil-Rokslider
I suggest buying one of each and comparing the two side by side... like I did. I don't buy into the marketing hype on it's own.
I had an opportunity today for some more testing. Looking at a dark hill about 300 yards away with the sun just above the hill shinning directly in my face. Looking at the dark hill through Leica ultravids 10x42 the image had glare and it would be difficult to find anything. The image had so much glare that I wouldn’t spend time looking in that direction until the sun went behind the hill. However with the Geovid pros they cut through the glare and I could see well enough to spot game if it was there. I find this surprising as the ultravids “should” have better glass and a brighter image. Not sure why the geovids did better but they did 🤷‍♂️

Edit: for clarification the image through the geovids wasn’t perfect but enough to see and get the job done.

Last edited:

parshal

WKR
I had created two profiles and synced one to the Leica a couple weeks ago. I used the binos this weekend and disabled bluetooth. Last night I turned on BT, connected and then noticed my two profiles were set back to default profiles. I had to rebuild.

Anyone else have this happen?

OP
M

Mhopper5

Lil-Rokslider
My profiles are still there. I’ve turned the BT on and off several times. It’s been over a week since I’ve paired with my phone. No issues here so far.

GS66

FNG
Anyone able to use Basemap with the Geovid Pro? When I click on the "Leica Pro Track" in the app, BaseMap shows "coming soon" and it's been like that since day 1....

Thanks

OP
M

Mhopper5

Lil-Rokslider
GS66,
Did you happen to see any of the earlier posts regarding basemaps and getting incorrect way points? I feel the error is with the Leica internal compass, not the basemaps app. Make sure you upgrade to the pro version, it's not a feature in the standard version.

OP
M

Mhopper5

Lil-Rokslider
Just received my Pros...any updates to report on pin drops in BaseMap?
I'm glad you asked. I've been meaning to post about this for a while but haven't got around to it. I found the below YouTube video on how to calibrate the compass. I was doing it wrong, I was holding the binos horizontal for the figure 8 movement. Once I switched to vertical motion, the way points are within GPS tolerances. It's accurate enough now that I'm happy. 1 minute 16 seconds.

BjornF16

WKR
Glad to hear the remote pin drop issue is resolved...

I did find this video also that demonstrates the ability to "adjust" the remote pin on BaseMap:

BjornF16

WKR
Playing around with the Leica today…properly calibrated. Successful Remote Pin Drop (after I turned the binocular BT on). While only 150 yards, the direction was correct.

Looks like my Fury AB going up for sale…

OP
M

Mhopper5

Lil-Rokslider
Glad to hear the remote pin drop issue is resolved...

I did find this video also that demonstrates the ability to "adjust" the remote pin on BaseMap:

Thanks for posting the video.

Couple things to note:
1) 0:45- he says "awake." Had to listen to it several times
2) 1:09- My comment from May 2 under "Likes" about using left hand-confirmed by a youtuber

hntmor

Lil-Rokslider
Is there a reason that there is individual eye piece focus adjustment? I don’t understand, even the setup instructions address your initial focus setup the same as every other set, use the main focus to setup the left eye, then the right eyepiece is focused.
I sure wish they were locking after setup.
I’ve noticed the forward lense caps are a bit of a PITA to push back in if not close to square.
I’m very disappointed in edge-to-edge clarity on my 8x set, the bottom is noticeably blurry when focused on my target, even though the bottom edge is the same object I’m looking at.
Also, I am pretty suspect of these gaps in the bino body, this is the worst side but both have them. I wouldn’t expect this from a nearly $3000 set of binos.
26C396B9-B4EF-4591-8B46-318BF89C8099.jpeg

OP
M

Mhopper5

Lil-Rokslider
Is there a reason that there is individual eye piece focus adjustment? I don’t understand, even the setup instructions address your initial focus setup the same as every other set, use the main focus to setup the left eye, then the right eyepiece is focused.
I sure wish they were locking after setup.
I’ve noticed the forward lense caps are a bit of a PITA to push back in if not close to square.
I’m very disappointed in edge-to-edge clarity on my 8x set, the bottom is noticeably blurry when focused on my target, even though the bottom edge is the same object I’m looking at.
Also, I am pretty suspect of these gaps in the bino body, this is the worst side but both have them. I wouldn’t expect this from a nearly $3000 set of binos.
View attachment 459477
The left one (white) adjusts the diopter for the left eye. The right (red) focuses the display read out.

McFraser

FNG
I’m in the market for one and I have so many questions. How do you update to Applied Ballistics Elite? Do you still use the Leica app after the update or the applied ballistic app?

HuntQuietly

Not associated with the Hunt Quietly organization
First post (registered just to weigh in here).

I recently purchased some Geovid Pros because my 3200coms proved worthless on a prairie dog hunt in terms of pairing with (and staying connected) to a kestrel elite.

I’ve come up the curve with HD-Bs and Zeiss range binos with drops before that.

The pros connect better both to the phone and the kestrel - but I have been completely unable to successfully calibrate the compass. It does NOT work like the Leica yt video on calibration.

As a result, the pro track and/or using the binos as a DOF indicator while paired with a kestrel is completely worthless. Same for any coriolis correction. I mean it’s waaaay off. So clearly the compass isn’t calibrated/working.

Has ANYONE been successful with calibrating their unit and had success with direction of fire usage? It didn’t seem like it from all the posts. Does it truly work like the Leica YouTube video?

I’m fixing to send these back but wanted to see if anyone has successfully and reliably made it work before I do so.

HuntQuietly

Not associated with the Hunt Quietly organization
Does it work the way little video shows? Meaning , the little button in the bottom of the screen shows “Calibrating” and when you’re done with the first tilting back and forth part - it automatically switches to the next figure-8 part? Or do you have to hit the “next step” button and so forth? And when it’s done does it automatically close the calibration process or do you have to actually hit the “complete calibration” button at the bottom of the screen?